Page 8 of 25 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Feels like wearing synthetic skin or a hologram over the faceplate over the faceplate for his downtime should be child's play.

Plenty of characters do it, Metallo regularly puts on fake-skin when he's in disguise or wants to look normal before busting out the scary metal skeleton face.
    It works as a character beat as some people do get skin grafts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I was thinking an "image inducer" like what Nightcrawler used to use when he wanted to walk around town. There's no reason he should wear it around his friends or if he's just at home playing video games, but if he feels like going out and seeing a movie or getting a burger, it would work a lot better than pulling a hoodie up.
    The Motherbox origin would help with that.

I feel like he should have a human body and be a technokine or machine empath or some new combination of the too. I don't think he needs a connection to Apokolips as since its pairing it has only been the portent to fail mode and more inhuman treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I feel like he should have a human body and be a technokine or machine empath or some new combination of the too. I don't think he needs a connection to Apokolips as since its pairing it has only been the portent to fail mode and more inhuman treatment.
    He already has a mother box since the New 52. It became the standard as it was used in the Snyder film, the animated films and Young Justice.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Despite Ray Fisher-Booyah! If Sheldon Cooper can his sayings on shirts-why not Cyborg.
    That's actually a fine idea. As far as marketing goes, that could work. Not as well as a purely visual costume element but good enough for what Vic needs.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think the problem people usually have with the faceplate isn't so much that he has it, but rather that he always has it. It's not like the Superman shield or the Batcowl, you don't see Bruce going to business meetings with the cowl,
    I think everyone agrees with that one. Even those of us who think the plate should remain still think that Vic needs the ability to change his form and look "normal" when he wants to.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    I think the problem people usually have with the faceplate isn't so much that he has it, but rather that he always has it. It's not like the Superman shield or the Batcowl, you don't see Bruce going to business meetings with the cowl, Victor has the faceplate all the time no matter where he goes or what he does. If he had it only while "in costume" I think people would be more open to it, but since it's part of his "everyday" look given that he has no alter ego or generally much of a life outside of being Cyborg, I think that's where a lot of the contention about the faceplate tends to come from.
    that's a failing of the modern comics. He USED TO have a life where he actually dressed in normal clothes.

When did he stop wearing clothes, was it the 2000s?
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

The face plate on Cyborg is an instantly recognizable visual for the character. Most characters would kill to have an instantly recognizable visual. While characters can have doifferent looks, it makes no sense to remove the one thing people most recognize them for. You don't see them redesigning Batman without pointy ears or have Superman without his big red cape (Well once, but everybody hated it.)

If you stuck something like this...

or this ...

Into a background shot, I'm not going to know who it is. I'll just assume that it's some kind of generic 90s reject design. On the flipside you can redesign Cyclops of the X-men anyway you want, as long as you leave that visor on him.
    Lol, fam you killed your own argument, that top image is lit AF! That light years better version of Cyborg than what we have now. DC can roll that out tonight as his new look. It's ridiculous to say it would be hard to market that image. While we're on the topic of marketing Cyborg as a hero, I think that you are missing what could be a cool conversation about black perspective on a clearly black hero. Maybe white fans don't care about Cyborg looking cool, but there are many black fans and would be fans that definitely want a hero with all the bells and whistles, not just anxiety from cybernetic body dysmorphia and isolation issues.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    that's a failing of the modern comics. He USED TO have a life where he actually dressed in normal clothes.
    A TON of folks use to have a life and balance being a hero with being a private citizen.

Miss those days.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

The face plate on Cyborg is an instantly recognizable visual for the character. Most characters would kill to have an instantly recognizable visual. While characters can have doifferent looks, it makes no sense to remove the one thing people most recognize them for. You don't see them redesigning Batman without pointy ears or have Superman without his big red cape (Well once, but everybody hated it.)

If you stuck something like this...

Into a background shot, I'm not going to know who it is. I'll just assume that it's some kind of generic 90s reject design. On the flipside you can redesign Cyclops of the X-men anyway you want, as long as you leave that visor on him.
    Huh I just realized the redeye look brings to mind Raiden from Metal Gear Rising

It's not even the faceplate that bothers me, its how robotic his body is. You have half his face and that's it. The face plate is fine, drives the point of Cyborg at home, they just need to mesh the cybernetics and actual skin better.

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    When did he stop wearing clothes, was it the 2000s?
    N52? I swear he had on clothes in the second Titans run and John's Teen Titans but I'm way too lazy to look it up.

The cartoon might've also played a part in that.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

I should point out that Raiden has a much more robotic and borderline nightmarish design than just about anything Victor has had and is still an immensely popular character.

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol, fam you killed your own argument, that top image is lit AF! That light years better version of Cyborg than what we have now. DC can roll that out tonight as his new look. It's ridiculous to say it would be hard to market that image. While we're on the topic of marketing Cyborg as a hero, I think that you are missing what could be a cool conversation about black perspective on a clearly black hero. Maybe white fans don't care about Cyborg looking cool, but there are many black fans and would be fans that definitely want a hero with all the bells and whistles, not just anxiety from cybernetic body dysmorphia and isolation issues.
    That top image is fire, personally I'd remove some of the tacticool elements and add the 'C' on the belt.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

BANNED

Best face:

Best costume besides the face:

Actual art from a DC video game:

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-15-2023 at 07:24 AM.

BANNED

Best take on his powers, even if there have been better takes on his appearance:

Best personality:

I was in middle school when the 2003 Titans came out and introduced me to the character, and I had no problem seeing Lee Thompson Young (RIP) as Cyborg, despite how different the take was.

Last edited by SecretWarrior; 02-15-2023 at 07:32 AM.

Incredible Member

For me, I'd just like Cyborg to have a civilian life as Vic Stone and more importantly, as a fine black man.

Couple this with how advanced comic-verse tech is generally (not to talk about him as a character given that's his whole shtick), it makes no sense why he doesn't/ can't have one.

The removal of the faceplate, which I don't have a problem with within this context, becomes irrelevant if he can have a life as a "human".

As Cyborg, I'd like him to have different levels to his design/costume:

Tier 1: light design akin to his early YA adaptation/ his last solo ("sleevless" look) when hanging out at the watchtower etc;

Tier 2: light armor, full coverage save for his face (think he had something similar to a light armor in his last solo too);

Tier 3: early New 52 Tank Mode for full on battle.

**of course these would be baseline concepts. The actual design/color/etcetera would be better

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    It's just tends to be folks at various places that seem to have issues with POC doing anything. Along with those who think Cyborg has nothing but that look to him. Ignoring everything else about him. That he HAS to look that way because it's iconic while everyone else gets to change looks.

1) No more man versus machine stories.

2) If he has all this tech let see it put to use.

3) No more getting hacked into by Joe Nobody.

4) No more getting torn apart by T'Challa's kinfolks.

5) Let him change looks. In term of business more looks more different version of action figures. What as Alias and The Pretender? Shows about folks who could be whatever they wanted. Lets see Cyborg do that.

6) Since he has a mother box-lets get some adventures with Exxy on other planets or realities. AKA Dr Who.

7) Since he is linked to Star Labs-let build up a supporting cast-I can dig up unused regular folks from other franchises to use for a cast (and leave the door open for others to guest star)

8) Get an editor who gives a BLEEP about Cyborg-no more Harvey Richard starter kits.

9) Get a writer who will WRITE about Cyborg and not self insert nonsense. No Cyborg fighting cops or the Klan. Right it should be about building up Cyborg not pandering to folks on Twitter that scream Cyborg is not black if he is not being written as everything bad that happens to black folks-happen to Cyborg.

10) Do not hire anyone who seems to hate being black or has issues with black men. See Black Panther since 2016.

Yeah, can get behind this list too.
    (There needs to be a "Like" button on the forum).