Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default DC Hero Who Used To Be A Big Deal Now Doesn't Seem That Big Anymore

It's only natural (I guess) that the hero dynamics change over the years. Once very popular heroes are now shoved to the backburner.

Who is one of your favorite DC heroes who used to be a huge deal in the DC Universe who just isn't such a big deal anymore to TPTB at DC Comics?

All the names I would've said seem to actually be getting a push now - Superboy, Supergirl, the younger Batgirls, the core Titans, the Flash family... I guess Wonder Girl Cassie Sandsmark? She seems to be limboed now. Bart's appearing in The Flash, Tim and Conner both have their own books and also appear in Batman and Action Comics respectively. But Cassie seems to have been set aside in favour of Yara Flor.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Constable of Continuity Gero4568's Avatar

The Linda Danvers Supergirl had a series that went on for eighty issues, and now it's debatable if she ever even existed.
    Pull List: Detective Comics, Batman, Flash, Justice League, Future State

The government wants the truth. I want the truth. And one way or another, we're all going to get it

-Donna Troy

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Captain Marvel is one of their best characters and yet they seemingly always sideline him for massive periods of time.

Retired

Tomahawk. Debuted in STAR-SPANGLED COMICS 69 (June 1947) and had a steady gig in that title until issue 130 (July 1952). Got his own title, TOMAHAWK which ran from issue 1 (September-October 1950) until issue 130 (September-October 1970) with Tomahawk as the featured character; however, the TOMAHAWK run continued with Hawk, Son of Tomahawk, as the main character, issue 131 (November-December 1970) to 140 (May-June 1972). Then LIMITED COLLECTORS' EDITION C-47 (August-September 1976): "Superman Salutes the Bicentennial"--despite that title and Superman on the cover--was actually an all Tomahawk reprint issue, featuring the artwork of Fred Ray.

He’s not one of my favorite characters but I would say Captain Atom

Quote Originally Posted by Gero4568 View Post
    The Linda Danvers Supergirl had a series that went on for eighty issues, and now it's debatable if she ever even existed.
    I would love a Linda Danvers mini by Peter David
    Last edited by Twice-named; 01-25-2023 at 08:53 PM.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

From what I can gather there was a time where Legion of Superheroes was a very hot property and for whatever reason nobody’s been able to recapture that level of success in decades.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    It's only natural (I guess) that the hero dynamics change over the years. Once very popular heroes are now shoved to the backburner.

Who is one of your favorite DC heroes who used to be a huge deal in the DC Universe who just isn't such a big deal anymore to TPTB at DC Comics?
    I don't know if he was ever a big deal exactly, but I remember Sand Hawkins being so prominent in the 2000s JSA series. He was arguably the main character for a good while. I don't remember the last time he even had a line of dialogue.

Kyle Rayner is another candidate. Once upon a time, the three main GLs were considered Alan, Hal, and Kyle, with John and Guy bring viewed more as supporting characters in the mythos. Now he's just one in a huge group and John is far more prominent.

Astonishing Member

Piano Man and Elephant Man

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    Captain Marvel is one of their best characters and yet they seemingly always sideline him for massive periods of time.
    Is he ever a big deal when he's around though? 'Cause I get the feeling DC stole Billy with that fradulent lawsuit and then didn't do much with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    From what I can gather there was a time where Legion of Superheroes was a very hot property and for whatever reason nobody’s been able to recapture that level of success in decades.
    From what I hear, Legion were so big that they took over Adventure Comics from Superboy, and that's huge if true lol.

I wonder how much the Legion's own success were done by people besides Levitz though, he wrote it for a long time, like, 8 years? Did any writers after him maintain its quality for a while? Then again, considering Levitz only starting writing them in the 80's, they likely were huge since before him too...

It's such a shame writers can't make it work, 'cause Legion hs the huge benefit of being practically standalone, 30th century means they don't have to care about other comics, that in theory should make it much easier to get invested with them, too bad DC reboots and unreboots them so much that it's hard to keep track of what the **** is going on...
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Kyle Rayner?

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I second the Marvel Family. He was the Fourth major IP after the Trinity at one point. I won't belabour the anti-heroing of Black Adam and the third tiering of Cap. But there it is.

Kyle Rayner. I guess the overabundance of GLs, the drop in popularity of the entire franchise in general after the 2011 film and DC wanting to push Jamie as their premiere Latino superhero (I kind of get it but I don't get why they can't have Jaime/Kyle team-ups more often) have all contributed to Kyle being sidelined in a jarring way.

Firestorm = I was never a fan but he was huge at one point.

WW2 heroes. (Outside of the Bruce Campbell Sgt Rock mini) they've pretty much fallen to the wayside as time marches further and further away from the war.

Starman (Jack Knight) Hugely popular series in the 90's,....I hardly ever see him pop up anymore.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Kyle Rayner
    Firestorm (Jason)
    Starman (Jack)
    Legion of Super Heroes
    Booster Gold
    Guy Gardner
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.