Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

"By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I forgot to post earlier, but luckily my cover hasn't been selected.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LordMikel; 01-28-2023 at 06:10 PM.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

The biggest eyes of the Marvel Universe.

Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Question, how would you define this Optic Power? It's from the Webcomic Grrl Power

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Question, how would you define this Optic Power? It's from the Webcomic Grrl Power

I'd say he's a teleporter, except that where the majority of folks in comics with this power either wave their hands around or simply concentrate, in his case the energy that makes it happen has to physically come out of his eyes.

30.jpg

So many good choices! Hard to choose!
    Last edited by Optimus; 01-28-2023 at 09:55 AM.

Astonishing Member

Who was the first comics character (or, for that matter, the first character in fiction in general) to use an optic blast? It's not an obvious sort of super-power. After all, emitting energy from your eyes is the very opposite of how eyes actually work. It would be like emitting sonic blasts from your ears.

I reckon it's gotta be Superman's heat vision, once it became a separate power to his x-ray vision.

It was almost certainly the Comet, who first appeared in Pep Comics #1 in 1940, who could fire disintegration beams from his eyes.

According to one of Brian Cronin's "When First We Met", (here), Superman first used the heat of his X-ray vision (to melt a glacier) in 1949's Superman #59.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    It was almost certainly the Comet, who first appeared in Pep Comics #1 in 1940, who could fire disintegration beams from his eyes.

According to one of Brian Cronin's "When First We Met", (here), Superman first used the heat of his X-ray vision (to melt a glacier) in 1949's Superman #59.
    I stand corrected. Thank you!

Last edited by Ajax_X; 01-29-2023 at 02:18 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    It again seems counter-intuitive that Superman's x-ray vision would work by his emitting x-rays from his eyes. After all, he doesn't emit light from his eyes to see in the normal visible wavelengths.

Frank Brunner/Steve Leialoha

Interestingly there is a big empty space at the top of the cover above the comics code and banner. I learned this space was used for the UK editions, which would read "Full Color Comics." Perhaps, at the time, full color was unusual for comics in the UK?
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-29-2023 at 10:35 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    It again seems counter-intuitive that Superman's x-ray vision would work by his emitting x-rays from his eyes. After all, he doesn't emit light from his eyes to see in the normal visible wavelengths.
    If you're looking for rigorous logical and/or scientific explanations, comic books might not be the right hobby for you.