Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Is the Earth One franchise dead?

Given all the changes going on at DC right now, do we know if this franchise has a future? I'm talking specifically about the OGNs. I know Johns was working on the Batman books but he's already got three of them under his belt and both Superman and WW got three books. Morrison's run is finished and J. M. Straczynski said he was retiring from comics but came back. Do we know if there are any more books coming down the pipe in this line or is it pretty much done? There were rumors of a Flash book at one point.
    Assassinate Putin!

It's probably dead and was replaced by the imprints. But maybe the proposed Flash and Aquaman books will come out one day.

Extraordinary Member

Out of the one's that I remember coming out, my favorite was the WW books, followed by the Batman one's. My absolute least favorite were the Teen Titans ones. Never really even flipped through the GL one that came out. Anyone know if there was more than one?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Incredible Member StarSpangledMan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Out of the one's that I remember coming out, my favorite was the WW books, followed by the Batman one's. My absolute least favorite were the Teen Titans ones. Never really even flipped through the GL one that came out. Anyone know if there was more than one?
    Yeah a second volume came out as well. Third one was planned but shelved when the Earth One line ended. That was a bummer because the GL ones were easily my favourite and actually utilised the concept of Earth One as a vehicle to tell reimagined, modernised origin stories the best imo.

Incredible Member

I feel they are definitely done. With how the last Batman one felt on how it wrapped I just don’t see it. Shame as Earth One was a neat project very little connections to each book but still there were some gems.

I liked most of them but they felt underwhelming. I'd sat the weakest were Superman and Batman but those were cause those reimagings are done often. So there are many books that cover that area and the competition is steep.

It would've been better off as the home of the New 52 instead of rebooting it. Three Jokers would've benefited from being set here instead of canon.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-25-2023 at 07:00 PM.

One of the authors of the GL book said there's no Vol. 3 coming so pretty much.

GL ones were the best of the bunch, Superman and Batmans were just okay, and WW's was brought down by it's art and didn't get actually good until the final volume.

Never read Titans, lol.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dornwolf View Post
    I feel they are definitely done. With how the last Batman one felt on how it wrapped I just don’t see it. Shame as Earth One was a neat project very little connections to each book but still there were some gems.
    Both the Superman and Batman ones ended on cliffhangers. It's one of the reasons I wondered if there was more coming. I feel like the Superman one is done but Johns could still take up the Batman one if he felt like it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Sadly it's indeed very much dead.

I really enjoyed the Superman and Batman books, as well as GL. I read a little of WW volume one but didn't care for Morrison's take.

Earth One and the New 52 will always remain tied together in my mind. If the New 52 creators had told their tales in the Earth One format, they'd have been even bigger sellers and the DCU of the time could have continued without a reboot. Imagine how much better Morrison's Action run would have been if he'd been able to tell more stories of that young Superman, for example. JMS and Johns could have worked on other characters or followed Morrison and Snyder on their respective titles. As much as I loathe what Snyder has done in recent years, his early Batman work was solid and would have been even better with no continuity constraints.

Green Lantern writer was ready to go with the third volume but was told DC wanted to go in a different direction, so unless they change their mind, we probably won't see that. Aquaman was shelved when Manupal left DC. He has stated that he would like to finish it, as he really wants to tell the story. If he returns to DC, maybe one day? I believe he had it close to being done. Aquaman went from Earth One to the 5G Aquaman story, back to Earth One. There was some promo art released for it. I liked the line overall, with the GL ones being my favorite and WW my least favorite.
    Last edited by chachi; 01-25-2023 at 08:31 PM.

The only one I want to see more of is the Green Lantern one. I am a sucker for hard sci-fi.

But no thank you to Morrison's WW. He actually pooped on her origin harder than Azzarello which was difficult to imagine as a possibility at one point.
    Last edited by Stanlos; 01-25-2023 at 09:54 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Wasn't there supposed to be a Teen Titans volume 3 and a Aquaman in the works?

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    Wasn't there supposed to be a Teen Titans volume 3 and a Aquaman in the works?
    I'm not sure about TT volume 3 but Aquaman and Flash were announced.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I'm not sure about TT volume 3 but Aquaman and Flash were announced.
    Wondering if those two projects were just quietly cancelled when the DC line was culled and became predominantly Bat books?
    Seems like there was some behind the scenes cost cutting and wouldn't doubt that the Earth One line fell victim to it.