Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Couldn't DC just publish the OGNs under the Black Label line? DC has used Black Label as a catchall for various stories whether they would have been Vertigo or Young Animal in past lives.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Both the Superman and Batman ones ended on cliffhangers. It's one of the reasons I wondered if there was more coming. I feel like the Superman one is done but Johns could still take up the Batman one if he felt like it.
    While I got I got that vibe from Superman I never really felt like Batman’s was a cliffhanger. More like Johns speedrunning ideas either to get them out there or to tease them to continue interest. Since characters like Robin just is there.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    Couldn't DC just publish the OGNs under the Black Label line? DC has used Black Label as a catchall for various stories whether they would have been Vertigo or Young Animal in past lives.
    While they could continue the Earth One franchise that way, I think the bigger question is "do they have any interest in doing that?"
    Kinda seems like they are quietly letting Earth One OGNs die, but maybe that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    While they could continue the Earth One franchise that way, I think the bigger question is "do they have any interest in doing that?"
    Kinda seems like they are quietly letting Earth One OGNs die, but maybe that's just me.
    Without having access to sales opportunities and data, I'm not sure what DC is looking at when they make decisions. I'd imagine they would keep the continuity free OGN format for major characters on the table as those would seem to have abetter chance of becoming evergreen works.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Wondering if those two projects were just quietly cancelled when the DC line was culled and became predominantly Bat books?
    Seems like there was some behind the scenes cost cutting and wouldn't doubt that the Earth One line fell victim to it.
    I could see that happening. I'm curious what they would've been like.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Black Label line seems to be the new home for out of continuity OGNs so the question is, do they even need EO anymore? When it started it was clearly intended to be a more creator friendly take on Marvel's Ultimates line.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    The only one I want to see more of is the Green Lantern one. I am a sucker for hard sci-fi.

But no thank you to Morrison's WW. He actually pooped on her origin harder than Azzarello which was difficult to imagine as a possibility at one point.
    The hilarious thing is that Rucka and JH Williams were going to get the project before Morrison and Rucka probably did that terrible run Action Comics and Blackest Night WW just to get it only for them to yank it away to Morrison. Apparently that really burned their bridge with him until Rebirth.

https://www.cbr.com/rucka-and-willia...man-earth-one/

Probably one of the most smooth brain takes I have ever seen.

Given all the changes going on at DC right now, do we know if this franchise has a future? I'm talking specifically about the OGNs. I know Johns was working on the Batman books but he's already got three of them under his belt and both Superman and WW got three books. Morrison's run is finished and J. M. Straczynski said he was retiring from comics but came back. Do we know if there are any more books coming down the pipe in this line or is it pretty much done? There were rumors of a Flash book at one point.
    Not going to happen. It's pretty clear the entire thing was spearheaded by the former departed publisher of DC.

The Black Label line seems to be the new home for out of continuity OGNs so the question is, do they even need EO anymore? When it started it was clearly intended to be a more creator friendly take on Marvel's Ultimates line.
    It was basically DC's We-have-the-Ultimate-line @ home 2.0 like All-Star, New 52, 5G, etc. Except that interest in trying to do DC's Ultimate line is probably dead because the publisher that was obsessed with this is gone.
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-26-2023 at 07:21 PM.

I cringe every time I read the line about Morrison "putting the sex back in Wonder Woman". The guy had WW born of rape. #Choices

Like LITERAL rape. Way to one up Azzarello and the imbalanced power in the Hippolyte and Zeus pairing, itself making consent ... questionable at best. Then along comes Morrison to say screw "questionable".
    Last edited by Stanlos; 01-26-2023 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    I cringe every time I read the line about Morrison "putting the sex back in Wonder Woman". The guy had WW born of rape. #Choices

Like LITERAL rape. Way to one up Azzarello and the imbalanced power in the Hippolyte and Zeus pairing, itself making consent ... questionable at best. Then along comes Morrison to say screw "questionable".
    It wasn’t “literal rape”:

Hippolyta willingly made Diana as a method of revenge, she lays it all out in Vol. 1. Diana is a test tube baby. No need to make things worse by exaggerating, simply giving Diana a father is a bad idea.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-27-2023 at 12:09 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Sometimes I feel like people critizing Azz's or Morrison's WW haven't read those works.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Sometimes I feel like people critizing Azz's or Morrison's WW haven't read those works.
    I read both actually. However, I did miss the distinction that Hippolyte's "oppression" by Hercules did not directly result in Diana's creation.

Not really. They could just use Black Label for the same purpose.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I actually kind of liked Azz's take on WW and point to it as exhibit A as to why New 52 should have been an Ultimates line. I think a lot of people misunderstood what Morrison was doing. Morrison thought he was doing what Marsten would want. Whether or not that's true is up for debate.
    Assassinate Putin!

I actually kind of liked Azz's take on WW and point to it as exhibit A as to why New 52 should have been an Ultimates line. I think a lot of people misunderstood what Morrison was doing. Morrison thought he was doing what Marsten would want. Whether or not that's true is up for debate.
    Now that you say that, it does hold a lot in common with that verse where bizarre scenarios came to be. I am still scarred by Quicksilver and ScarletnWitch

Incredible Member

Personally, EARTH-1 should have just been the Silver Age world of the DCU, goofy-ness and all. I understand the point of the imprint (?), but it would have been easier to "format" a new Earth.