Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I'm hoping an imprint focused on the Multiverse takes its place.

Give me the Earth 6 imprint based on Stan Lee's take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-28-2023 at 07:46 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    It wasn’t “literal rape”:

Hippolyta willingly made Diana as a method of revenge, she lays it all out in Vol. 1. Diana is a test tube baby.
    This is the way I've always interpreted it. Glad to know I wasn't reading it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Sometimes I feel like people critizing Azz's or Morrison's WW haven't read those works.
    I often feel the same.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I actually kind of liked Azz's take on WW...
    Azz's WW run was one of the few books of the nu52 that actually stood out as absolutely outstanding.

I think a lot of people misunderstood what Morrison was doing. Morrison thought he was doing what Marsten would want. Whether or not that's true is up for debate.
    I think this is why I liked it the most.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

I read the line was shelved.

The world(s) still exist, so someone else could revive it as a series with no fancey label or line.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    I read the line was shelved.

The world(s) still exist, so someone else could revive it as a series with no fancey label or line.
    I guess the question becomes "would anyone care about doing another one?".

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Depends. If your question means exploring those worlds again.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Depends. If your question means exploring those worlds again.
    Yeah because outside of fans, there isn't much of a reason to return to that line to me.

Currently the imprints fill the same goal. I could see them doing another Superman origin but I don't think people would wanna follow up JMS's take.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-30-2023 at 04:34 PM.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The only reason I can think of that anyone would have any reason to take it up would be if the original creators wanted to do another one. JMS has shown no interest in doing another Superman book.
    Assassinate Putin!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Personally, EARTH-1 should have just been the Silver Age world of the DCU, goofy-ness and all. I understand the point of the imprint (?), but it would have been easier to "format" a new Earth.
    I tend to think the actual “point” was confused and inconsistent - at times, it seemed like it was trying to be the “library book” series for the characters to try and get younger readers to enjoy the characters, at other times a prestige type of graphic novel for esteemed creators to take shots at making their own versions of the characters, and at other times some hard repackaging of the entire concept.

I think most of them were in this weird place of using too many pages to tell too little story, and not being followed up on enough for any of their particular goals, save maybe Morrison!s with their version of Wonder Woman.

I also think JMSand Johns proved that at best they could only be somewhat competent with Superman and Batman, which will always strike me as a bit weird considering their success elsewhere.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member

Is it? JMS not doing so well on Superman is definitely suprising given his well known love of the character.

But it's pretty obvious Johns never cared for Batman. It's one of the corners of DC that he neve really touched. Batman Earth One just shows all of Johns love for Batman, which is bordering on none.

I actually kind of liked Azz's take on WW and point to it as exhibit A as to why New 52 should have been an Ultimates line. I think a lot of people misunderstood what Morrison was doing. Morrison thought he was doing what Marsten would want. Whether or not that's true is up for debate.
    No, I understood what they were going for.

It just wasn't good.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-30-2023 at 08:28 PM.

BANNED

I'm bummed out about no GL vol 3 and that the Flash never came to fruition.

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    I tend to think the actual “point” was confused and inconsistent - at times, it seemed like it was trying to be the “library book” series for the characters to try and get younger readers to enjoy the characters, at other times a prestige type of graphic novel for esteemed creators to take shots at making their own versions of the characters, and at other times some hard repackaging of the entire concept.

I think most of them were in this weird place of using too many pages to tell too little story, and not being followed up on enough for any of their particular goals, save maybe Morrison!s with their version of Wonder Woman.

I also think JMSand Johns proved that at best they could only be somewhat competent with Superman and Batman, which will always strike me as a bit weird considering their success elsewhere.
    Superman and Batman are constantly reinterpreted so the competition is pretty steep. For example, Morrison's Action Comics and Snyder's New 52 run came out around the same time. So their takes are decent but middling. It's also they were the first few entries and the other series went bolder with their changes.

Plus John's made his name with the lesser known characters. So maybe he would've found more success doing Hourman Earth One than Batman? It's similar to Charles Soule who did a decent run on Daredevil. His work isn't bad it just had to follow Mark Waid's stellar run.

It could also be the format. Maybe JMS and Johns would've had better luck in monthlies?

Earth One coming out so infrequently didn't help either.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-31-2023 at 09:47 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    But it's pretty obvious Johns never cared for Batman. It's one of the corners of DC that he neve really touched. Batman Earth One just shows all of Johns love for Batman, which is bordering on none.
    I thought in and of themselves they were decent stories. As Batman stories they were pretty subpar, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

It just wasn't good.
    I enjoyed them thoroughly, myself. That said, other than Rucka's first run on WW, I really haven't enjoyed the post-Crisis version of the character very much at all.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

It just wasn't good.
    Like I said, it's up for debate how good or accurate a job he did.
    Assassinate Putin!

Don't know why they did the double post.
    Assassinate Putin!