Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sabretooth & The Exiles #3 (Spoilers)

Reminded me of Spider-Woman vol 1 #50 and Avengers #240-241

VIDEO REVIEW (spoilers)
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Thanks for starting the thread! I'll be reading it tomorrow and I'm looking forward to it.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Idk. This mini isn't grabbing me like the first one did. I'll reread it tomorrow since I might like it after thinking on it more. Idk. I'd blame the villains as the biggest issue, since they're not as compelling or interesting as the personal drama from the last series.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Idk. This mini isn't grabbing me like the first one did. I'll reread it tomorrow since I might like it after thinking on it more. Idk. I'd blame the villains as the biggest issue, since they're not as compelling or interesting as the personal drama from the last series.
    Idk the connection to medical malpractice against POCs is hitting me in the feels every issue. I will say that this does feel like a middle chapter and more standard super hero fair.

Astonishing Member

I do think it might be because Dr. Barrington and Creation don't really feel like longterm characters - they're not generic, per se, I mean Barrington's way of thinking still hits w/shock & impact every time she says (or writes in a datapage) something that makes you just go, jesus, lady.....BUT they do still both feel a bit....stock in the sense 'we've seen these mad scientist/Frankenstein's monster type characters many times before' and so far the only distinct things about them are just their particular version of vile. I think there's potential still for LaValle to make Barrington break out as a longterm or recurring villain, but she's not there yet for me, at least.

I'm much more invested in the plot with Orphan-Maker's armor and whatever the hell is going on with another Victor Creed on the last page. I have no idea where LaValle might be going with that, so I'm eager to find out. And while Oya, Nekra & Third Eye are my faves of his original cast, Melter is growing on me with each issue. I loved his approach to keeping Peter calm, and Madison's wide-eyes afterwards like you could just see him thinking "I can't believe that worked, how did that actually work." LOL. Peter being convinced Melter is the Human Torch and him just rolling with it is a bit that won't get old for me any time soon.

But I really loved the whole astral plane direction with this issue and am intrigued to learn more about the prison built there and how they even did that, and also how Toad and Sabretooth figured out new ways to manifest their powers on the astral plane just by changing their thinking. Honestly, I would love to see LaValle take over Legion of X - I know that's kinda Spurrier's baby but I feel like LaValle's perfectly suited to do some really creative things with the Altar, & I'd like to see his take on developing some new aspects of mutant culture/nation-building but still retaining a critical eye on any negative aspects or symptoms of those culture/nation-building elements.

Also I'm hoping we continue to see more of Shepherd and Bab, I like the POV they add to things and they have a nice dynamic.

Enjoying this book as a spiritual successor to Wells’ Hellions.
    Not sure what the mission might be, other than, ’on the run.’
    But this issue’s allusion to Sabretooth’s heist which led him to the pit, and finding a withered Victor Creed imprisoned in the astral plane, are intriguing.

Also - who, or what, is that giant entity Orchis is mining in the astral plane? Looks vaguely familiar.

Oh, and… Barrington’s “Shelley w/her Frankenstein monster” seems inevitable.

This book seems focused on a social justice message. Barrington IS a unique villain when you consider the tropes her character contradicts and the criticisms she represents.
    Last edited by HomoSuperior; 01-26-2023 at 04:52 AM.

It seems like we keep getting teased about what lies beneath Nanny and Orphan Maker's armors.......
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by danielsan52 View Post
    It seems like we keep getting teased about what lies beneath Nanny and Orphan Maker's armors.......
    Yes. Hopefully we will learn something and it will be worth all the hype.
    I never really cared for the characters. Hellions and now this book have somehow made them somewhat interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Idk the connection to medical malpractice against POCs is hitting me in the feels every issue. I will say that this does feel like a middle chapter and more standard super hero fair.
    That part is clever and fits the theme, I don't have an issue with that. It's just the people behind it who feel boring. I agree with BobbysWorld, they don't feel like anything special beyond that. It doesn't help that so much of it is said in data pages.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I'm somewhere in the middle. The mini isn't grabbing me to the extent the first one did but it's still very very good. The first one just set such a high bar. The story is overall interesting, the use of the supporting cast is great and the book feels well-balanced while Sabretooth still feels like a star (would love to see LaValle balance an ongoing team), and the data pages are super interesting and the themes there are strong. The connection between the historical theme and the story shown though is a little less strong than it was in the first mini.

I'm actually liking this minisseries better than the previous one. I like the interaction between the Exiles now that they are all together on a mission. The bigger presence of action also helps. The art could be much better and the villian is chiché, but they don't kill my enjoyment.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm absolutely enjoying this series more than the first...and I really liked that one. Pacing, characterisation, story, art...on point. I really hope we see more of these characters after this LS is done. I need an Exiles on-going by LaValle.

This issue was my best pick of the week.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Nekra being so worried about Oya I liked that alot

Another great issue and I agree, LaValle would be great on an ongoing. I can't get enough of Nanny and Orphan Maker, Oya (and everyone, really) continues to shine and I'm happy that all of those mutants are free.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

This was the release of the week for me. Really liked pretty much all the scenes as they flowed so well. The arrival on the astral plane and us seeing it through third eye eye was pretty cool. I loved the little transitions too like going from astral form to "physical" once they were "grounded" The diversity hire joke made me laugh. i also laughed when Oya wanted to talk to the man in the glass and Sabretooth and Toad were like we good. lol. The twist at the end was pretty good finding out theres a sabretooth already on the astral plane. I also like how all the mutants worked together to free each other thanks to America's powers coming back up and the new mutant has some potential. The group shot of them showed a really great variety in appearances. The doctor is ready to go to town on some mutant babies which i am guessing are the ones that were being kidnapped in i think Hellions. Really looking forward to the next issue, superb art and writing.

some of my fave scenes. There were just too many.

orichismaybeathreat.jpg
    theemotion.jpg
    hetellsgoodstory.jpg
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/