Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you guys want an “A-Lister”, the biggest name on the list who could be a good fit for Diana would be Kieron Gillen. He knows myth and he has a good reputation for handling gender/sexuality issues with nuance. Not a huge fan of him myself, but if I was tasked with getting a “big” name for WW, he’s the one I would try and get.

He’s involved in the X-Men stuff so no clue if he could do it, but he’s not exclusive and he’s only writing one book at Marvel currently. He might have the time.
    That is an interesting idea. Would not be opposed to it at all.

As per Tom King, I think in terms of sales it makes sense. No idea what he would write with her, but he understands her charm if nothing else

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

King has a major announcement coming. Could very well be he’s taking over WW.

He said before that DC wanted him back on a “big” book and he accepted. He wrote WW before AND he’s worked with the WW editor Brittany Holzher on Supergirl: WoT. I think he’s our new WW writer. Guess we find out soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrac View Post
    As one of the longest Wonder Woman veterans of this forum (Ive read it ALL, even the fucking painful Kanigher run, but I imagine there are people like me here?) I really don't care a lot abut the "Artemis could do this role", "This is stupid, it doesnt coincide with this number from 15 years ago", or "They are writing this character who has only appeared 3 times in the last 5 years in a diferent way! Bad!" because, well, Ive read it all, and Ill read it all once most of these guys go away or keep reading stuff they don't clearly like. Ive come to a moment where Wonder Woman has kept me reading books during one of the worst eras to read regular series. Will the regular series be again as good as Legend of WW, Earth One, or some of the Black and Gold stories? Don't think so. Do I think its possible we will ever get a Wonder Woman comic even SLIGHTLY as fucking good as Historia? Don't think so, if its not more Historia numbers. Do I care? No.

Because at this point reading Wonder Woman stories, except for some fucking awful runs, brings me a regular feeling that I don't get reading other comics or regular series. It brings me peace, and with age Ive gotten more patient with changes to the lore that I know won't stick. Yeah, its frustrating to see so many "Zeus is Wonder Womans daddy" but at the end of the day I have the certainty that DC will come crawling back to the original story. And if not, even with worse changes, I know they won't alter why I liked those og stories and why I keep liking them. I mean, hell, if anything DC incentivates me to ignore everything that I don't like and consider canon only the parts I love, which seeing wonderfandom I guess are most than almost everyone at times.

I dunno why I say this to all of you, sorry. I just wanted to state that I liked Cloonrad's aproach to Wonder Woman, their ideas, and their feeling of fresh air introduced to the franchise, mostly after some years where a Steve Orlando solitary number was all the food I could get. I wanted Cloonrad to stick more because I think the real problem Wonder Woman has it's that no single writer has managed to write 40 consecutive numbers of WW since George Pérez, and I consider that sad. I want a writer, can I say a good writer? to stick for more time, for the minimum time, to get to tell the story they want, and I thought Cloonrad, even if they lack some things (not having a more cohesive idea or story to tell...) I thought were worth at least one more year writing the character.

I dunno what the future may hold, but Ive come to peace with it again, as, no matter who DC puts on the series, Ill read it. And the rest would be me bitching about it, and maybe even scaring the poor writer who has come to the forum to stalk us a little.

So, from now, until the new age starts, and until the first page is published, I will take aside my previous fears and the only word Ill say will be "Welcome"
    I feel you there. Been reading WW since the mid-70's and have my personal collection going into the 50's, but read just about the entire run. I have enjoyed Cloonan and Conrad's run quite a bit and think they could do well enough for another year. I wouldn't mind seeing some longer form stories and some greater depth to their work, but more than that I want a competent artist who is around for more than a few issues in a row. Their work hasn't been overly drawn out, overly dramatic, death everything and nothing is ever the same (with the exception of Trial of the Amazons) but it's been solid fun and that's something this book has needed for a long time.

If you guys want an “A-Lister”, the biggest name on the list who could be a good fit for Diana would be Kieron Gillen. He knows myth and he has a good reputation for handling gender/sexuality issues with nuance. Not a huge fan of him myself, but if I was tasked with getting a “big” name for WW, he’s the one I would try and get.

He’s involved in the X-Men stuff so no clue if he could do it, but he’s not exclusive and he’s only writing one book at Marvel currently. He might have the time.
    IF Cloonrad are leaving, I would not have a problem with this choice at all. Gillen's work is solid, fun and deep. I would be interested in seeing what he could do with the books.

As for King...can we get Chuck Austen instead? Just kidding. However, King's need to work out his own demons and PTSD issues as well as his insistence on deconstructing the heroes and breaking them down to their worst...We've been there and done that with Wonder Woman. I want a writer who can write her as a bright and shining light of hope but still know when to punch a dude (or dudette) and not have to hack his arm off. I dont think King has the subtlety to write a Wonder Woman that's not depressive and gloomy.

Extraordinary Member

He said before that DC wanted him back on a “big” book and he accepted. He wrote WW before AND he’s worked with the WW editor Brittany Holzher on Supergirl: WoT. I think he’s our new WW writer. Guess we find out soon!
    I don't think it'll be him, he's seemed to moved off of ongoings. Feel like he's mentioned in interviews about how mini/maxiseries suit his process better.

I expect King’s WW would look more like his Supergirl mini than his Batman run, especially if his Supergirl editor is editing his hypothetical WW book. You guys would get cool feats if nothing else, Kara beat up space dragons and intergalactic pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I don't think it'll be him, he's seemed to moved off of ongoings. Feel like he's mentioned in interviews about how mini/maxiseries suit his process better.
    He’s actually specifically said he’s moving back to ongoings. Penguin is an ongoing, Batman: The Brave And The Bold is an ongoing, he wants to play back in the center of the DCU again.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Maybe he's talking about Supergirl's ongoing that her fans claim.

King is a "name" but I just don't think he'd "get" Diana, especially considering how he'd written her in the past.

Extraordinary Member

He’s actually specifically said he’s moving back to ongoings. Penguin is an ongoing, Batman: The Brave And The Bold is an ongoing, he wants to play back in the center of the DCU again.
    Did we get confirmation about Penguin being an ongoing? Would be legitimately surprised if that's the case as DC has been giving all these lower tier minis to start with. A world where Poison Ivy and Green Arrow start off as minis but the Penguin is an ongoing makes no sense to me.

And while Batman: The Brave and the Bold is an ongoing it's an anthology book and King said his story would run 4 issues in it during his Word Balloon appearance back in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Maybe he's talking about Supergirl's ongoing that her fans claim.
    I’ve seen them asking for a Supergirl ongoing, but no rumors or evidence it’s coming just yet. WW was the book teased in the next group of DoD launches, stronger case for him being connected to that than a surprise Supergirl ongoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    King is a "name" but I just don't think he'd "get" Diana, especially considering how he'd written her in the past.
    I liked his one off story with her and Clark, but I expect you wouldn’t enjoy his WW since you’re not a fan of his SG.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Huh, I guess I'm intrigued. I liked Mr. Miracle and Supergirl: WoT but I don't know what his deal is with Diana (other than that one forgettable Mod Era short story he did...), haven't read HiC because I know its reputation and I'm not a masochist.

Would've liked to see someone a little more...idk, queer? And Si Spurrier also teased an announcement this week, which I'd be a lot more excited about tbh. But TK would definitely try something big and different, he'd get sales way up, and he'd for sure get a consistent A-list artist so that's all positive.

It'd also probably give us a hint of what WW's gonna look like in Gunn's new DCU because King's been one of its chief architects.
    Last edited by bardkeep; 03-09-2023 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    Did we get confirmation about Penguin being an ongoing? Would be legitimately surprised if that's the case as DC has been giving all these lower tier minis to start with. A world where Poison Ivy and Green Arrow start off as minis but the Penguin is an ongoing makes no sense to me.

And while Batman: The Brave and the Bold is an ongoing it's an anthology book and King said his story would run 4 issues in it during his Word Balloon appearance back in February.
    Can’t find any confirmation but I thought that was the case. Still even if it’s not, that last WB interview he did was the same one he revealed he’s doing an ongoing and moving back towards the A-Listers if memory serves me right. Specifically remember him saying he couldn’t write a whole series anymore in one sitting like he had been doing because he didn’t have the time and he wanted to shake things up for himself by doing a big book again.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Can't say I'm thrilled if it's King. I defended his Batman run while I was reading it early on, but then had to drop it as it got dumber and dragged out. HiC was a cluster f. And Diana's appearance in his Batman run left a lot to be desired.

I guess they'd want a big name, but honestly despite his own spotty record and reservations, we would be better off with Waid

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Can't say I'm thrilled if it's King. I defended his Batman run while I was reading it early on, but then had to drop it as it got dumber and dragged out. HiC was a cluster f. And Diana's appearance in his Batman run left a lot to be desired.

I guess they'd want a big name, but honestly despite his own spotty record and reservations, we would be better off with Waid
    Spurrier also has an announcement to make so perhaps it’s him instead. Waid was on an interview recently and said he still has not figured out WW so I don’t think he’d be a good choice. At best his WW would probably be like his Hulk - not terrible but nothing special either.

King is a name that might bring attention to the title, but although I wouldn't call him the worst choice, I can't say I'd be excited to see him take over either.

His previous efforts at writing Diana might show a flicker of a decent idea that's usually undermined by something incredibly stupid.

Would he actually try to write WW this time? Is my question. Or would that stilted weirdo he wrote in that Batman issue be the character he writes.
    Last edited by Gaius; 03-09-2023 at 03:17 PM.

Another possible upside of TK on WW: Could lead to a renewed interest in the character in general, which would pick up sales of the Historia HC, which would lead to the rest of the books being greenlit.

Honestly I’m way more concerned with the state of Historia than I am with the state of the ongoing…