Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

I have no idea what is going to happen with Wonder Woman under the "Dawn of DC" initiative. But here's what I hope happens:

I hope the main Wonder Woman title gets a strong, popular creative team that is very interested in Wonder Woman and her world, and are as enthusiastic about working on her book as Batman and Superman creators are about working with those respective characters.

I hope that creative team consists of Kelly Sue DeConnick and Yasmine Putri, or a team just as brilliant.

I hope that we get a Wonder Woman Family collection of books: a Wonder Girls book starring Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, and Yara Flor; an Amazons book starring Nubia, Artemis, Faruka, Grace, and all of the rest of the Amazons of Themyscira, Bana-Mighdall, and the Esquecida.

I hope someone takes a serious look at Wonder Woman's Rogues Gallery to update them for a modern audience and make them actual threats instead of puns.

I hope Wonder Woman books get a strong editorial team with a singular vision, and who have enough influence to prevent Wonder Woman from being the community chump that other creators use when they want to pump up their own characters' prowess, powers, abilities, and intelligence.

I hope DC promotes the Wonder Woman books with as much verve and tenacity as they promote Batman, and to a much lesser degree, Superman.

I doubt any of this is going to happen, but one can dream.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 01-29-2023 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    I have no idea what is going to happen with Wonder Woman under the "Dawn of DC" initiative. But here's what I hope happens:

I hope the main Wonder Woman title gets a strong, popular creative team that is very interested in Wonder Woman and her world, and are as enthusiastic about working on her book as Batman and Superman creators are about working with those respective characters.

I hope that creative team consists of Kelly Sue DeConnick and Yasmine Putri, or a team just as brilliant.

I hope that we get a Wonder Woman Family collection of books: a Wonder Girls book starring Donna Troy, Cassie Sandsmark, and Yara Flor; an Amazons book starring Nubia, Artemis, Faruka, Grace, and all of the rest of the Amazons of Themyscira, Bana-Mighdall, and the Esquecida.

I hope someone takes a serious look at Wonder Woman's Rogues Gallery to update them for a modern audience and make them actual threats instead of puns.

I hope Wonder Woman books get a strong editorial team with a singular vision, and who have enough influence to prevent Wonder Woman from being the community chump that other creators use when they want to pump up their own characters' prowess, powers, abilities, and intelligence.

I hope DC promotes the Wonder Woman books with as much verve and tenacity as they promote Batman, and to a much lesser degree, Superman.

Spot. On. Bullseye. Amen.

Kelly Sue Deconnick is a very strong writer and there's much to love about Historia, but she isn't enthusiastic about Diana as a character. She is enthusiastic about Hippolyta, the amazons, and the gods. Don't confuse those things. She wouldn't be a good choice for the main title.

It's like picking someone that loves Loki and Odin, to write a Thor Book

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Kelly Sue Deconnick is a very strong writer and there's much to love about Historia, but she isn't enthusiastic about Diana as a character. She is enthusiastic about Hippolyta, the amazons, and the gods. Don't confuse those things. She wouldn't be a good choice for the main title.

For real? That would be a huge disservice to the Wonder Woman book if a writer is mostly passionate about the public domain characters instead of Diana and other original DC creations from her world. That's the reason I passed on Historia after reading issue #1. It had phenomenal art but it's mostly just about Greek myth characters and very little actual Wonder Woman.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Dead on. I suspect Kelly Sue is too busy to take on a monthly at this point (though it'd be a dream come true) but someone like Si Spurrier would be pretty amazing too.

Idk, doesn't bother me. Again, doubt it'd happen, but if a second ongoing is off the table I'd be thrilled with a great run on the main book with an ensemble cast of Amazons that featured Diana as a key player rather than the exclusive focal point. And Kelly Sue absolutely nailed Diana when she appeared in her Aquaman run.

When Titans was announced I commented on the artwork Taylor posted, hoping that Donna’s sword and shield were gone for good and he confirmed it. So, for me at least that’s one step in the right direction for depicting Donna. I read an interview with Taylor and Scott that gives me hope about how Titans will move forward and that gives me hope for Donna.

With the Batfamily as it is and the Superfamily (including Power Girl) coming together in a title, I’d almost expect DC to do the same with the Wonderfamily. The artwork for the new Green Arrow title has all the protégés and sidekicks in it, so that makes me think something similar will happen with the Wonders and the Hawks - which I tend to like.

If we’re getting a second title, I’d love to see all of the Wonder characters interact with Diana and really start delving into her roster of villains and create some exciting adventures.

Fantastic Member

This is a mischaracterization. Kelly Sue DeConnick loves Wonder Woman/Diana--who is the character that got her into reading comic books in the first place. She just doesn't think that the way Wonder Woman's been written over the years services the character or her ideals. If we get the rest of Historia, we will get to see much more of just how much DeConnick loves Diana.

But that's neither here nor there. DeConnick isn't going to write the Wonder Woman monthly title because she's simply too busy with other projects and commitments. I'm not confused about anything. But thank you for your concern.

Last edited by HotBoy; 01-30-2023 at 09:25 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Dead on. I suspect Kelly Sue is too busy to take on a monthly at this point (though it'd be a dream come true) but someone like Si Spurrier would be pretty amazing too.
    WAY too busy. I mean, she just wrote a full-on Las Vegas show, for goodness' sake. LOL! But I'm just dreaming out loud.

I've never heard of Si Spurrier. I have to look up their work.

WAY too busy. I mean, she just wrote a full-on Las Vegas show, for goodness' sake. LOL! But I'm just dreaming out loud.

Most of his work hasn't been cape stuff (he's done excellent work on a handful of Vertigo titles including The Dreaming with Bilquis Evely and he's got some great creator-owned projects), but he did a really fun, thoughtful JLA arc a few years ago where he wrote an absolutely amazing Diana. He nails all of the qualities her best writers capture like her diplomacy and compassion, but above all he sees her as a storyteller and really puts that on display. He and Kelly Sue are among the few writers who understand that the Amazons should keep and create myths as much as they embody them.

He wrote a mini-arc of JL that's probably one of the few JL stories, as far I as I can tell, where Wonder Woman was actually written good in it.

So naturally most traditional JL readers I saw didn't like it, lol.

Fantastic Member

Most of his work hasn't been cape stuff (he's done excellent work on a handful of Vertigo titles including The Dreaming with Bilquis Evely and he's got some great creator-owned projects), but he did a really fun, thoughtful JLA arc a few years ago where he wrote an absolutely amazing Diana. He nails all of the qualities her best writers capture like her diplomacy and compassion, but above all he sees her as a storyteller and really puts that on display. He and Kelly Sue are among the few writers who understand that the Amazons should keep and create myths as much as they embody them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    He wrote a mini-arc of JL that's probably one of the few JL stories, as far I as I can tell, where Wonder Woman was actually written good in it.

I'm looking up the trade now. Thanks so much.

Dr. Marston said long ago that Wonder Woman would have an effect on certain male comic readers--that her empowerment would always be seen as personally threatening and, therefore, it would be necessary for reassert the power of patriarchy/masculinity wherever she appeared. That is what I think is at the base of the insistence that Wonder Woman cannot be as strong or stronger than Superman or as smart or smarter than Batman. Such an arrangement is antithetical to the power fantasies at the heart of superheroes because in a patriarchal society, we don't raise straight men and boys to live vicariously through powerful female heroes. We, in fact, teach the opposite.
    Last edited by HotBoy; 01-30-2023 at 11:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

That was the story with the alien faction that went down two different paths and the other JL members were trying to basically lead them and create a new government with out actually knowing anything about them or attempting to, right?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I'm really hoping that we get an additional Wonder Woman Title, such as bringing back Sensation Comics. It could be a Wonder-family-centric title or, possibly a Female-centric team-up book showcasing Wonder Woman teaming up with other female DC heroes.

I'm looking up the trade now. Thanks so much.

Dr. Marston said long ago that Wonder Woman would have an effect on certain male comic readers--that her empowerment would always be seen as personally threatening and, therefore, it would be necessary for reassert the power of patriarchy/masculinity wherever she appeared. That is what I think is at the base of the insistence that Wonder Woman cannot be as strong or stronger than Superman or as smart or smarter than Batman. Such an arrangement is antithetical to the power fantasies at the heart of superheroes because in a patriarchal society, we don't raise straight men and boys to live vicariously through powerful female heroes. We, in fact, teach the opposite.
    I think another tricky thing is that the root fantasies behind them present a stalemate. Superman and Batman were built on fantasies of dominance, Wonder Woman was built on a fantasy of not being dominated. Of course, the former is the prevailing fantasy in pop culture and the types of folks who tend to write comics understand it better, so that's the one that gets priority...

But in this specific story, the point of contention was that (without spoiling too much) Diana got to be the voice of reason for once. I think a lot of Superman fans in particular are so used to him being morally infallible that they interpret him being in the wrong as OOC, but the central ideological conflict is pretty similar to the one he and Diana had in New Frontier - setting an example vs. affording agency.

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    I'm really hoping that we get an additional Wonder Woman Title, such as bringing back Sensation Comics. It could be a Wonder-family-centric title or, possibly a Female-centric team-up book showcasing Wonder Woman teaming up with other female DC heroes.
    A BATB-style book for her would be awesome and a great way to get sidelined female characters back in the fold.

I think another tricky thing is that the root fantasies behind them present a stalemate. Superman and Batman were built on fantasies of dominance, Wonder Woman was built on a fantasy of not being dominated. Of course, the former is the prevailing fantasy in pop culture and the types of folks who tend to write comics understand it better, so that's the one that gets priority...

But in this specific story, the point of contention was that (without spoiling too much) Diana got to be the voice of reason for once. I think a lot of Superman fans in particular are so used to him being morally infallible that they interpret him being in the wrong as OOC, but the central ideological conflict is pretty similar to the one he and Diana had in New Frontier - setting an example vs. affording agency.

A BATB-style book for her would be awesome and a great way to get sidelined female characters back in the fold.
    The opposite: he’s been in the wrong so many times lately that we’ve grown tired of it. In the DCAU he was an idiot and an ******* who was the most at risk for ending up like the Justice Lords. In the DCEU his fall to evil was the entire crux of the overarching plot. In Injustice he’s the bad guy. At one point in the 2010s there were four evil Supermen comics running at the same time. We simply got sick of it and aren’t interested in reading another story where he’s used to prop up another hero anymore than you guys are.

Also I thought the plot for that JL story was boring and unimaginative. It’s Spurrier’s work with The Dreaming that makes me want to see what he would do with WW.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/