Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    I reckon Ben can sell better than say say, Monica Rambeau. The problem is the amount of unnecesary workshopping Editorial seems to be doing with him.
    What we need is a good editorial shift especially with how mismanaged the Spider books have been lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    What we need is a good editorial shift especially with how mismanaged the Spider books have been lately.
    I wonder how Marvel feels about Lowe at this point.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's very little sales evidence to suggest Lowe's doing a "bad" job. I don't like the direction of the book right now, and I find any number of decisions at the editorial level to be out of keeping with what I want to see, but the books are still selling. Maybe Dark Web will be bad enough that people start dropping the book (which will take awhile to filter its way into sales info - people have to decide to drop the book, remove it from their pull list, then shops will start adjusting orders down). Maybe CBR's forum is non-representative of the general populace and plenty of people are having a perfectly good time reading it. We'll see. But right now, I don't think Nick Lowe is where I'd be looking at Marvel if I thought sales were down and something needed a shakeup
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    There's very little sales evidence to suggest Lowe's doing a "bad" job. I don't like the direction of the book right now, and I find any number of decisions at the editorial level to be out of keeping with what I want to see, but the books are still selling. Maybe Dark Web will be bad enough that people start dropping the book (which will take awhile to filter its way into sales info - people have to decide to drop the book, remove it from their pull list, then shops will start adjusting orders down). Maybe CBR's forum is non-representative of the general populace and plenty of people are having a perfectly good time reading it. We'll see. But right now, I don't think Nick Lowe is where I'd be looking at Marvel if I thought sales were down and something needed a shakeup
    Well from Beyond it was seen as surprising decent sales point with trades doing better than expected currently ASM is doing at an okay ratio issue to issue, but over trades haven't been doing anywhere well or even close to being called salvageable. Dark Web rumored to have been doing poorly as well. If anything I'd say he has a maybe 2023 to get things back on track and if not maybe go with someone in-house, but it's all un-substantial and hypotheticals at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    Well from Beyond it was seen as surprising decent sales point with trades doing better than expected currently ASM is doing at an okay ratio issue to issue, but over trades haven't been doing anywhere well or even close to being called salvageable. Dark Web rumored to have been doing poorly as well. If anything I'd say he has a maybe 2023 to get things back on track and if not maybe go with someone in-house, but it's all un-substantial and hypotheticals at this point
    I don't think Wells has it in him for another year or more, in my opinion.

I don't think Wells has it in him for another year or more, in my opinion.
    I don't think so either. So if Wells is out by mid year. You have at least whatever the ending of what Peter did then 6 months or so ish or into next year and let another writer or writers to see if there's a way to right the ship

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercwmouth12 View Post
    I don't think so either. So if Wells is out by mid year. You have at least whatever the ending of what Peter did then 6 months or so ish or into next year and let another writer or writers to see if there's a way to right the ship
    ASM is still a comic book so it can be fixed. The only question is do Editorial and the next writer want it to be fixed? That is the real key to everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    ASM is still a comic book so it can be fixed. The only question is do Editorial and the next writer want it to be fixed? That is the real key to everything.
    I think if it's the right kind of writer like Pat who from his superman and batman and robin series writes real well and emotional issues can fix it. We don't need a mystery of a failed epic run. Just a regular safe run. That doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Just give us a run with Peter and his cast and nice and fun stories

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly the question. Maybe they think they are on the right track. I think until we have a new editorial we won't see any significant changes. And even then, the problem may be upstairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Of_X View Post
    Final guess for the finale! (I'm both on vacation and deathly afraid of spoilers for the omega)

If we're remixing Goblin vs Reilly at the finale of the clone saga, it makes sense to roll out the ol' glider to the back. What we know for certain is:

1) Hallow's Eve\Gold Goblin\Peter make it out fine
    2) Peter keeps wearing the Oscorp suit (per FCBD preview)

I think Norman killing Ben has a low chance of happening. Peter wouldn't watch as his reformed nemesis kills his wayward brother, AND then keep being chummy enough with Norman to wear his duds.
    I get the feeling we shouldn't overtrust Wells that much, specially as you pointed out that Spidey is way too forgiving now lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    With a lot of characters, a resurrection and course correction is possible, but Ben is basically a c-list character they don't know what to do with. The odds of a course correction are a lot better if he's alive. If he dies now, he dies as Chasm and his odds of coming back are somewhere between Thunderstrike and the Swordsman.

I also just don't think killing him aligns with their purpose. They want a cool-looking villain to market. I doubt they're going to kill him. I'm not saying this because I have any faith in them, just that it doesn't really serve them in any way. They want to make Chasm a thing and if and when they change their mind, they'll probably just course-correct while he's still alive.
    I mean, I would expect that him dying would be basically like when Kaine used to die, y'know, temporary, he'd be back by the next issue lol.

Yeah, I can't say Chasm has been all that successful as far as new villains go.
    Perhaps it's because I only really visit this place on 4chan, but I have yet to find anyone who thinks Chasm doesn't suck lol.

Early in ASM vol 6, the letters' age had Lowe sounding like "Hey, I know this looks bad, but give it a chance!", while not an indicative of what Marvel thinks of him, it does sound like he's nervous about getting the fans' approval lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Yeah, that's exactly the question. Maybe they think they are on the right track. I think until we have a new editorial we won't see any significant changes. And even then, the problem may be upstairs.
    Even if the problem is upstairs, it's still someone who can only influence the comics, since Spidey gets more respected in other media.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Rek-Rap is fun. I think he is the best thing to come out of this event.

And after this if Robbie doesn't know....he is not that bright.
    Rek-Rap = Poochie from The Simpsons
    Last edited by ARkadelphia; 01-27-2023 at 09:30 PM.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Clearly Ben will be fridged to give Hallow’s Eve appropriate man-pain for her mini.

Wait. That can’t be right.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Clearly Ben will be fridged to give Hallow’s Eve appropriate man-pain for her mini.

Will anyone care at that point though...

I haven't really read much post-OMD Spidey other than Slott's last arc (I think it was called Go Down Swinging) and Zdarsky's PP:SSM. But from outside, having not read any of Wells' run, this current run seems like one of the all-time low points for Spidey. Between MJ, and the character assassination of Ben and his GF, this whole thing seems to suck. It's kind of sad to see.
    Wanna make somethin' of it?

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post

Yeah, it's usually the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic1967 View Post
    I haven't really read much post-OMD Spidey other than Slott's last arc (I think it was called Go Down Swinging) and Zdarsky's PP:SSM. But from outside, having not read any of Wells' run, this current run seems like one of the all-time low points for Spidey. Between MJ, and the character assassination of Ben and his GF, this whole thing seems to suck. It's kind of sad to see.
    Uh-huh.
    The spider is always on the hunt.