Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Superwoman (Lana Lang)

LANA 1.jpgAny chance we could see Lana as Superwoman again was really getting into her before DC got rid of her.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I really liked the series and the world that Phil Jimenez was building around Lana. I dont know that I would want Lana being Superwoman though...I did like how Phil gave Lana the powers, being close to Superman should sometimes have repercussions that aren't always bad, but I like Lana being more massive business woman powerhouse like she was when she took over LexCorp. However, I did like her relationship with John Henry Irons and wouldn't mind her being a force in the Steelworks series, head of PR or something.

Unfortunately, Superman Reborn ruined Lana's Superwoman book by negating her origin only eight months after it launched. The book only lasted another half a year before it ended with her depowered - it's probably no longer in continuity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

That was actually one of the last books I bought regularly and actually enjoyed somewhat after the end of the New52 (The one book I was into more was Justice League of America- which had an oft-delayed volume that actually featured the New52 Superman after he was gone in general, because it was in the middle of a 12 issue story and the delays pushed it past the changeover. That was obviously my favorite book that came out after the New52 Superman's death in the other ones.). I agree with the previous poster that it kind of lost it's thread once it's continuity had to be rewritten due to the events of Superman Reborn.

Prior to that change, it seemed like it was the last book that had anything of the spirit of the New52 Superman in it (As it turns out, Lana literally did have said spirit), and Lana kept seeing the New52 Superman in flashbacks or visions or whatever. It's been a while so I don't recall all the specifics (Although I do own the digital comics, so I guess I could reread them).

Whether I would be interested in a new Superwoman book with Lana Lang as Superwoman would depend on whether they'd give her the memory of the New52 Superman, a New52-esque costume and writing style, and so on and so forth. My guess would be that they wouldn't. So, my interest would be minimal.

Like, I don't have an intrinsic interest in Lana Lang as Superwoman, but obviously they could write it so that they did, like the beginning of her last run. I just don't see them doing that.

Apart from the New52 stuff, I will say one neat aspect of the Lana Lang Superwoman that seemed relatively unique to her was her struggles with an anxiety disorder and having to figure out how to be a superhero thrusting herself into danger, the public limelight, and other things that would trigger anxiety in almost anyone, let alone someone who suffered from panic attacks and such in general like she did. That was kind of interesting, because I don't think I'd ever see that explored in comics before. That would be something that I think would be important element to bring back if they ever decided to revisit her character as a superhero again.

IIRC, they also demonstrated at least by implication that when she was filmed, it had a blurring effect on the video, so like if you wanted a TV news clip of her fighting or an interview, or an article in the newspaper with a picture, you wouldn't be able to see her face. They really only showed this a couple of times IIRC (and one was outside her book in a guest appearance), but I believe the book's writer said it was intended that we would assume it was happening all the time but that we the readers would see her as she really was, just as eye witnesses would. I thought that was an interesting approach to how a maskless superhero could potentially preserve a secret identity- it made more sense than "Clark wears glasses and Superman doesn't", especially in the era of facial recognition software on public cameras and the like (Though I guess I've always assumed that the DC Universe, which is an alternate reality to our own, lags behind the real world in terms of it's facial recognition software capabilities, because it's the only way a lot of these secret identities would be workable. Similarly, I've also assumed it's behind on satellite surveillance and such, because otherwise world governments would be able to pick up Superman and others at their points of departure, see where they returned to, and so forth, would ultimately would allow them to pin down identity.).

I keep thinking of Lucy Lane when I see this thread.

Lois's sister? Was she Superwoman at some point too?
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Lois's sister? Was she Superwoman at some point too?
    Well, yes..... New Earth Lucy Lane was.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I keep thinking of Lucy Lane when I see this thread.
    No, I keep thinking of Earth-3 Superwoman!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

No no no...it's about Kristen Wells, the one true Superwoman!

large-5594815.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    No, I keep thinking of Earth-3 Superwoman!
    Who is usually Lois, but is currently Donna Troy (who makes more sense honestly, since that Superwoman is supposed to be Wonder Woman's counterpart).

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Who is usually Lois, but is currently Donna Troy (who makes more sense honestly, since that Superwoman is supposed to be Wonder Woman's counterpart).
    Yeah, and in an animated movie, was the counterpart of Mary Marvel!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member

The only Superwoman who has longevity at DC is the Wonder Woman counterpart of Earth 3 (or Earth II in one continuity). Kristin Wells, Lucy Lane, and Lana Lang were all fairly short-term versions.

Though Lucy and Lana did both get screwed over by continuity changes (Lucy took the mantle in 2009, so New 52 ended her tenure, and as already mentioned Superman Reborn ruined Lana's tenure).

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    The only Superwoman who has longevity at DC is the Wonder Woman counterpart of Earth 3 (or Earth II in one continuity). Kristin Wells, Lucy Lane, and Lana Lang were all fairly short-term versions.
    Also, I will add than Lana has used several identities and powers, including curoiosuly Super-Girl and Super-Lana, but the main one always has been Insect Queen. She always return to that identity sooner or later.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    LANA 1.jpgAny chance we could see Lana as Superwoman again was really getting into her before DC got rid of her.
    They could have given her powers again from this Lazarus Event but they didn’t.
    I will say, if one person has to take up the Superwoman name in Prime Earth I wish it would be Lana again.
    A superwoman who isn’t evil or depend on time travel shenanigans.