Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Weird Question About The Elongated Man

Is it pronounced e-longated or el-ongated? I’ve always wondered. Like I said, weird question.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

It can be pronounced either way, but I'm in the E-longated camp mate.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaine322 View Post
    Is it pronounced e-longated or el-ongated? I’ve always wondered. Like I said, weird question.
    I've only heard it pronounced as e-longated.

Maybe this will help too: if you have a balloon, as you inflate it, it e-longates. I have never once heard someone say it el-ongates.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Thanks to both of you.

I’ve always been of the same mind as the posters above, but my real question is where the heck have he and Sue gone? It’s as if he’s been replaced by Plastic Man just because they have the same powers when they are nothing at all alike. In the other thread asking about major characters who seem to have fallen off Elongated Man is the only one I think of and the only reason I haven’t posted that in that thread is that he’s never been a major character. That said, I can’t even think of a character who has been so sorely dismissed. If that thread had been posted a year ago, I would have definitely said Hal Jordan and Hawkman, but they are back now, everybody is back now… except for Ralph and Sue.

Retired

I pronounce it e-longated. But I also pronounce electricity as e-lectricity (or sometimes uh-lectricity), whereas I hear many broadcasters pronounce it as el-ectricity--so this could be one of those regional things, like with insurance, where the stress is placed differently in different regions.

There is a weight loss company with N-U-T-R-I in the name.

Now both the company and everyone else says "Nu-tri", never "Nut-ri". So there does seem to be a correct way to pronounce words and place where the accent belongs.

Similarly, MAPLE is pronounced "may-pull" not "map-ull".
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Extraordinary Member

Elongated Man appreciation 2023.

Also I’m reminded that Traci 13 is Ralph and Sue’s goddaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    …Traci 13 is Ralph and Sue’s goddaughter.
    ^^^Did not know that!

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I’ve always been of the same mind as the posters above, but my real question is where the heck have he and Sue gone? It’s as if he’s been replaced by Plastic Man just because they have the same powers when they are nothing at all alike. In the other thread asking about major characters who seem to have fallen off Elongated Man is the only one I think of and the only reason I haven’t posted that in that thread is that he’s never been a major character. That said, I can’t even think of a character who has been so sorely dismissed. If that thread had been posted a year ago, I would have definitely said Hal Jordan and Hawkman, but they are back now, everybody is back now… except for Ralph and Sue.
    I mean they are back somewhere, they last were seen in Secret Six during DCyou. I say after identity crisis we just let them be and happy and alive off somewhere.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I mean they are back somewhere, they last were seen in Secret Six during DCyou. I say after identity crisis we just let them be and happy and alive off somewhere.
    Yeah. I’d like Traci to mention they’re somewhere happy right now and doing fine.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Yeah. I’d like Traci to mention they’re somewhere happy right now and doing fine.
    ^^^Thats cool w. me.

Still, if they did come back in a mini or an ongoing, between Sue’s wealth, Ralph’s mystery seeking nose, and their non stop lovey dovey banter…

…I’d pitch it as being something like the Hart To Hart TV show, The Thin Man movies, and The Maze Agency comic.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Did not know that!
    I feel like this isn’t utilized by writers enough.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    It can be pronounced either way, but I'm in the E-longated camp mate.
    Same here, but there was a time in the mid-'70s I pronounced it Ellen-jaded because my friend called him that and I had never heard the word pronounced before.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    There is so much to Ralph and Sue. Both are highly intelligent characters. Ralph has more of a sense of humor (this adds to his Plastic Man similarity) as well as elastic powers. There's also the relationship in addition to the detective angle. It's a concept begging for page time, but balancing the aspects properly (and what is "proper" will differ amongst fans) will take some talent.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?