All-New Member

Default 5G Superman and Legion of Superheroes Theory?

So with the information on 5G from Bleedingcool, we can kind of deduce the original plot from Bendis's Superman run and the Legion run.

According to BC, 5G Clark lost his powers and got it back, but it kept increasing and became a threat to Earth itself, so Batman sacrificed himself to stop Superman and lead to both of them dying.

So we go back to Bendis's Superman run, where he has been laying the pipes.
    In his Superman run, Bendis indicates that Zod can see the future somehow, and in both future, House of El and House of Zod united to create New Krypton, but they were attacked in both visions, by the Legion of Superheroes?
    In his Legion run, Bendis mentioned that Earth is destroyed, and Damian is a tyrant.
    Based on the new information, these are sort of in line with the 5G plot, Damian is the leader of Leviathan, and Superman will destroy the Earth.
    Jon basically went back in time to try and stop this, but he failed.

My theory: This actually was the original plot of Justice League vs Legion of Superheroes. I think the Great Darkness that Dreamgirl foresaw was actually Superman, so they went back in time to stop Superman, in order to stop Earth from blowing up. At this point, House of El and House of Zod is on New Krypton, and the Legions will attack them, so that explains the visions by Zod. And this will lead to an actual Justice League vs Legion battle, where Legion is trying to stop(kill?) Superman and the Justice League trying to stop the Legion, which will cause both the Justice League and the Legion being disbanded. Similar situation to Civil War 2, which is also written by Bendis.

So Legion 2019, 5G 2020, Justice League vs Legion 2021.

But obviously the plans changed, and that story became the current Justice League vs Legion story.

All-New Member

The next part of my theory has no evidence from the 5G storyline on BC, but I'm gonna post it anyways.

I think Clark got his powers back through a process invented by Jor-El.

It is mentioned that Superman is slowly losing his powers, and had to go through a process to restore his powers, in order to go up against Jon and the rest of the DC heroes in 2024. So I think it makes sense for Jor-El to be the one to restore Superman's powers.

In Bendis's plans, Jor-El obviously has a history with the villain Rogol Zarr and the United Planets, but this was never explained in the actual published Superman run and Jor-El is simply sent back to die.
    We do know that Rogol Zarr is a Kryptonian himself and he hates Kryptonians, and is possibly responsible for Krypton being blown up. One of the theories I read on this forum believes Rogol Zarr was Superman's half brother who was abandoned by Jor-El so he came back for revenge. And in the Legion time 1000 years later, we would become the Persuader, because he wears a mask and uses an axe. I think this theory could be true, but my theory is a bit different.

My theory is that Jor-El may have tested the power restoration process before on another Kryptonian, Rogol Zarr, and it went badly, just like for Superman.
    So when Rogol Zarr is on another planet, his powers increased too much and he exploded and destroyed that planet, just like Superman would in 5G to destroy the Earth.
    This could be the reason Rogol Zarr want to blow up Krypton to get revenge on Jor-El and the reason he thinks all Kryptonians are a danger to the universe. Because everyone can blow up planets when they lose control, and Jor-El is responsible for his loss.

All-New Member

The next part of my theory also does not have any evidence, but I'm gonna post it anyways.

I think the reset button is the Legion.

So BC mentioned in their post about 5G, that Superman regained his powers, and his powers increased too much and lost control.
    Just as he is about to blow up Earth, Batman sacrificed himself and stopped Superman by unknown technology, leading to both of them dying.
    BC also mentioned that there was a built-in Reset Button at this point in the story, that if 5G is not well-received at this point, would send everything back to status quo.

And this reminded me of another built-in Reset Button by another writer, Jonathan Hickman.
    So in Hickman's House of X, he revealed that Moira is a mutant with the power to reset the timeline. So if Hickman wants to go back to status quo, he can always just kill Moira. I think Bendis might have built in something similar.

Before Bendis's Legion run, he wrote Legion of Super-Heroes: Millennium, which focuses on Rose and Thorn, who was able to live for 1000 years through the entire 5G time to Legion time, and she was also one of the founding members of the Legion.

My theory is that she is the "Moira" in Bendis's Legion run. It is possible that she lived on forever to the end of time, and she would become the Time Trapper because she is literally trapped in time. And she will have the power to reset the timeline if things didn't go her way, just like Moira can. And if 5G fails, she can change the timeline just like the Time Trapper always used to do.

So if Superman vs DC Universe (2024) doesn't go well, DC can always pull the plug and use Time Trapper for another reboot.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I don't post on here at all anymore, but I just had to drop by and give you props for this theory.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 01-28-2023 at 12:26 AM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Rose & Thorn as the “Moira” of 5G would certainly make a lot of sense. One of the big events was going to be Superman/Batman Against The DCU where everyone would have had to choose sides between Clark & Bruce or Jon & Luke/Jace. I’m sure most of the JL would have sided with Clark and it makes sense then that the Legion would side with Jon. Superman himself being “the Great Darkness” would be a new twist on the Darkseid reveal from the original story.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

First of all, Congratulations for the creativity. Really OP created a whole storyline based in throwaway points. That is really a good way to exercise creativity and I would recommending to OP to start writing stories. As an elseworld or Black Label, could be interesting.

But I think than most of the ideas have no support, at least from what was show in the Bendis run.

Most of the ideas related to 5G came form Dan DiDio. Those ideas were going to be implemented as part of the 5G initiative.

In Millenium, the earth still was a whole planet for a long time still was a whole planet, including the time of Booster Gold (Century 25th). When Rose left the planet, Earth was still intact. So whatever destroyed earth happened between those eras. Far later than the early 21st century. However, Bendis is also know for forget the continuity not only from other books but from his own books also, so maybe there were plans about that.

Jor-El had not story with the United Planets, but with the Circle, that cosmic Illuminati than Bendis created.
    And made Thorn the resert button, as Moira, well, the comparisions would rain over that point. Lack of creativity on Bendis side. Most possible the reset button would be a Deus ex Machina than Bendis would had take of his pocket with no hint nor anticipation, as he usually does.

Bendis has a lousy track record on abandoned hanging plots. I concede than Bendis is good creating expectations, but is really bad at delivering good resolutions to his plots. I don't think he is that good to create a complicated storyline, but his talent is to make good moments and scenes. But not extended storylines. Bendis is not that good.

Still, the ideas of theother had been a more fun read than Justice League vs LoSH.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Rose & Thorn as the “Moira” of 5G would certainly make a lot of sense. One of the big events was going to be Superman/Batman Against The DCU where everyone would have had to choose sides between Clark & Bruce or Jon & Luke/Jace. I’m sure most of the JL would have sided with Clark and it makes sense then that the Legion would side with Jon. Superman himself being “the Great Darkness” would be a new twist on the Darkseid reveal from the original story.
    Would had been made more sense to have Lana Lang as the immortal one. Maybe Bendis wanted to use Lana as the one who would had become immortal, but the idea was rejected and he used the other only redhead he could think about. Even if that redhead is a blonde using a redhead wig. But that was not something than could stop the Bender who Bends characters and plots at his liking.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin