Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Would You Like to See Another Costume Change For Superman?

We all remember the Electric Smurf Costumeof the 90's and the change he had whn Pre Flashpoint Supes ened up in the New 52 universe by wearing firstly a black, capeless suit and then wearing an all blue costume during the Rebirth version, then a new post Reborn costume before returning to his classic look for Action no1000 (all though I do believe it is a revised version of the suit).
    But would you be in favour for a new costume if they would announce it in terms of shaking the Status Quo a bit?

He only has the trunks back because Bendis wanted him in the classic look. All it would take is for another writer or artist to think the look is dated, and he'll get a modernised look again.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I do not. Similar to Wonder Woman's Xena look and Cap's random hoody, nothing bests the iconic look. Supes is a classic.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I am very iffy about giving him costume changes. Largely because I don't like most changes. New 52's costume sucked. Didn't care for the Rebirth suit. As I said in the other costume thread, the only time I think they did it right was in S&L. And that's because it mined from previous versions. Even S&L toned down the worst elements from the sources it mined from. Like New 52 and Rebirth. About the only real costume change I liked was Kingdom Come. And it's because they didn't change much except the symbol.
    Assassinate Putin!

I posted this fan art in another thread but I LOVE this! The color scheme really caught my .

474B4EF3-C92A-4E64-B570-53C0F9E7F914.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    I posted this fan art in another thread but I LOVE this! The color scheme really caught my .

^^^Thats really nice!
    Color scheme aside, it puts me in mind of Hyperion’s militaristic Supreme Power look.

And it also made me giggle as it reminded me of this.

Depends on the change, really. If they do it just to shake up the status quo then I want a in-story reason for it and I want a clear and obvious end point, with an exit ramp back to normal. I tend to dislike shock value gimmicks, but if it's just part of a story and not a new "normal" then sure, as long as the story is good, bring it on!

If we were talking long-term then I'm much more picky. I do want tweaks and adjustments made to the classic suit, to keep it modern and updated without losing its timeless quality. But I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel either, there's a reason the classic suit is timeless, and is the blueprint every other character has built from.

I'd welcome the Reborn suit back. That was 99.5% perfect, with the shirt cuffs the only minor flaw. And I think the t-shirt look should remain in use, most likely as part of Clark's origin.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I’d love to see them use one of Mikel Janin’s caped variants of his Authority suit:

Far left would be a cool look.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-29-2023 at 03:35 PM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Depends on the change, really. If they do it just to shake up the status quo then I want a in-story reason for it and I want a clear and obvious end point, with an exit ramp back to normal. I tend to dislike shock value gimmicks, but if it's just part of a story and not a new "normal" then sure, as long as the story is good, bring it on!

If we were talking long-term then I'm much more picky. I do want tweaks and adjustments made to the classic suit, to keep it modern and updated without losing its timeless quality. But I'm not looking to reinvent the wheel either, there's a reason the classic suit is timeless, and is the blueprint every other character has built from.

I'd welcome the Reborn suit back. That was 99.5% perfect, with the shirt cuffs the only minor flaw. And I think the t-shirt look should remain in use, most likely as part of Clark's origin.
    Yeah I liked the Reborn suit very much, for me it was the trunkless look perfected. I was kinda hoping it stuck around a bit longer myself, felt like a nice update to the classic look while still having a similar feel overall. Ain't never gonna complain the classic is back though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d love to see them use one of Mikel Janin’s caped variants of his Authority suit:

Love these Janin designs, would be happy to see any one of them again, including the suit he actually wore. Only one I'm not too big on is the grey suit/red cape combo, second to right.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post

This is cool, looks like a tactical type thing.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Astonishing Member

Not really.

I mean, I'd love if they retroactively canonized other costumes in Superman's past. For instance, making the Fleischer suit his 'original' suit or something he wore early in his career at any rate. Acknowledging the New 52 armor, and the Rebirth & Reborn suits in flashbacks. The T-shirt and jeans look for 'Superboy' flashbacks. But for the present-day, I'm pretty okay with them sticking to the classic look, trunks and all.

One change I wouldn't mind seeing is maybe playing around with the S...making it smaller and looking more like the Golden Age/Earth 2 version. According to the current JSA series, in Helena's very Earth 2-esq future, Clark does wear the classic Earth 2 suit. I wouldn't mind them moving in that direction. The suit is anyway the classic suit with a bit of a nod to Siegal/Shuster.

For reference, this is what I mean...

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post

I like the one on the far right. That's a great "older" Superman suit.
    Assassinate Putin!

Is there no love for the weird Kryptonian inspired suit he wore during the Cathexis of the 6th Dimension story?
    Screenshot_20230201_181001_Chrome.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Not really.

I mean, I'd love if they retroactively canonized other costumes in Superman's past. For instance, making the Fleischer suit his 'original' suit or something he wore early in his career at any rate. Acknowledging the New 52 armor, and the Rebirth & Reborn suits in flashbacks. The T-shirt and jeans look for 'Superboy' flashbacks. But for the present-day, I'm pretty okay with them sticking to the classic look, trunks and all.

One change I wouldn't mind seeing is maybe playing around with the S...making it smaller and looking more like the Golden Age/Earth 2 version. According to the current JSA series, in Helena's very Earth 2-esq future, Clark does wear the classic Earth 2 suit. I wouldn't mind them moving in that direction. The suit is anyway the classic suit with a bit of a nod to Siegal/Shuster.

For reference, this is what I mean...

I love this symbol but I also feel like it only works for the Earth 2 Superman. It feels weird to see any other version using it.
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I love this symbol but I also feel like it only works for the Earth 2 Superman. It feels weird to see any other version using it.
    I get that.

Then again, that symbol is derived from the Siegal/Shuster symbol, which is the common heritage of every version of Superman. Even in-universe, in a Metaversal sense, the current Superman once used to be the Siegal/Shuster Superman. So I honestly don't think that symbol should be off the table for the modern Superman.

It's a bit like how, for a long time in the Bronze Age, the plain black bat used to be associated with the Earth 2 Batman, while the yellow oval was Earth 1. But today, the plain black bat is pretty much the default for most modern versions of Batman.

Funnily enough, a lot of Earth 2 stuff ended up influencing the modern versions of the characters anyway. Clark and Lois getting married. Dick growing up and becoming a major hero in his own right. Selina being virtually Bruce's primary love interest (and them almost getting married). I believe Lois has now become the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Planet (much like how Clark became the Editor-in-Chief of the Daily Star on Earth 2). So the chest symbol really shouldn't pose much of a problem...
    Last edited by bat39; 02-06-2023 at 09:12 AM.

I would definitely be in favor of a costume change.

Predictably, I'm going to nominate the New52 Kryptonian body armor costume, which is my all-time favorite or, second to that, the slight variant used towards the end of the New52 Superman's life, which was I believe actually an earth fabric version with an identical visual design, after the body armor was destroyed. That whole costume was great- high collar, black Superman logo outline on the cape, no trunks, red belt, red boots. A million cool little details I liked.

However, on a more realistic note (because I doubt they are going to go back to the New52 costume full time unless there's some sort of big name celebrity writer who won't take a job without it.), I think just ditching the trunks for regular blue pants and a red belt would be a step forward (By doing something they've already done several times, so also a step backward forward? But a good one. ).

The trunks are IMO a huge anachronism for a Superman who was supposed to have born in the late 1980s or 1990s. It's not something someone of that era would do unless he was a big professional wrestling fan growing up, wanted to accent his sexuality, or read a lot of Superman comics. Neither of those first two things really shout "Clark Kent" to me, and if he did the third thing, well, then we'd be talking about Superboy Prime's uniform choices and not the Superman from the main DC Universe.

I would reserve the trunks for Elseworlds and out of continuity books where Superman is in his prime prior to 1970 or so. Obviously, if Kal-L (Not a misspelling, separate version of Clark Kent from the original Earth 2) showed up, he'd be wearing them and so forth. I just don't see them as a 2020s main Superman thing. I mean, they're using them for him, so they are in a literal sense, but it's a bit jarring in that context. It doesn't fit the character IMO.