Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm not sure how controversial this is going to be, but I'm going to go with Arrow. That first season was pretty amazing and I'm still stunned with what they managed to do on the CW back then. But while the next season was hardly bad (I loved the inclusion of Sara Lance and that final fight with Slade was pretty great), it def dropped in quality a bit for me from that point on.
    I agree. (IMO) Green Arrow (and Batman) work best in a world where "superhuman" means the upper peak of human potential. Further, taking him off the island during his five year marooning was way less interesting to me than the various intrigues the plot twist enabled.

Extraordinary Member

Veronica Mars

That first season was pure perfection. The other seasons weren't bad, just a big drop in quality IMO.

Astonishing Member

I will say the Handmaids tale and the walking dead. Just off the very top of my head.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Veronica Mars

That first season was pure perfection. The other seasons weren't bad, just a big drop in quality IMO.
    Great call.

True Detective. First season was so amazing any followup would've been tough. 2 and 3 weren't bad, but I think S2 really dropped the ball in the last third of the season by sidelining McAdams, and Taylor Kitch's character was a waste of time in an already crowded cast. S3 could have been really good, but it just didn't meet the level of S1 and I think the ending was pretty bad.

(and yeah, "Heroes" was my first thought)
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 01-28-2023 at 06:01 PM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Reven8e. I actually think it was an awesome one-season premise (based on The Count of Monte Cristo), but when it became a hit, they stretched it out way too much.
    Agreed on all points. Great show that wore out its welcome

Might as well get this out of the way, but how about The Promised Neverland (2019).
    When the 2nd season aired, many fans were irate when the anime made changes from the manga...

Last edited by K7P5V; 01-29-2023 at 01:56 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    [center]Might as well get this out of the way, but how about The Promised Neverland (2019).
    When the 2nd season aired, many fans were irate when the anime made changes from the manga...
    I didn't even watch S2, I was told by many here it would just not worth it.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

This is based only on my personal feelings, by no means do I feel think this is a majority view:

Legion I really didn’t like the direction they went in in season 2 & 3, making David the bad guy (and they seemed to just forget how awful the Shadow King was)
    Killing Eve I didn’t think much of season 2 and didn’t bother with the rest
    Orphan Black It didn’t get bad, but I really think it lost something as it kept going
    Motherland:Fort Salem I loved the first season, but though seasons 2&3 were not a huge drop in quality, I think this was another occasion where all the best stuff was in the first season and the writers didn’t have a strong idea of where to go from there.
    The O.C. Not that I think it was top-quality drama or anything, but it was a lot of fun for one season, and then…

I agree with everyone who has said Heroes, though even s1 had some problems, imo.

I feel I should mention that I was never a big fan of Lost (I though it was overrated), but season 5 just blew me away with it’s time travel twists and turns.

Maybe not great, but 13 reasons why would be IMO better off as a one-season series. The second season has already felt reduntant and I couldn't bring myself to watch the rest.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Extraordinary Member

Desperate Housewives and Ally McBeal

The first season for both was quirky and fun with some nice drama.

After that, both just became ridiculous.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I thought Heroes had one great season, one good one, then it fell apart, rallied a little bit with the final regular season, and then fell right into the Sarlacc with that revival season.

I personally enjoyed the hell out of all of Westworld. The third season is one of my favorite cyberpunk stories on film. I can't say how the final season shook out since HBO very nicely nuked it before I finished watching it... I will have to get the DVD set.

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

son of zorn

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Reven8e. I actually think it was an awesome one-season premise (based on The Count of Monte Cristo), but when it became a hit, they stretched it out way too much.

This reminds me of Sheldon’s line on Big Bang Theory … “ They can't just cancel a show like Alphas. You know? They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes lowered the quality season by season till we were grateful it ended.
    I wanted to love it more but the Writers strike REALLY killed this show. But yes, Season 1 was AWESOME.

Police Squad. Comedy at it's finest...