Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Singer/Band whose "biggest" hit isn't their best song

I know this is opening a can of worms, but lots of singers or bands are known for their biggest hit (whether looking at chart position or sales) but it's not their best or most popular song (concert performances or album cuts).

All of them.

Mighty Member

The one which always sticks out for me is Faith No More's Epic. Now don't get me wrong, it's a great song, one of the best on that respective album, but it feels very much like an 80's version of a 90's song.

You could take anything from their follow up album, angel dust and it's miles better than Epic. Midlife Crises is a fantastic track. And even King for Day has better songs than Epic.
    And that's not counting the countless other Mike Patton projects...

Yeah, most bands/artists, their best known song isn't usually their best, but it's a stepping stone for the deeper cuts.

Pink Floyd. Money is the weakest song from Dark Side of the Moon.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I would say Nirvana did their best songs at their MTV Unplugged performance even though some of those songs were not their biggest hits

And for me Billy Joels best song has always been The Downeaster Alexa despite that not being at all his most popular song. In fact a lot of people I talk to have never heard of it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner

It's their only #1 song yet I can think of at least a half dozen songs I would put over that one.

Heck, it's not even their best ballad - that would be Waiting For A Girl Like You.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    I Want To Know What Love Is by Foreigner

It's their only #1 song yet I can think of at least a half dozen songs I would put over that one.

Heck, it's not even their best ballad - that would be Waiting For A Girl Like You.
    …I like very much “I Want To Know What Love Is”
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

REM.

Losing my Religion is far from their best song but it is their biggest hit. There are so many "best" songs in their catalogue, though, that its tough to choose just one. But because of hits like LMR, their best stuff gets overshadowed. Same could be said of Rush.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-30-2023 at 12:40 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Not a singer or a band but a composer: Maurice Ravel. His “Boléro” overshadowed all his other works.

“Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    …I like very much “I Want To Know What Love Is”
    I do too but it's not their best song by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    REM.

Losing my Religion is far from their best song but it is their biggest hit. There are so many "best" songs in their catalogue, though, that its tough to choose just one. But because of hits like LMR, their best stuff gets overshadowed. Same could be said of Rush.
    I think REM's best stuff came earlier, and Losing My Religion (A song I love with some heavy personal meaning to me, just not quite what Stipe intended) marks the transition to things I enjoy a lot less.

Rush? Give me Freewill over Tom Sawyer any day.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I think REM's best stuff came earlier, and Losing My Religion (A song I love with some heavy personal meaning to me, just not quite what Stipe intended) marks the transition to things I enjoy a lot less.

Rush? Give me Freewill over Tom Sawyer any day.
    See, now here is a man of taste.

For Rush, I really liked Power Windows, the whole album. But Farewell to Kings was also so brilliant.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-31-2023 at 01:33 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Beastie Boys "Fight For Your Right (To Party)" is nowhere NEAR their best song.

You can pretty much pick any album after License to Ill and find better work.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar

When I was 11, Dionne Warwick was being produced by the Bee Gees and the song Heartbreaker was EVERYWHERE. Globally, it was her biggest hit (at least as a solo artist, That's What Friends are For may have come close).

And I hated it, and it took me a long time to even dive into her catalog and realize how great her earler, and some of her later stuff was.

Funnily, Dionne agrees with me.
    Warwick admitted in The Billboard Book of Number One Adult Contemporary Hits by Wesley Hyatt that she was not fond of "Heartbreaker" (regarding the song's international popularity, she quipped, "I cried all the way to the bank"),
    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

Hillary was right!

I can never get over how many good songs that Joy Division had that are much better than Love Will Tear Us Apart!
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.