Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    This year I was surprised by. Between the smith slap jokes and cocaine bear jokes we had some great heartfelt moments. Shame john Williom's didn't break the record they were teasing but we got some actors who have been around for a long time winning for the first time and they clearly were emotional over it. Frasier in tears, Yeoh crying telling woman "Don't let anyone tell you you're too old to make it" to Curtus emotional "i won a Oscor".

The look on both Curtis and bassist face however was telling. Bassett was really shocked. She was pretty much expected to win. Curtus mouth open and shocked face. She didn't expect to win. Moments like the guy talking about his dog at the hotel and them singing happy birthday was great also.

The end gag with "days without oscar accident" than high fiving cocaine bear was a funny way to end it.

Also, man west front and everywhere swept this year. Black panther did get one award and so did top gun. Did Elvis or fablemans win anything? Looks like turning red or boots couldn't defeat Pinocchio.
    There's always next year

As for Bassett, I think she would have won if she hadn't been up against the juggernaut that EEAAO had become. While I had hoped she would win, I pretty much knew Jamie was going home with the gold going into the show.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    A lot goes into how people vote. Being that her movie ended up with Best Picture help. Being the daughter of Hollywood icons helped. Having a long career helped. Also, being that Bassett was in a superhero movie didn't help her. The best performances are not always awarded -- that's nothing new.
    There is an Entertainment Weekly article here where four anonymous Academy voters- an Actor, a Marketing Exec, a Director, and a Costume Designer talk about their voting process and how they voted. It's a fascinating look inside, though if I knew who the actor was, I'd immediately refuse to see anything they've ever done, because they come off as a HUGE *******.

I always host a fun Oscar party with my friends, and we were all so happy with the results. All cheering loudly when Michelle Yeoh won; and EEATO won Best Picture. I do feel the Best Supporting Actress was the hardest category to pick. Jamie, Kerry, Stephanie and Angela all had solid claims, I really couldn't call who would win... all I knew is I wouldn't be mad whoever won; Jamie and Angela for legacy, Kerry and Stephanie for performance. So kudos Jamie! And now, I believe, she is the first ever Baroness to win an Oscar! Overall I thought it was a great year, a great celebration of film, and uniqueness. I was very happy RRR won Best Song (though I will admit I liked it far more for the dance than the actual song), but there was no result I fundamentally didn't agree with. It was a really great year for film, and I think in that fact, we are all winners.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Just saw that A24 is the first studio to sweep the six major Oscar categories. That's really impressive.
    Like all stats, it's clever wording specifically to make things seem... more groundbreaking/tell the narrative the author wants, etc.

Only 3 films have won what is truly considered "the Top 5" (which is picture, director, actor, actress and writing).
    - It Happened One Night (1935)
    - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    - the Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Only two other films have won 3 Oscars for acting (NO FILM has won all four).
    - A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
    - Network (1974)

THAT SAID... to compare Everything, Everywhere All At Once (2022) to the acting wins... very, VERY impressive (as those films didn't win for director or picture).

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I mean is Scent of Woman really Al Pacino's Best Performance?
    One of his best, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I have to disagree about the performance being Oscar worthy, but we know we have different opinions about Wakanda Forever. That said, I actually saw all the supporting Actress movies, except Hong Chau (which I'm going to watch this week), and I honestly think the only competition Bassett had was from Stephanie Hsu. Had Stephanie won, I'd have been less salty, because she had a major role in EEAAO, and played a ton of characters. But Angela has been winning more in the big awards leading up to the Oscars. I don't think Hsu won any and Curtis only won the SAG award.
    That's not true, sorry. The ACTUAL big awards in the run up are Golden Globes, BAFTA, SAG. Golden Globe (Basset), BAFTA (Kerry), SAG (Curtis). It was by no means a sure thing or all sown up, and if people encouraged her to think that way, I'm truly sorry if she listened.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    That is exactly what happened, IMO. Curtis got it for her body of work. But that makes it look worse, because Angela Bassett has an equal, or stronger body of work. They are the same age. Angela also had a nomination in 1994 for What's Love Got to Do With It? (which she did great in) and lost to Holly Hunter's Piano performance. I think part of it was Jamie Lee Curtis has far more Hollywood cachet with the older Academy members because of her parents.
    You're either intentionally being dismissive about Jamie Lee Curtis' career or you are simply uninformed. So allow me to educate, because I like to believe it's the latter

Jamie Lee Curtis was BAFTA nominated for both Trading Places (1983) and A Fish Called Wanda (1988). She won the Golden Globe for Best Actress for True Lies (1994) (and was nominated for the SAG too), and had been nominated for a total of 8 Golden Globes in her career (winning 2). That's not even mentioned My Girl (1991), Freaky Friday (2003), Knives Out (2019); these are not obscure films, these were major hits. She has also been nominated for an EMMY and a Grammy! She has worked consistently since the late 70s and has been part of major hit films every decade... and still found time to be a mother, a children's author, a baroness and a sex symbol. To date, her films have grossed over $2.3 BILLION at the box office. Now all of this, alone, is evidence enough she EARNED her legacy and her praise. But I haven't even mentioned her status as THE Scream Queen. One of the most famous horror franchises of all time is eternally connected to her... Halloween (1978) will always be her over-riding memory.

Now I love Angela Basset, I've loved her since way back in Strange Days (1995). And I get AHS and Black Panther got her a nice new host of fans, love that... but... by the time Angela Basset finally broke through in the 90s, Jamie Lee Curtis already had two BAFTA noms, a Golden Globe, a decade of fame and a horror film franchise. I think we should just agree both have a wonderful body of work they should (and I am sure ARE) proud of.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Like all stats, it's clever wording specifically to make things seem... more groundbreaking/tell the narrative the author wants, etc.

Only 3 films have won what is truly considered "the Top 5" (which is picture, director, actor, actress and writing).
    - It Happened One Night (1935)
    - One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)
    - the Silence of the Lambs (1991)

Only two other films have won 3 Oscars for acting (NO FILM has won all four).
    - A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
    - Network (1974)

THAT SAID... to compare Everything, Everywhere All At Once (2022) to the acting wins... very, VERY impressive (as those films didn't win for director or picture).

One of his best, yes.

That's not true, sorry. The ACTUAL big awards in the run up are Golden Globes, BAFTA, SAG. Golden Globe (Basset), BAFTA (Kerry), SAG (Curtis). It was by no means a sure thing or all sown up, and if people encouraged her to think that way, I'm truly sorry if she listened.

You're either intentionally being dismissive about Jamie Lee Curtis' career or you are simply uninformed. So allow me to educate, because I like to believe it's the latter

Jamie Lee Curtis was BAFTA nominated for both Trading Places (1983) and A Fish Called Wanda (1988). She won the Golden Globe for Best Actress for True Lies (1994) (and was nominated for the SAG too), and had been nominated for a total of 8 Golden Globes in her career (winning 2). That's not even mentioned My Girl (1991), Freaky Friday (2003), Knives Out (2019); these are not obscure films, these were major hits. She has also been nominated for an EMMY and a Grammy! She has worked consistently since the late 70s and has been part of major hit films every decade... and still found time to be a mother, a children's author, a baroness and a sex symbol. To date, her films have grossed over $2.3 BILLION at the box office. Now all of this, alone, is evidence enough she EARNED her legacy and her praise. But I haven't even mentioned her status as THE Scream Queen. One of the most famous horror franchises of all time is eternally connected to her... Halloween (1978) will always be her over-riding memory.

Now I love Angela Basset, I've loved her since way back in Strange Days (1995). And I get AHS and Black Panther got her a nice new host of fans, love that... but... by the time Angela Basset finally broke through in the 90s, Jamie Lee Curtis already had two BAFTA noms, a Golden Globe, a decade of fame and a horror film franchise. I think we should just agree both have a wonderful body of work they should (and I am sure ARE) proud of.
    Scent of a Woman one of Pacino's best? Ok

Also, He was up against RDJ for Chaplin, Clint Eastwood for Unforgiven, Denzel Washington for Malcolm-X, and Stephen Rea for Crying Game. Pacino was easily the worst of that collection for that year.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 03-15-2023 at 07:39 AM.

I always felt that Angela Bassett really should have won for her portrayal of Tina Turner. But that was 1993, and there was no chance for her to win at that time because there was a glass ceiling for black actresses to win best actress at the Oscars. Heck, the Oscars and Hollywood have had a troubling history with black actors, period.

Nothing against Holly Hunter, but she was in a movie that is a clear classic and she benefitted from being associated with it.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 03-15-2023 at 11:24 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.