Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default The 95th Academy Awards

The nominations for the 95th Academy Awards, airing Sunday March 12 and covering movies released in 2022, have been out for a week.

Best Picture

“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Malte Grunert, Producer

“Avatar: The Way of Water,” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

“The Banshees of Inisherin,” Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers

“Elvis,” Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, Producers

“Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers

“The Fabelmans,” Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers

“Tár,” Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, Producers

“Top Gun: Maverick,” Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers

“Triangle of Sadness,” Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, Producers

“Women Talking,” Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, Producers

Best Director

Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Todd Field (“Tár”)

Ruben Östlund (“Triangle of Sadness”)

Best Lead Actor

Austin Butler (“Elvis”)

Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”)

Paul Mescal (“Aftersun”)

Bill Nighy (“Living”)

Best Lead Actress

Cate Blanchett (“Tár”)

Ana de Armas (“Blonde”)

Andrea Riseborough (“To Leslie”)

Michelle Williams (“The Fabelmans”)

Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actor

Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Brian Tyree Henry (“Causeway”)

Judd Hirsch (“The Fabelmans”)

Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Supporting Actress

Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)

Hong Chau (“The Whale”)

Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Stephanie Hsu (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Adapted Screenplay

“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Screenplay by Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson & Ian Stokell

“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery,” Written by Rian Johnson

“Living,” Written by Kazuo Ishiguro

“Top Gun: Maverick,” Screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie; Story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks

“Women Talking,” Screenplay by Sarah Polley

Best Original Screenplay

“The Banshees of Inisherin,” Written by Martin McDonagh

“Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert

“The Fabelmans,” Written by Steven Spielberg & Tony Kushner

“Tár,” Written by Todd Field

“Triangle of Sadness,” Written by Ruben Östlund

Best Cinematography

“All Quiet on the Western Front”, James Friend

“Bardo, False Chronicle of a Handful of Truths,” Darius Khondji

“Elvis,” Mandy Walker

“Empire of Light,” Roger Deakins

“Tár,” Florian Hoffmeister

Best Documentary Feature Film

“All That Breathes,” Shaunak Sen, Aman Mann and Teddy Leifer

“All the Beauty and the Bloodshed,” Laura Poitras, Howard Gertler, John Lyons, Nan Goldin and Yoni Golijov

“Fire of Love,” Sara Dosa, Shane Boris and Ina Fichman

“A House Made of Splinters,” Simon Lereng Wilmont and Monica Hellström

“Navalny,” Daniel Roher, Odessa Rae, Diane Becker, Melanie Miller and Shane Boris

Best International Feature Film

“All Quiet on the Western Front” (Germany)

“Argentina, 1985” (Argentina)

“Close” (Belgium)

“EO” (Poland)

“The Quiet Girl” (Ireland)

Best Visual Effects

“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Frank Petzold, Viktor Müller, Markus Frank and Kamil Jafar

“Avatar: The Way of Water,” Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett

“The Batman,” Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy

“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever,” Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick

“Top Gun: Maverick,” Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher

Best Animated Feature Film

“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio,” Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley

“Marcel the Shell With Shoes On,” Dean Fleischer Camp, Elisabeth Holm, Andrew Goldman, Caroline Kaplan and Paul Mezey

“Puss in Boots: The Last Wish,” Joel Crawford and Mark Swift

“The Sea Beast,” Chris Williams and Jed Schlanger

“Turning Red,” Domee Shi and Lindsey Collins
    Some takeaways...

- The Banshees of Inisherin and Everything, Everywhere All at Once did very well, with four acting noms as well as nominations for Best Director, Picture and Screenplay

- Angela Basset is the first actor to be nominated for an Oscar for an MCU film. She may even be the frontrunner.

- It was a great Oscars for first time nominees, with 16 in the acting categories for a combination of respected figures getting their first nominations after long careers (Michelle Yeoh, Brendan Gleeson, Bill Nighy, Jamie Lee Curtis), breakout performances (Austin Butler, Stephanie Hsu) and recognition for actors who have emerged in the last few years (Ana De Armas, Andrea Riseborough, Hong Chau, Brian Tyree Henry).

- One of the weirdest stories is the nomination of Andrea Riseborough for a film that made $27,000 at the box office. Her nomination became a Cause célčbre among celebrity friends, so there is the question of whether the campaign broke rules in the process.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/christi...on-1235243355/
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

BANNED

Some useless decisions.

Top Gun Maverick and Avatar WOW should have gotten nominations for cinemathogprhay.

Avatar WOW should have gotten nomination for Sound and Music Score.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Hopefully Butler wins best actor.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I never knew that sequels automatically go into the Adapted Screenplay category.

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    Top Gun Maverick and Avatar WOW should have gotten nominations for cinematography.
    Agreed. That was surprising.

Haven't seen Maverick, but with Avatar, so much of that was created digitally that it wasn't really cinematography.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Retired

I know why they did it, but I think it's pretty stupid that Brendan Gleeson is in the supporting category and Colin Farrell is in the lead category, as they are both lead performances and they're both on screen for about the same amount of time. Cynically, I think the only reason is the difference in their looks. Barry Keoghan has the proper supporting role in that movie--but they're likely to cancel each other out.

Anyway, I want Brendan Fraser and Ke Huy Quan to win in those categories. Michelle Yeoh and Kerry Condon in theirs.

I don't think categories should be split male and female and this will probably be phased out in a few years. Although exactly how they would do it instead, I don't know. Stunt performers should also have their own category. Not that Oscars matter anymore--they have lost their luster.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't think categories should be split male and female and this will probably be phased out in a few years. Although exactly how they would do it instead, I don't know.
    With a great deal of difficulty.

Think of the screaming if people of one gender won the big award like three years in a row.

Very soon, however, a non-binary actor will have a clearly nomination-worthy performance and that will force the issue.

It would also deprive the ceremony of 2 of its "big" awards.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Haven't seen Maverick, but with Avatar, so much of that was created digitally that it wasn't really cinematography.
    It should have been nominated for Best Animated Film, honestly.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Still firmly believe that the Oscars would be much more viewed and people would get over the idea of combining actors and actresses if they did best pictures by genre, rather than the same generally unwatched by masses and depressing dramas being the main picks each year. Best Actor in Genre awards mean more pictures get recognition, especially in genres like horror and comedy which rarely get love at the Oscars.

Oh and Till probably deserved some attention, but that’s just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Still firmly believe that the Oscars would be much more viewed and people would get over the idea of combining actors and actresses if they did best pictures by genre, rather than the same generally unwatched by masses and depressing dramas being the main picks each year. Best Actor in Genre awards mean more pictures get recognition, especially in genres like horror and comedy which rarely get love at the Oscars.

Well, then who gets to decide what is comedy, Drama etc...
    It's like when the Grammys started their Hard Rock/Metal Category (1989)and Jethro Tull was nominated and WON over Metallica. Other prestigious HardRock/Metal nominees that year were, Iggy Pop, Janes Addiction, AC/DC.
    So, yeah,. splitting can be nice, but it can also lead to some WTF moments.

Austin Butler or Brendan Fraser for me this year, hopefully. With a slight edge to Fraser, just because I feel he's paid his dues more. Plus Butler was stuck in a bad movie, even though he did great in the role. It really was a movie more about the Colonel and Hanks performance was a bit odd I felt.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post

I don't think categories should be split male and female and this will probably be phased out in a few years. Although exactly how they would do it instead, I don't know.
    This just seems like PC nonsense and will exclude so many great performances from getting recognized. They would just being doing it to make a small vocal crowd happy and then they will turn around and not be happy the first year it is like 4 guys and one woman nominated

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

I've actually watched a bunch of the Best Picture movies this year. I'm only missing these three, and I'll be seeing Fabelmans this week at the theater. I don't think the other two even opened in my city.

“The Fabelmans,” Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    With a great deal of difficulty.

Think of the screaming if people of one gender won the big award like three years in a row.

Very soon, however, a non-binary actor will have a clearly nomination-worthy performance and that will force the issue.

It would also deprive the ceremony of 2 of its "big" awards.
    The general rule seems to be that actors who consider themselves to be nonbinary or trans can push for eligibility in a different category than their chromosomes would indicate. A nonbinary performer would be allowed to run for best actor.

If this became widespread, they might split up the categories more, although I don't know of a split that is as even.

They could split by drama VS musical/ comedy, or something like fiction VS non-fiction (IE- is it a performance based on a real person) or a different category for antagonist or something.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post

Till was good. One thing that we have to keep in mind is that people aren't voting for a slate; they're ultimately making one vote in each category (even with instant runoff systems.)

There are 1,302 members of the acting branch.

https://variety.com/2023/awards/awar...rs-1235505205/

If Michelle Yeoh and Cate Blanchett are the frontrunners for Best Actress, they might get a lot of votes. The other nominees would be determined by the decisions of weirdos (in this case, it just means people doing something atypical) who didn't support one of the frontrunners.

The discussion about it gets weird when Oscars voters are criticized for decisions the critic wouldn't necessarily support. Critics are often asking why someone didn't get nominated while they weren't the critics' top choice either, so there's often an easy answer than the critic and the Oscar voter are in agreement that a potential candidate wasn't the best of the year in the category.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    I've actually watched a bunch of the Best Picture movies this year. I'm only missing these three, and I'll be seeing Fabelmans this week at the theater. I don't think the other two even opened in my city.

I've seen all of them except "All Quiet on the Western Front." It's a decent group, to be honest.

None of the films are bad, and some (Everything, Tar, Top Gun Maverick) are really good.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets