Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Why didn't the Jim Hammond "Human Torch" remain as popular as Namor?

The younger Human Torch probably upstaged him.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I agree. Bringing back Hammond would either lessen Johnny's importance, or not be a big deal due to Johnny's popularity. DC had a Earth One/Earth Two setup where Golden Age characters with the same name and approximate power set could dwell happily, but Marvel didn't do this.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Astonishing Member

Johnny was largely based on Jim Hammond, so there wasn't much point to bringing back -- though they eventually did. Johnny even wore a uniform patterned after Jim's in the early 70s (the red/yellow one which I thought was cool). Namor didn't have a modern day analog, though they did introduce Namorita later -- but she was an analog of Namora.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    Johnny was largely based on Jim Hammond, so there wasn't much point to bringing back -- though they eventually did. Johnny even wore a uniform patterned after Jim's in the early 70s (the red/yellow one which I thought was cool). Namor didn't have a modern day analog, though they did introduce Namorita later -- but she was an analog of Namora.
    Was gonna more or less say this lol.

Hammond is redundant because Johnny exists, it's not unlike how Johnny Blaze replaced Carter Slade as the Ghost Rider, it's simply a case of a replacement being more popular than the original who fell into obscurity.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I agree. Bringing back Hammond would either lessen Johnny's importance, or not be a big deal due to Johnny's popularity. DC had a Earth One/Earth Two setup where Golden Age characters with the same name and approximate power set could dwell happily, but Marvel didn't do this.
    It's more the latter. I feel Jim was unable to find a place outside of WW2. So Johnny and Vision did his niche better.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I know, right?! The majority might not agree, but Hammond's revival is still breathtaking (IMHO):
    Last edited by K7P5V; 01-30-2023 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Once a conscious decision was made to write a character that appealed to the then younger audience, the Original Human Torch's fate was sealed. That they would later create the Vision pretty much was the gravestone and epitaph. I like OHT, but part of me thinks it was a mistake to bring him back. But sometimes nostalgia dominates our creative choices.

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    Wait a minute, is Namor popular?
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    I'd re-create Ultimate Earth for this very reason. Put Jim on that Earth along with Blue Marvel, Oshtur, Madelyne Pryor, Isaiah Bradley (Captain America), Miles Morales, the original Vision (Aarkus), Beta Ray Bill, the Mystery Men, the Squadron Sinister, some version of the X-Men lead by Mister Sinister and a few others.

I don't think Isaiah Bradley would work if he's not on the same earth as Steve Rogers. I mean the whole point of his character is that he was forgotten in the face of a white man.

Extraordinary Member

I think it is simply because he wasn't used. The super hero stuff went away for a few years...then was brought back in the 60s. Cap showed up in The Avengers and Namor became and enemy of the FF but Jim was never really brought back in any meaningful way like those two.
    All I wanted was to be unconditionally loved while never having to work on my flaws. Is that so much to ask?

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    Once a conscious decision was made to write a character that appealed to the then younger audience, the Original Human Torch's fate was sealed. That they would later create the Vision pretty much was the gravestone and epitaph. I like OHT, but part of me thinks it was a mistake to bring him back. But sometimes nostalgia dominates our creative choices.
    He would've been ideal for Avengers AI but a period piece approach like Mystery Men would've worked better.

JMS'S the Twelve would've also worked. I don't mind nostalgia as long as it has a purpose more than just keeping Superman young.

So having him live all those years would've been interesting. He could be a foil to Steve- a man untouched by time.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-30-2023 at 11:11 AM.

That's the MC-Young for you. Wokes are ruining everything, replacing all our classic characters with those babyfaced twinks.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    Wait a minute, is Namor popular?
    I guess it depends on how you define popular. He's very, very, very popular with all of his fans.

Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?