Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Given how sibling power scales up, Scott < Havok < Vulcan, Piotr < Ilyanna < Mikhail, with the last-introduced always being ridonkulously more powerful than the first introduced, I'm not sure I want Sara to be a mutant, since how do you 'scale up exponentially' from Jean?
    Claremont's original plans for Sara were to give her Sage's powers and codename:

A brief outline for a character named Sage appears in Claremont’s notebooks from the late 1980s, but is identified as “Sage (Sarah Grey).” She is described as a “Living Cerebro: can lock in on active mutant presence, sense whether character is good or bad.”
    https://mobile.twitter.com/claremont...50310083661825

Given how sibling power scales up, Scott < Havok < Vulcan, Piotr < Ilyanna < Mikhail, with the last-introduced always being ridonkulously more powerful than the first introduced, I'm not sure I want Sara to be a mutant, since how do you 'scale up exponentially' from Jean?
    Cordelia and Christian would disagree 😂

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Cordelia and Christian would disagree ��
    And the Guthries, I imagine. If they kept exponentially upgrading Melody would be an Omega (and that unnamed 10th child, a cosmic entity!)!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    Claremont's original plans for Sara were to give her Sage's powers and codename:

https://mobile.twitter.com/claremont...50310083661825
    You know, there was an aspect of the Sage character design that never made sense to me..... As if in the older stories part of the character design was just.... missing. But if the original concept for Sage was Sarah Grey? Suddenly it makes a LOT of sense if you look at it from the perspective of the character design had the "real name" and backstory get removed, and partially replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I mean, the stories don't also have to revolve just around Jean as the sole inevitable centerpoint of any angle you approach this from.
    They don't, my point there is that even if you go from "Sara is redundant because Madelyne is Jean's sister", Sara could till stand out from Madelyne, specially with how fucked in the head Madelyne is.

Making her into the physical manifestation of The One Above All? .
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    They don't, my point there is that even if you go from "Sara is redundant because Madelyne is Jean's sister", Sara could till stand out from Madelyne, specially with how fucked in the head Madelyne is.
    Oh I know, I was just responding to the general sentiment expressed there by a couple others, even though my post followed yours. Sorry, I should have used multi-quotes to clarify.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    Oh I know, I was just responding to the general sentiment expressed there by a couple others, even though my post followed yours. Sorry, I should have used multi-quotes to clarify.
    Oh actually I'm the one who replied poorly here, 'cause I wanted to support your idea that Sara doesn't have to be defined as just "Jean's sister", but I parroted my previous point too much and didn't really mention this other point besides saying "they don't" lol.

Like it's fine for her to start that way, but if any character is gonna grow in relevance, they need to be defined by themselves more.

Not that this means the angle of her being Jean's sister should be abandoned, having this connection also could give her interesting dynamics, just, if they decide to bring her back at any point, try to make sure she's not just "Jean's sister" if she's gonna be recurring, and don't abandon that angle if she grows as a character.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Oh actually I'm the one who replied poorly here, 'cause I wanted to support your idea that Sara doesn't have to be defined as just "Jean's sister", but I parroted my previous point too much and didn't really mention this other point besides saying "they don't" lol.

Like it's fine for her to start that way, but if any character is gonna grow in relevance, they need to be defined by themselves more.

Not that this means the angle of her being Jean's sister should be abandoned, having this connection also could give her interesting dynamics, just, if they decide to bring her back at any point, try to make sure she's not just "Jean's sister" if she's gonna be recurring, and don't abandon that angle if she grows as a character.
    Oh agreed, and I actually think there's a LOT of potential to be explored with a character with the powerset Claremont gave Sage and intended to give Sara. The whole activation thing. They've moved away from it with Sage and hardly ever use it with her anymore, and she has other responsibilities and narratives keeping her occupied, so Sara could be a great narrative vehicle for exploring some of the less-touched upon advantages for mutants in the Krakoan Age.

For instance, I've thought since it began that it would be cool to see mutants exploring the idea of 'Power Guilds' where instead of a traditional schooling structure, mutants with similar powersets or overlapping ones can springboard off each other's experiences and expertise in order to learn more about their powers than a generalized approach can manage. Like, there's only so much a teleporter can teach a shapeshifter about their powers, you know? Ultimately, a shapeshifter is going to be a better instructor for young mutants with shapeshifting abilities.

Rather than mutants with the same or overlapping powersets being seen as redundancies, we now have an opportunity to explore the interesting things you can get or create when you amass a lot of mutants with the same abilities. What more can they learn from each other when before most of them only had their own experiences to learn from, how better to define or utilize their powers? How much more individualized can mutants with broader powersets become when they can compare and contrast their capabilities with mutants with similar powers who HAVE given themselves individual flourishes, like many telepaths with psychic weapons unique to them, mutants who wield generic forcefield powers in very different ways, healers who have different ways of using their powers to hurt or to heal and teleporters who can pull off all kinds of 'tricks' unique to them, because its about their APPROACH to their powers rather than their powers themselves.

But at the same time, this could be used to foster communalism WITHOUT descending into tribalism, because rather than this accentuating differences between mutants, it could emphasize the commonalities just as much....if, say, mutants didn't have a limit on how many Guilds they could join, so long as there was something they could learn from them....which means Guilds wouldn't be restricted to specific powersets, but more what those powersets could DO. So a Flight Guild could have winged mutants, telekinetics, energy projectors who fly that way....etc. Because all of them, no matter HOW they fly, have things they can learn about flying from each other. Meanwhile, telekinetic fliers could also be in the Telekinetic Guild, or even the Force-Field Guild, while mutants with Force-Fields could also even be in something like the Healer Guild, where Cecilia Reyes is teaching seminars on how to use force-fields to act as temporary shunts or stitches to hold someone's wounds closed until they can get to a biokinetic who can fully heal them.

Which loops directly into the idea of mutant circuits, which I maintain is probably the biggest gain this era has actually produced, and one of the things with the most potential to explore....because the other way that this fosters mutant community and solidarity without becoming divisive....is the crossover between mutants being part of multiple Guilds based on HOW they want to use their powers, not just their powers themselves, and learning from each other and getting creative in seeing how even unlikely powers can be used to accomplish feats that are less obviously correlated with them (think of that Acolyte named Chrome, with transmutation powers - an unlikely powerset for someone in a Flight Guild, but Chrome could be part of that Guild just as much as a Transmutation Guild, thanks to how he's figured out how to use his transmutation powers to create a system of self-propelled flight for himself, similar to Cannonball's method of propulsion but just....taking the long way around to transmuting the elements and chemical reactions that Sam's powers ignite instinctively)....

Anyway, point is, that element of crossover, based on how mutants want to figure out how to use their powers just as much as what their powers actually are....feeds directly into the idea of mutant circuits and the fact that mutants together are much greater than the sum of their parts. The more interconnectivity between Guilds, via mutants freely and independently moving between them....the more awareness it brings mutants of how their powers can be conjoined with others in order to accomplish the feats they're trying to accomplish but can't figure out a way to do with just their own powers.

All of which brings me back to the potential for Sara....as a member or founder of something like say, an Activator's Guild.

Because think of how many stories throughout the X-books - usually cited as cautionary tales in-universe, that characters point to as proof of how dangerous mutants can be even when they don't mean to - think of how many stories there are of mutants who cause massive damage and even deaths upon the initial manifestation of their powers, when they're freaked out, have no idea what they're doing, etc. How many initial power manifestations are hyped up by characters like Graydon Creed as proof that even 'innocent mutant children' can be ticking time bombs that the rest of society has to be protected from.

Or how many mutants traumatize or cause harm to themselves the first time their powers manifest, because they can't control it and don't know what's happening. Mutants like Chamber, accidentally blowing their own face off, or Strong Guy, whose disproportionate frame is because he didn't know how to release all the kinetic energy he absorbed in the car accident that activated his power. Think of Jean herself, accidentally experiencing the death of her best friend Annie, because she was unprepared for it and hadn't built up the necessary shielding or learned yet how to disentangle herself from what she was sensing.

Now imagine something like an Activator Guild, where mutants with a powerset like Sara's, or telepaths and gene-manipulators like various biokinetics and Cerebra (from Marauders), Sage, etc....work together to find mutant children BEFORE their powers manifest for the first time....and then activate those powers in a safe, controlled environment. With empaths and mutants like Wallflower on hand to help keep the new mutant calm as the Activators switch on their abilities and find mutants with similar powersets to come help coach them through the initial adjustments and basics of how to control their powers. Maybe forming circuits with precogs from the Precog Guild before each initial activation, so they can review the most likely timelines and see if there's variables to this new mutant's powers that they're not anticipating, like when Chamber's manifestation destroyed his chest and face. The Activator Guild could have 'off-site' facilities on terraformed asteroids where they can safely activate the powers of even extremely powerful new mutants, in isolated and controlled environments where there's no risk of causing massive collateral damage to Krakoa or human cities, etc.

A character like Sara, for all that her intended power seems relatively minor and innocuous, could easily be used to narratively explore ways Krakoan society is hugely advantageous to not just new mutants, who can now navigate their initial manifestations more safely and with far less risk of trauma to themselves, making them far more likely to have a positive, healthy outlook on their own mutations.....but also to human societies, as Activators and Precogs working hand in hand could drastically reduce the numbers of catastrophic manifestations by new mutants living outside of Krakoa and having their powers activate in crowded human settings because they have no idea yet that they're latent mutants.

All of which would not only give the youngest generations of mutants, growing up on Krakoa, a much healthier experience 'growing up mutant,' but would also be a huge boon to human/mutant relations and a blow to anti-mutant fearmongering. As the possibility for mutant kids to unknowingly be ticking time bombs that are a potential threat to everyone around them whether they mean to or not....would be significantly lower as a result. Less collateral damage and trauma from initial manifestations all around, affecting the overall outlook humans have towards mutants and the threats they pose....and less trauma and guilt for mutants as they're now far less likely to have manifested their ability in some destructive way that they feel responsible for, no matter if they meant it to happen or not.