Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men Monday #189 – Percy Talks ‘X-Force’, ‘Wolverine’, and GR crossover

https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/30/x-...percy-x-force/

Props to our fellow posters who had their questions answered.

AIPT: OK, now we need to talk about Beast, of course. In X-Men Monday #90, way back in January 2021, you said, “I knew Beast’s ending before I ever started scripting my first issue.” Without spoiling too much, where would you say we are in your overall Hank story arc?

Ben: Look at Issue 1 of X-Force. The first scene — after the cold open — is Wolverine and Beast, tensely aligned, each offering a wildly different perspective on Krakoa. That’s the foundation we’ve been building off — and now they’re at the point of severance that’s been anticipated from the beginning.I know this is hard to believe, but I promise it’s true: the craziest, most eye-popping, jaw-dropping moves from Beast are yet to come. The next few months are going to be insane. We’ve pumped all the oxygen in. Now the fire is lit.

AIPT: X-Fan Natty from the Krakoa server wanted to know what it’s like to finally have what you’ve been building toward between Wolverine and Beast come to fruition. How’s the journey getting there been and which parts are you most proud of?

Ben: I just handed in X-Force #41, which is completely bonkers, and I’ll admit, I’ve been laughing maniacally at my desk lately.I’ll add that patience doesn’t come easy for comics fans. And I’m a patient writer. My comics runs tend to be novelistic. Some people have been begging and pitchforking for Beast to get his comeuppance, like, 20 issues ago. But you’ve got to earn out these big arcs. A hurried, truncated story isn’t going to satisfy anyone or wound minds and hearts or linger in the archives.

AIPT: Kieron Gillen will be tackling a Colossus-focused issue of Immortal X-Men. With Piotr joining X-Force, X-Fans KingdomX and William Rose were curious whether you and Kieron were collaborating on the story in any way, or if we can expect an Immortal X-Men/X-Force crossover of some kind.

Ben: Kieron and I have been talking, yes. That’s how the X-room works. We’re always on Slack or in a meeting, so that the individual stories play out smartly and cooperatively within the larger narrative.

And this week's eXclusive images:

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Death!

Good to see Death, wonder what his role is going forward in the SoS timeline because from the looks of it he doesn't appear to be on Storms Brotherhood team
    Emma is the opposite of a devourer
    She's A Lifebringer

Mighty Member

Is he blackmailing the x office or something?

Most successful books barely make it past 12 issues yet he’s complaining because it’s been over 40 issues and nothing has happened in XForce besides turning Beast into a mustache twirling villain?

Also, will he ever write any female or minority characters without turning them into simple stereotypes?

Ugh he needs to go. He’s been the worst part about this era.

Quote Originally Posted by Diammandis View Post
    Good to see Death, wonder what his role is going forward in the SoS timeline because from the looks of it he doesn't appear to be on Storms Brotherhood team
    I'm nervous for him and some of the others who haven't been shown as part of the future Brotherhood (Thunderbird, Sunspot, Nova.) Those looks like optic blasts they're dodging.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    https://aiptcomics.com/2023/01/30/x-...percy-x-force/

Props to our fellow posters who had their questions answered.

AIPT: OK, now we need to talk about Beast, of course. In X-Men Monday #90, way back in January 2021, you said, “I knew Beast’s ending before I ever started scripting my first issue.” Without spoiling too much, where would you say we are in your overall Hank story arc?

Ben: Look at Issue 1 of X-Force. The first scene — after the cold open — is Wolverine and Beast, tensely aligned, each offering a wildly different perspective on Krakoa. That’s the foundation we’ve been building off — and now they’re at the point of severance that’s been anticipated from the beginning.I know this is hard to believe, but I promise it’s true: the craziest, most eye-popping, jaw-dropping moves from Beast are yet to come. The next few months are going to be insane. We’ve pumped all the oxygen in. Now the fire is lit.

AIPT: X-Fan Natty from the Krakoa server wanted to know what it’s like to finally have what you’ve been building toward between Wolverine and Beast come to fruition. How’s the journey getting there been and which parts are you most proud of?

Ben: I just handed in X-Force #41, which is completely bonkers, and I’ll admit, I’ve been laughing maniacally at my desk lately.I’ll add that patience doesn’t come easy for comics fans. And I’m a patient writer. My comics runs tend to be novelistic. Some people have been begging and pitchforking for Beast to get his comeuppance, like, 20 issues ago. But you’ve got to earn out these big arcs. A hurried, truncated story isn’t going to satisfy anyone or wound minds and hearts or linger in the archives.

AIPT: Kieron Gillen will be tackling a Colossus-focused issue of Immortal X-Men. With Piotr joining X-Force, X-Fans KingdomX and William Rose were curious whether you and Kieron were collaborating on the story in any way, or if we can expect an Immortal X-Men/X-Force crossover of some kind.

Ben: Kieron and I have been talking, yes. That’s how the X-room works. We’re always on Slack or in a meeting, so that the individual stories play out smartly and cooperatively within the larger narrative.

And this week's eXclusive images:

That first pic looks like Logan fell asleep on Sage and then flew out of a window?

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post

Most successful books barely make it past 12 issues yet he’s complaining because it’s been over 40 issues and nothing has happened in XForce besides turning Beast into a mustache twirling villain?

Also, will he ever write any female or minority characters without turning them into simple stereotypes?

I'm interested in his Ghost Rider and Wolverine crossover. Sounds intriguing... Weapon Plus with an occult focused program? Makes sense.

But in the case of X-Force it needs to be handed off to someone else IMO. It's running out of steam, so hopefully when he's finally wrapped up his Beast, Peacock Man and Russia subplots someone else can step in and take it over. Fingers crossed.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Yeah this rubbed me the wrong way. Like your colleagues are writing full stories in 12 issues (sometimes six) and he’s talking about impatience. Between X-Force, Wolverine, and x-lives he’ll have written 100 issues soon.

Also he’s clearly not met manga fans before.

Ewing managed to cover far more ground in XMR, including working around crossover events, with satisfactory build up and payoff* in about a fourth of the issues Percy's had on X-Force.

*Some Storm fans might disagree as we did not get multiple issues dedicated to the epic god-level cosmic battle between Ororo and Vulcan; but I thought it was a good payoff myself
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Someone a few months ago joked that this was just the first third of Percy's 100 issue run of X-Force. I'm beginning to wonder if he was right. Is this just going to go on for years, with Beast simply being the most depraved monster in the Marvel Universe?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I'm interested in his Ghost Rider and Wolverine crossover. Sounds intriguing... Weapon Plus with an occult focused program? Makes sense.

But in the case of X-Force it needs to be handed off to someone else IMO. It's running out of steam, so hopefully when he's finally wrapped up his Beast, Peacock Man and Russia subplots someone else can step in and take it over. Fingers crossed.
    I'd love it if Victor LaValle took over X-Force and Benjamin Percy still writes Wolverine. Make X-Force a actual agency with more mutant characters.

I was PSYCHED for this X-Force installment when it was announced (first time in a long while I planned to actively buy X-Force) and I fell off pretty quick, sadly.
    I'm into slow burn stories, but this is significantly slower than this medium and its readership is accustomed to.

And it doubly bums me out that X-Factor only lasted 2 volumes (treasured volumes) with SO MUCH PROMISE for world expanding payoff and character exploration while this is.... going.

I hate to be THAT guy with all negative comments but WOOF, man. This is bonkers.

Ewing managed to cover far more ground in XMR, including working around crossover events, with satisfactory build up and payoff* in about a fourth of the issues Percy's had on X-Force.

*Some Storm fans might disagree as we did not get multiple issues dedicated to the epic god-level cosmic battle between Ororo and Vulcan; but I thought it was a good payoff myself
    Bless Ewing, forever and always, and his astounding heartfelt craftsmanship
    Last edited by Fokken; 01-30-2023 at 09:43 AM.

Percy said in this interview that he just finished writing issue 41... So perhaps he is continuing with the book for a grand finale in issue 50?

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    Percy said in this interview that he just finished writing issue 41... So perhaps he is continuing with the book for a grand finale in issue 50?
    Possibly but with Laura joining the cast with issue #39, he probably has a story for her that'll culminate in 2025.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I remember how much good will this book had originally, such a shame how far this title fell.