Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Single power psionics

It's quite common for psionic mutants to have more than one power, i.e. the classic telepathy/telekinetic combo. Sometimes they'll even have powers that have nothing to do with psionics like Emma having both telepathy and diamond skin or Monet being a flying brick with telepathy.

If you were to limit a psionic character to just one power, what would it be?

For me:

Emma Frost - Telepathy

Nate Grey - Telekinesis

Rachel Summers - Telekinesis

Jean Grey - Telepathy

Kwannon - Psionic weapon creation

Exodus - Teleportation

Monet - Telepathy

Why would I want all of those characters to be way less interesting?

I don't think they need to be limited, but I do like when one psionic power is their primary over another. Makes them more unique IMO. The list above is pretty good, and I like the nuance inherent in Psylocke's... in that her primary power is telepathy but also the fact that she focuses it into weapons that incapacitate her enemies. I'd imagine if they're not living beings, she focuses her TK instead into weapons that can slice and smash them (e.g., when dealing with Sentinels).

By the same token, I'd take Cable's new ability to "weaponize" his T-O using his psionic powers, specifically his telekinesis, and make that his primary power. So "psionic control of viral techno-organics" would be his. Or something along those lines. This is game-changing because then he doesn't even have to carry weapons... could go to a very streamlined look (i.e., no more pouches and holsters)... and when he needs a gun or a blade or armor he just "summons" it and makes it instantaneously from his T-O. That would be a very cool status quo change for him IMO.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by davetvs View Post
    It beat me, some people have some weird biase toward superpowers. In superhero comics. Also the idea a z proposed is kind odd considering that the various powers the psionic possess are at least in some cases related to their primary most powerful form.
    Monet being flying brick could be related to telekinesis (hey remeber when it was theorised the Superman's power were telekinetic/psi9nic related dto explain all the insane variety of them) also psionic like green Lantern powers are for most part limited by userimagination and willpower, base telepathy and base telekinesis are like learning how to throw a punch for a martial artist, a good start but hardly the end it all of hand to hand combat. Telekinesis lead to electro and pyrokinesis as well as molecular control(remember only perception and ,entla limit say that you cannot move mentally molecular structure, is not like Ellen lied vectors. Telekinetic force is literally will physical force applied DIRECTLY onto the desired object. Infact one could argue that a lot of super abilities do have actually a psionic nature, completely or in part. After all wingless flight is kind of an odd unexplainable power without no reasonable physical explanation outside magic/psionic, and lotmof very strong characters seem to lift ignoring momentum or the solidity of whatever surface they are on. Also elemental bodies are often theorised to be golem bodies inhabited by the psychic mind of the user (for rockslide is actually like this!)whose biological body mass is somewhere else(where?).
    Uhhh perhaps I let myself go were bit much, ehh year of GM heroes unlimited and mutant and mastermind game led me to have quite an maniacal obsession on describing superabilities and how , when why and where they work( and what happen on critical 1 and 20....hmm thisnsuggedt me a thread......)

You should check out the new 'Marvel Anatomy: A Scientific Study of the Superhuman' book that's out. I think you'd like it.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    You should check out the new 'Marvel Anatomy: A Scientific Study of the Superhuman' book that's out. I think you'd like it.
    Ohh I will check it, will make perfect companion with the physics of superheroes and philosophy of manga. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    It's quite common for psionic mutants to have more than one power, i.e. the classic telepathy/telekinetic combo. Sometimes they'll even have powers that have nothing to do with psionics like Emma having both telepathy and diamond skin or Monet being a flying brick with telepathy.

If you were to limit a psionic character to just one power, what would it be?

For me:

Emma Frost - Telepathy

Nate Grey - Telekinesis

Rachel Summers - Telekinesis

Jean Grey - Telepathy

Kwannon - Psionic weapon creation

Exodus - Teleportation

Monet - Telepathy
    You forgot Betsy Braddock…. Even though I would never want to limit their powers I claim PRECOGNITION for the purple haired british beauty
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Ditto. We've had Jean have a single psi power at various points in her history already (60s, X-Factor, Claremont's Revolution). That doesnt need to happen again

Karma. Screw the telepathy an mind control, I would limit her power to possession... but make it way more effective than when telepaths are doing it.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Karma. Screw the telepathy an mind control, I would limit her power to possession... but make it way more effective than when telepaths are doing it.
    whats the difference between mind control and posession?

I imagine mind control is telepathically compelling someone, possession would be acting through them. Like, if Karma lifts her arm up while she's possessing you, so do you, but if Jean Grey is mentally forcing you to lift your arm up, she can do whatever she wants do with her own arm.

I imagine mind control is telepathically compelling someone, possession would be acting through them. Like, if Karma lifts her arm up while she's possessing you, so do you, but if Jean Grey is mentally forcing you to lift your arm up, she can do whatever she wants do with her own arm.
    I dont see the difference. When Karma takes possession of someone, she doesnt physically move her body to get them to move as well. They arent treated like marionette puppets. From early on, Karma was able to act through others while still being able to act through herself

Telepathy mind control is like giving orders to someone's brain.
    Possession is more like puting a copy of your mind in someone else' body. Telepaths can do that too, but the mecanisms are probably not the same. I remember Xavier ordering Karma to control Magik, because he couldn't get pass her psychic defenses.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

I have to agree with the idea of defined limits being useful as part of character design... but... just one power? nah.

Like, Magma, is that a psionic ability? Well, it'd be 4 or so closely related powers if it is. But... if psionic... that's all she can do. She can cause earthquakes, but not levitate playing cards.

Karma though? A little telepathy, not a lot, but a strong affinity for mind control.

then you have guys like Exodus who have such a long list of psi powers it's hard to be sure how many powers he has.... like he can revive the dead. He did that to save Xavier when Bishop shot him.

Yeah, how's that for extreme acts of super-villainy?

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    I have to agree with the idea of defined limits being useful as part of character design... but... just one power? nah.

Like, Magma, is that a psionic ability? Well, it'd be 4 or so closely related powers if it is. But... if psionic... that's all she can do. She can cause earthquakes, but not levitate playing cards.

Karma though? A little telepathy, not a lot, but a strong affinity for mind control.

then you have guys like Exodus who have such a long list of psi powers it's hard to be sure how many powers he has.... like he can revive the dead. He did that to save Xavier when Bishop shot him.

Yeah, how's that for extreme acts of super-villainy?
    Exodus can not revive the dead. What he did was use his TK to repair Xavier's mind "atom by atom". Xavier wasnt dead but he was saved right as he was about to die