Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When did Parker start being written as kind?

I saw on another board that early Parker was kind of an ass. Around what year did that characterization change to the very kind characterization most know him as?

BANNED

Peter's jerkiness is still there sometimes, depends on how old-school the writer wants to be.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I saw on another board that early Parker was kind of an ass. Around what year did that characterization change to the very kind characterization most know him as?
    Okay, so I think what you’re referring to is Ditko’s influence. Some say (as in, not me) that with Ditko basically ghost-scripting the Lee/Ditko issues he inserted a lot of his own Ayn Rand-ian beliefs and made Peter a bit self-important and misanthropic. Then when Romita Sr took over penciling duties that stopped, and while I like the Lee/Romita issues, Peter’s voice loses a bit of its early bite and becomes a little more generic and even cheerful.

You may also be referring to recent runs. Some criticized Slott for making him jerky at times, he also was a bit of a nutcase in the mid 90s during the early part of the Clone Saga… but I’m assuming you mean the Lee/Ditko stuff.

I don't really know enough about Spider-Man to mean anything, per se. But I am assuming this change happened sometime in the Silver Age, Bronze Age at the latest, so I am likely de facto referring to Ditko.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't really know enough about Spider-Man to mean anything, per se. But I am assuming this change happened sometime in the Silver Age, Bronze Age at the latest, so I am likely de facto referring to Ditko.
    Yes, it sounds like it.

Smells to me like character development .

Early Spidey was an ass sometimes, but a reactive kind of way.

Like he could be friendly just fine with Liz and Betty if they treat him fine, but he was a douche with people like Flash and JJ since they were a constant pain in his ass, so once in a while he pranked them.

Although his friendship with Johnny started on the wrong foot, and ASM#8's backup story (Written by Kirby) has him crashing into Johnny's party, and when everyone tells him to leave, he decides to stay and be obnoxious, so that was a low point... Their team ups also made it clear they struggle to work together, but there was at least a mutual respect, somtimes...

But short version is, he was mostly a jerk to people who annoyed him first, otherwise he was surprisingly social and friendly, and once Romita took over in ASM#39, his jerk tendencies left with everyone else's, since about everyone who was a jerk jarringly becomes nicer (Although Flash goes back to being a douche quickly).

It's less noticeable with Gwen weirdly enough, she was a bitch, but was interested in getting closer with Peter (While also bullying him if she got annoyed with him, she was basically a tsundere, and a pretty bitchy one), once everyone stopped being jerks, she had less reasons to be a jerk to him.

Harry also suddenly has daddy issues, when ASM#37 and #38 implies they have an alright relationship (Although one where Norman is still a douche lol).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Astonishing Member

To me, it was when he broke up with Betty. He accepted that thry weren’t going to last in the long term and that he shouldn’t stay with her just to spite Leeds.

Astonishing Member

It was during the Romita era when he made friends.

BANNED

If we consider what Peter went through thanks to Flash and other bullies, I would say he was pretty soft.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    If we consider what Peter went through thanks to Flash and other bullies, I would say he was pretty soft.
    Uh-huh. Kind of dodged a bullet there, insofar as him taking up the philosophy that "living well is the best revenge."
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Uh-huh. Kind of dodged a bullet there, insofar as him taking up the philosophy that "living well is the best revenge."
    Spidey is terrible at revenge then.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

This is an interesting question.

When did he do something unusually kind?

In his early appearances, he's fighting bad guys to sell their photos or out of curiosity. An interesting dynamic is that things are initially pretty easy for him. It's why he gets so shaken up when Doctor Octopus defeats him in the third issue.

One of my favorite panels ever is from Amazing Spider-Man #5 when he learns that Flash Thompson is in danger, and gloats about it, before deciding to go and save Flash from Doctor Doom.

In Amazing Spider-Man #6, he keeps the Lizard's secret identity and that costs him a bit, although he wasn't aware that would happen.

In Amazing Spider-Man #7, he saves Jonah from the Vulture, although that's more brave than kind.

He's consistently worried about Aunt May's health, or problems with his friends, but that's different from kindness to someone outside of friends and family.

A big moment that comes to mind is keeping Hobie Brown's secret in Amazing Spider-Man #79 or the Hulk's secret in the third annual, but I'm sure there was earlier stuff.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I feel like that’s a weak argument and honestly makes me question whether people actually care if Peter is a hero not.

"He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy