Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Examples of when the supporting Female Character steals the Thunder

I was watching a re-run of Friends and it struck me as odd, How I now see the show differently especially with the character of Rachael.

As a kid, Friends always had this habbit of pushing Jennifer Aniston/Rachel as the ''pretty girl'' or the girl who was to be desired by men, the girl that is meant to have the complete package. However the issue is that Monica seems more beautiful with a more caring personality than Rachael and it may have made more sense if the show wrote the girls as equals than Monica always been insecure and jealous of Rachel.

Are there any other tv shows or movies you have watched that you have ended up favouring the second billed or other female character over the main lead, in the aspect of

-Charisma

- Beauty

- Personality

- Likeability

- Screen Presence

Personality despite the push from the writers to maintain a hierarchy of another female lead. Here are some examples I can think off.

Saved by the Bell

Lisa Turtle>>>Kelly Kepowski. Zack should have ended up with Lisa and we should have gotten more romantic stories of Lisa then the Zack and Kelly drama.

Gossip Girl

Leighton Meester (Blair) >>> Blake Lively (Serena)

Sex and the City

Kristen Davies and Kim Cratell >>> Sarah Jessica Parker.
    Last edited by Fridays; 01-30-2023 at 06:31 PM. Reason: wrong spelling of the word still. it should be steal

Extraordinary Member

Designing Women

Suzanne and Charlene >>>>>> Julia

Alice

Flo >>>>>>>>>>>>> Alice

Will And Grace

Karen >>>>>>>>>>>> Grace
    Last edited by caj; 01-30-2023 at 12:44 PM.

Invincible Member

The first thing I thought of was Florence Pugh stealing the show in the Black Widow movie.

Berta(Conchata Ferrell, RIP) and Rose (Melanie Lynskey) in 2 and a Half Men.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    The first thing I thought of was Florence Pugh stealing the show in the Black Widow movie.
    Florence was a breath of fresh air in Black Widow. Scarlet Johansson had been playing the role for a long while, so there is a strong argument the character was stale by then.

I did enjoy Florence more in the movie than Black Widow. If she had been in the captain marvel movie, Brie Larson would have been wiped out in her own film as Florence would have stolen all the Thunder from Brie Larson.

BANNED

Desperate Housewives

In the department of beauty, I would give Teri Hatcher the title but the other actresses ended up stealing the thunder from Teri, who when the show started was the only actress that was A List.

Felicity Huffman and Marcia Cross who played Lynette and Brie were superior actresses to Teri Hatcher, so they were getting huge recognition for their acting talent.

Eva Longoria became a sex symbol playing Gabby Solis and that gave her huge fame in the media.

Terri started as the most famous actress on the show but by the time the show ended, the other actresses had risen to A-List status that could rival Teri, not to mention Susan Mayer was the most annoying housewives to fans, which didn't help Teri Hatcher's popularity.

Peggy Carter in Captain America the First Avenger.

Colleen Wing in Iron Fist.

Gray's Anatomy

Merideth Gray (Ellen Pompeo) is the main character with all the romance and beauty, and dates with McDreamy, but I feel she got overshadowed by Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh). In fact Addison got a fairly successful spinoff, in particular probably because she was taking the limelight.

You could make the same arguments about Izzie or Christina, possibly, but I wouldn't. The show was full of hotties.

I know Kate Walsh came back to the show in 2022, but I'm mainly talking about the first few seasons which were the only good ones that I liked and which established the show.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-30-2023 at 02:56 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Peggy Carter in Captain America the First Avenger.

Colleen Wing in Iron Fist.
    I am pretty sure that a vase, or rock could have stood out in Iron Fist.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Gray's Anatomy

Merideth Gray (Ellen Pompeo) is the main character with all the romance and beauty, and dates with McDreamy, but I feel she got overshadowed by Addison Montgomery (Kate Walsh). In fact Addison got a fairly successful spinoff, in particular probably because she was taking the limelight.

You could make the same arguments about Izzie or Christina, possibly, but I wouldn't. The show was full of hotties.

I know Kate Walsh came back to the show in 2022, but I'm mainly talking about the first few seasons which were the only good ones that I liked and which established the show.
    I never saw Grey's Anatomy but it felt as if Katherine Heigl became the breakout star of that series if we are going by media attention.

Katherine for a while even became a huge movie star with films like Knocked Up and 27 dresses.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Is it really “stealing the show” when that was the whole point. Everyone knew going in that it was Scarlet’s last time playing Black Widow. Marvel was setting up Florence to be the new Black Widow going forward. It was by design and if it didn’t work they would have needed to look for a new Black Widow.

Luckily it worked as intended.

Claire Temple in the Netflix Marvel shows.

Misty Knight in Luke Cage.

I Enjoyed Amy more in Big Bang Theory then Penny.

For one she had more growth as a character going from a Sheldon clone to having a big personality and interacting well with every member of the cast. It can be said in the later seasons she stole the scenes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Is it really “stealing the show” when that was the whole point. Everyone knew going in that it was Scarlet’s last time playing Black Widow. Marvel was setting up Florence to be the new Black Widow going forward. It was by design and if it didn’t work they would have needed to look for a new Black Widow.

Luckily it worked as intended.
    Maybe? But I don't know if that was the whole point...I think initially it was meant to be a star vehicle for the Black Widow character as played by Scarlet regardless of the fact that this was going to be her last Marvel film for awhile. I mean, it's no secret that a lot of people's favorites parts were stuff that wasn't in the original script. It was stuff the actors came up with and was written in during production.

Bailey Quarters (aka Mary Ann 2.0)

I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?