Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Yes she was in them but she was part of a large cast and they aren’t remembered because of her. Aniston played the lead role or female lead in many of her movies.
    But I remember the Scream movies. I cant tell you a Jennifer Aniston movie if I tried. Well maybe 1. The 1 where Adam Sandler played the plastic surgeon and she was his nurse or something? I cant name the movie but that is the only one I remember.

Her movies were pretty forgettable.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    But I remember the Scream movies. I cant tell you a Jennifer Aniston movie if I tried. Well maybe 1. The 1 where Adam Sandler played the plastic surgeon and she was his nurse or something? I cant name the movie but that is the only one I remember.

Hey, she was in Leprechaun, oh wait that was before friends lol

Incredible Member

Really? Well let me help. The one with Adam Sandler was Just Go With It (2011).

Others you may have heard about.

The Iron Giant (1999) She voiced the mom

Office Space (1999)

Bruce Almighty (2003)

The Break-Up (2005)

Marley & Me (2008)

Horrible Bosses (2011)

We’re the Millers (2013)

I’m sure you’ve heard of at least a few of those.

Extraordinary Member

There was a time when I would've said:

Jackie >>>>Roseanne on Rosanne

But after seeing The Connors, I punch myself in the face for ever thinking that. Bring back Roseanne!!!

Retired

In terms of FRIENDS, I always saw it as an ensemble show where all six actors had equal weight and no one was the star. Retroactively, people have tried to choose which one is the star.

When it started, the most recognizable actor was Lisa Kudrow. She had been on MAD ABOUT YOU, playing the annoying waitress--Ursula. And I thought maybe the producers had seen her work and were building the show around her star power. She's still my favourite of the six.

Courteney Cox was mainly known for having been in a Bruce Springsteen video. David Schwimmer was one of those guys you saw in a lot of bit parts, but you didn't know who he was. The other three were unknowns (to me).

But in terms of the "All About Eve" syndrome there are two vintage examples I can think of.

On T.V., Cybill Shepherd had her own sitcom--CYBILL (1995-1998)--with her as the star. Christine Baranski played a supporting character on that show. However, Baranski got a lot of attention for that role. I remember reading that Shepherd was not too happy that the spotlight was falling on that other woman and not on herself.

In movies, the example I recall is SWING SHIFT (1984) starring Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell. The supporting female actor who got all the attention for that movie was Christine Lahti. And there also, I read that Hawn was upset she'd been upstaged by Lahti.

I'm not saying that what I read was true, but this was the hot goss in the papers at the time.

Astonishing Member

Emma Peel in the Avengers (not that Avengers). One of the best and most attractive cat suited martial artists. She was the show.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Courteney Cox was mainly known for having been in a Bruce Springsteen video.
    She also appeared for two seasons as Alex's (Michael J. Fox) girlfriend on Family Ties, which was kind of a big deal at the time.

But I agree she wasn't a huge star when Friends began.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    She also appeared for two seasons as Alex's (Michael J. Fox) girlfriend on Family Ties, which was kind of a big deal at the time.

But I agree she wasn't a huge star when Friends began.
    Now that you mention it, I remember that. But it was completely out of my mind when I wrote my previous post. I remember Geena Davis--not a girl friend as much as Alex might have fantasized about her--and, of course, Tracy Pollan.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Smith View Post
    Emma Peel in the Avengers (not that Avengers). One of the best and most attractive cat suited martial artists. She was the show.
    I am a big Cathy Gale fan and I agree with this.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Quote Originally Posted by HollowSage View Post
    Really? Well let me help. The one with Adam Sandler was Just Go With It (2011).

Others you may have heard about.

The Iron Giant (1999) She voiced the mom

Office Space (1999)

Bruce Almighty (2003)

The Break-Up (2005)

Marley & Me (2008)

Horrible Bosses (2011)

We’re the Millers (2013)

I’m sure you’ve heard of at least a few of those.
    I have heard of them. But other then Office Space I did not care for them. So they were forgettable to me.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Incredible Member

I have heard of them. But other then Office Space I did not care for them. So they were forgettable to me.
    That’s fine but your personal taste in movies wasn’t really the point.

Courtney Cox Did the Scream movies. I would say those movies are way more remembered than any movie Aniston was in.
    You seemed to be making a broader statement about people in general remembering those movies. However if you were only talking about yourself then I apologize for the confusion.

Although calling The Iron Giant forgettable is blasphemy so I suggest we end this dialogue here.

Yes Aniston has done more movies. But a lot of them are not as rememberable as Scream. Most people will say they remember Scream more then Marley and Me, or Horrible Bosses and The break up.

But i guess I missed the point of the statement and we are making two separate points.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Dallas was originally supposed to feature Bobby and Pam - and for as long as she was on the show, Pam was a main character.
    But according to Linda Gray, her character didn't even have a name for the first episode before they named her Sue Ellen. She was just supposed to be 'JR's wife'.
    However, as time went on, I think Sue Ellen became the more interesting character with the better storylines than Pam. And that was due to how great Linda Gray was as an actress.
    And then there's the fact that she got to play off JR all the time. If Bobby was originally meant to be the lead, that definitely changed once they realized the villain was the most interesting character and shifted focus. Sue Ellen certainly benefitted from that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Courteney Cox was mainly known for having been in a Bruce Springsteen video.
    It's been mentioned, but yeah - Cox being Alex's regular girlfriend on "Family Ties" was big for her. She'd also just been in "Ace Ventura" which I think opened earlier the same year "Friends" debuted.

Not a female, but the ultimate was Urkel they literally retooled Family Matters around him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Not a female, but the ultimate was Urkel they literally retooled Family Matters around him.
    Very similar to Fonzie in Happy Days. Again though, not a woman.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?