Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default regarding how current Mr. Sinister is written

Just curious, what is everyone's consensus of how Mr. Sinister has been written over the last few years, including now? I know Kieron Gillen kind of has a stranglehold on the character going back a long time now. I mean there is no doubt this current characterization of the character is funny, arrogant to the point of comedic, and flamboyant. It is enjoyable, yet I can't help but want to see more of the older Mr. Sinister. To this day I really REALLY enjoyed Mike Carey's short interpretation of the character. I'm talking the characterization where he captured Xavier and was playing mind games with him. To me Sinister always played better as this sort of very very cruel demon that literally just popped out of the shadows from time to time just to mess with people. He's been much more intimidating then compared to what he is now. Although now, he definitely seems like such a force in his ability to manipulate things and plan for contingencies. If he was good with that stuff 20 years ago, he's like tripled his ability to about godhood with that at this point.

Still I remember the 90's cartoon as well and he just always seemed more memorable for those reasons I stated. It's almost like the writer's wanted to infuse a heavy dose of the Joker in Mr. Sinister, and this is what we have now. Funny thing is, I feel bad about it, but I haven't even read the original Inferno event yet. The omnibus always eluded me, but I plan on reading it digitally on the Marvel website real soon. I enjoyed his characterizations in other arcs like X-Cutioner's song and Messiah Complex though.

**Also, does anyone know what settings to change so that if anyone responds to a post you create, that you get a notification in your email? This seems like a common thing in most settings, but I can't find it here. does it exist?

I believe you gotta click on Thread Tools, click Subscribe to this Thread, and select the type of notifications you want to receive.

As for Sinny, I think he's fun. He gives Yuri from ARC-V vibes, and I love that. But I prefer Wells' take on him to Gillen's. He nailed the campy comedy without being too annoying, and characters bounce off him better.
    Last edited by Rift; 01-31-2023 at 08:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

BANNED

He is the X-Men's version of Batsy-Joker now who prepares for everything and he is almost nigh unbeatable unless he wants himself to be captured and he also jokes. He seems pretty accurate as i describe. He seems to be the only big bad for x-writers now. I hope this changes soon.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight85 View Post
    Just curious, what is everyone's consensus of how Mr. Sinister has been written over the last few years, including now? I know Kieron Gillen kind of has a stranglehold on the character going back a long time now. I mean there is no doubt this current characterization of the character is funny, arrogant to the point of comedic, and flamboyant. It is enjoyable, yet I can't help but want to see more of the older Mr. Sinister. To this day I really REALLY enjoyed Mike Carey's short interpretation of the character. I'm talking the characterization where he captured Xavier and was playing mind games with him. To me Sinister always played better as this sort of very very cruel demon that literally just popped out of the shadows from time to time just to mess with people. He's been much more intimidating then compared to what he is now. Although now, he definitely seems like such a force in his ability to manipulate things and plan for contingencies. If he was good with that stuff 20 years ago, he's like tripled his ability to about godhood with that at this point.

100% word-for-word. Sinister used to terrify me (Interestingly, not so much Claremont's version, but the early to mid 90s version) - He was creepy, enigmatic and unpredictable. Now - the current Gillen version is hilarious, and exudes a personality / voice we didn't know we needed. But you can't compare the two.

Having said that, was there any explanation for the sudden campy personality transplant? Did it have anything to do with that confusing Miss Sinister storyline?
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

I lke Gillen's take on Sinister. The slight change in personality and constant quipping was explained as an artificial persona to make him appear more charming and less dangerous. I tend to agree Gillen can take it a bit too far though.
    I think Hickman's version was more of a mix between classic and victorian Essex. Wells did pretty well to make him look very horrible while still making him fun to read.
    I admit I was hoping he would take a far backseat after SoS so we'll se...

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I believe you gotta click on Thread Tools, click Subscribe to this Thread, and select the type of notifications you want to receive.

As for Sinny, I think he's fun. He gives Yuri from ARC-V vibes, and I love that. But I prefer Wells' take on him to Gillen's. He nailed the campy comedy without being too annoying, and characters bounce off him better.

Thank you for the settings, I just did that so hopefully it works. Too bad it isn't universal for any topic you take part in, but at least it's something.

Yea I've been like how Wells handles him in Hellions. Pretty much just as you described. I still prefer the older Sinister though, but it's a better middle ground.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by darkknight85 View Post
    just curious, what is everyone's consensus of how mr. Sinister has been written over the last few years, including now? I know kieron gillen kind of has a stranglehold on the character going back a long time now. I mean there is no doubt this current characterization of the character is funny, arrogant to the point of comedic, and flamboyant. It is enjoyable, yet i can't help but want to see more of the older mr. Sinister. To this day i really really enjoyed mike carey's short interpretation of the character. I'm talking the characterization where he captured xavier and was playing mind games with him. To me sinister always played better as this sort of very very cruel demon that literally just popped out of the shadows from time to time just to mess with people. He's been much more intimidating then compared to what he is now. Although now, he definitely seems like such a force in his ability to manipulate things and plan for contingencies. If he was good with that stuff 20 years ago, he's like tripled his ability to about godhood with that at this point.

Still i remember the 90's cartoon as well and he just always seemed more memorable for those reasons i stated. It's almost like the writer's wanted to infuse a heavy dose of the joker in mr. Sinister, and this is what we have now. Funny thing is, i feel bad about it, but i haven't even read the original inferno event yet. The omnibus always eluded me, but i plan on reading it digitally on the marvel website real soon. i enjoyed his characterizations in other arcs like x-cutioner's song and messiah complex though.

**also, does anyone know what settings to change so that if anyone responds to a post you create, that you get a notification in your email? This seems like a common thing in most settings, but i can't find it here. Does it exist?
    i second that!
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    100% word-for-word. Sinister used to terrify me (Interestingly, not so much Claremont's version, but the early to mid 90s version) - He was creepy, enigmatic and unpredictable. Now - the current Gillen version is hilarious, and exudes a personality / voice we didn't know we needed. But you can't compare the two.

Having said that, was there any explanation for the sudden campy personality transplant? Did it have anything to do with that confusing Miss Sinister storyline?

I never got a chance to finish the Carey arc and Miss Sinister arc, so I'm not sure. But yes the 90's Sinister is the one I'm most fond of. It's not that the current one is flat out terrible, but in one way it knocks down some things that were unique to him as a villain, but in other ways it elevates him differently. So it's a strange give and take that they've gone with.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    I lke Gillen's take on Sinister. The slight change in personality and constant quipping was explained as an artificial persona to make him appear more charming and less dangerous. I tend to agree Gillen can take it a bit too far though.
    I think Hickman's version was more of a mix between classic and victorian Essex. Wells did pretty well to make him look very horrible while still making him fun to read.
    I admit I was hoping he would take a far backseat after SoS so we'll se...

I did read Gillen's run around 2012 and I know Sinister had strong parts in that run. I'm guessing that was setup then and I must not have remembered it. I guess it explains it a little. Still, I'm hoping the pendulum finally swings back the other way at some point.

BANNED

Sinister was at large by the end of Gillen's run. I am pretty sure he will come out on top after Fall of X if Gillen writes the event. Even if he is apparently got defeated(which happen during 2012). Man i miss those Bastion and Nimrod days.

This is the most I’ve enjoyed Sinister, I personally can’t see him as successful in any other form now

What helps is that he’s almost always been written well in this era - which can’t be said for previous iterations imo

Yeah, he’s jokey, not serious, and very campy, but Gillen’s, Hickman, and Wells all used him so well that I think they should carry on with it. His appearances in Hellions, Immortal X-Men, AXE, and now Sins of Sinister (so far) have all been top notch

Fantastic Member

I love it much better than past versions of the character esp from the 90s he's sassy fun and well Sinister. Its like if Paul Lynde was a evil geneticist

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    This is the most I’ve enjoyed Sinister, I personally can’t see him as successful in any other form now

What helps is that he’s almost always been written well in this era - which can’t be said for previous iterations imo

Yeah, he’s jokey, not serious, and very campy, but Gillen’s, Hickman, and Wells all used him so well that I think they should carry on with it. His appearances in Hellions, Immortal X-Men, AXE, and now Sins of Sinister (so far) have all been top notch

I won't argue with you there on how successful this incarnation as been. He's had a good string of victories and as Vishop said right above you, even when he loses, it's not really as black and white as it seems. He somehow walks away in the clear or with something gained. Which I do like these things with his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post

Same

I read his voice as by Tim Curry on RHPS!
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight85 View Post
    I won't argue with you there on how successful this incarnation as been. He's had a good string of victories and as Vishop said right above you, even when he loses, it's not really as black and white as it seems. He somehow walks away in the clear or with something gained. Which I do like these things with his character.
    Has Sinister ever really lost anyways ? Maybe in Inferno...

I'll admit I actually can't remember much of Sinister before Gillen. I remember him in Inferno, then in like an appearance in Excalibur, a shadowy one in the Gambit/Morlock origin, one really nice one shot with him and Cyclops in Alaska...
    What would you say is the quintessential Sinister story ?
    Is this becoming the Appreciation thread ?