Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    DCU's Wonder Woman TV Series Could Take a Page from House of the Dragon

https://www.cbr.com/dcu-wonder-woman...-dragon-nubia/
    I guess no one told cbr that Themyscira has been racially diverse since the Perez days and Nubia has been a prominent character since before House of the Dragon.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

After all, Wonder Woman has been a predominately white story, per decades of comics and even what Zack Snyder did.
    Lol that's embarrassing. Even Snyders Amazons were diverse.

Next time they'll say WW should take notes from House of the Dragon on how to portray women and gay people

Next they're going to claim there are no gay Amazons.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Next time they'll say WW should take notes from House of the Dragon on how to portray women and gay people
    Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Next they're going to claim there are no gay Amazons.

Well, it would be nice to have more visibly gay or bisexual Amazons. Having openly gay and bisexual characters is one advantage House of the Dragons and even Game of Thrones would have over Wonder Woman at this point in all honesty.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well, it would be nice to have more visibly gay or bisexual Amazons. Having openly gay and bisexual characters is one advantage House of the Dragons and even Game of Thrones would have over Wonder Woman at this point in all honesty.
    That's just the general nature of shows vs comic books. Especially one that is focusing solely on the Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    DCU's Wonder Woman TV Series Could Take a Page from House of the Dragon

https://www.cbr.com/dcu-wonder-woman...-dragon-nubia/
    This is foolishness on many levels, but mostly I'm scratching my head over why or how a society that's been isolated since the days of ancient Greece would have anything resembling the modern American concept of race.

Also the fact that Themyscirans are diverse but have no concept of race or ethnicity is part of what makes them interesting, and it's something that was addressed as far back as Perez:

Fortunately I doubt James Gunn will make racist Amazons a plot point when he's cited Historia, Perez's run, Jimenez's run, and The Circle as reference points. But I do hope they show openly queer Amazons and I think that's a major benefit of starting with an HBO Max series - they can establish that the Amazons are almost all gay/bi before they have to worry about selling the movie overseas.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I'm excited. Scared. Optimistic. Pessimistic.
    I only have the "scared" and "pessimistic" part. =\

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Gunn liked a tweet recommending these comics as inspiration for Paradise Lost:

- Historia
    - Perez’s run
    - Paradise Lost (Jimenez)
    - The Circle

We don’t have much to go off of at the moment but that’s definitely reassuring.
    Thank you, this does give me a bit of hope to hold on to. =)

Speaking of "Historia," how many issues is it? I saw it on Amazon, but don't know what to buy. There's a hardcover coming in June, iirc; will that contain all of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Thank you, this does give me a bit of hope to hold on to. =)
    Here's another bit of reassurance:

screenshot_2398.jpg

Verrrrrry interesting...Gail's teased that she's been working on a huge non-comics WW project that's "something different" and Paradise Lost certainly fits the bill, though it's probably too early for them to have script drafts ready. Maybe she heard it from James Gunn since they're friends? Either way sounds like the clay origin's back on the menu

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    Speaking of "Historia," how many issues is it? I saw it on Amazon, but don't know what to buy. There's a hardcover coming in June, iirc; will that contain all of it?
    It's 3 issues (at least as of now - Kelly Sue DeConnick pitched 9 issues but the remaining 6 depend on sales), though issue 1 in particular is pretty difficult to find in print. The hardcover will have all of it so if you're not itching to read it ASAP I'd pre-order that.

And you're in for such a treat! I think it's the best WW(-adjacent) story ever written and a lot of people agree with me.

Fantastic Member

Screenrant: James Gunn's DCU Plans Are More Bad News For Wonder Woman's Future

https://screenrant.com/wonder-woman-...lost-show-bad/

Although the announcement of Paradise Lost hints at Wonder Woman's DCU future, it also shows that the franchise is prioritizing the island of Themyscira ahead of the character of Diana Prince. Gunn's plans may very well come out of a genuine desire to adapt the story at hand, but it also very much feels like a way to fill the Wonder Woman-sized hole in his DCU plan. The setting of Paradise Lost seems tailor-made to allow DC to explore Themyscira and the Amazons who live there in an age where they don't have to worry about Diana Prince at all, taking place in the turbulent years before her birth.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Yes Screenrant, because it makes total sense for the ongoing new cinematic universe to focus only on the Amazons indefinitely with not plans for Princess Diana (NOT "Diana Prince")

Did people just wake up one day and conclude the Amazons aren't the most significant part of Diana's story?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Paradise Lost could turn out to be a stealth origin story for the new Diana, she can be born (from clay ) at the end of the last episode and skip in present day with her as Wonder Woman. They are doing SM: Legacy to introduce their new Superman, Brave and the Bold for the new Batman, Lanterns will introduce Hal and John... put all them together and do a JL movie right after.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes Screenrant, because it makes total sense for the ongoing new cinematic universe to focus only on the Amazons indefinitely with not plans for Princess Diana (NOT "Diana Prince")

Did people just wake up one day and conclude the Amazons aren't the most significant part of Diana's story?
    Exactly. The fact that they're focusing so much on the Amazons is a sign that they do understand Diana and want to prioritize her. There's a reason why the most celebrated story in WW's history (Perez's Gods and Mortals) starts with an entire issue about Amazon lore - it establishes the mythic scale, stakes, and thematic foundations of the character.

And they're not proposing a show with a shoestring budget that coasts on a superhero IP like Krypton, Gotham, or Pennyworth. They're making a Game of Thrones-scale epic fantasy series that's VERY much a risk (a lot of money/creative effort required, no major male characters, if done correctly lots of overt feminist themes and queer rep) just to establish why Diana and her world matter. Why would you rather they skip to Steve Trevor and bog-standard superheroics that ignore the things that make her special?

(Also as I've said before I suspect they have a WW project in the first wave that they plan to announce after Gal Gadot's final appearance in The Flash, but I'll be happy either way)

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Paradise Lost could turn out to be a stealth origin story for the new Diana, she can be born (from clay ) at the end of the last episode and skip in present day with her as Wonder Woman. They are doing SM: Legacy to introduce their new Superman, Brave and the Bold for the new Batman, Lanterns will introduce Hal and John... put all them together and do a JL movie right after.
    I have been saying this for a while! I feel that the HBO MAX Themyscira show will indeed lead directly to Diana's introduction into the DCEU. Maybe the core roster of the DCU's JL will be Diana, Batman, Superman, Supergirl, one of the GLs and Booster Gold (?)... Hopefully they will later introduce Vixen, Aquaman, and Zatanna...

I'm not quite ready to get my hopes high on the clay origin being used but I think it could still be a good show even if it isn't.