Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Incredible Member Geraldofrivia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    The success of Barbie bodes well for other female led franchises, including WW. Greta Gerwig as the director for the next WW movie?

Wonder Woman was already a big success. I dont understand why people is looking for top female director to direct a female franchise. It frankly sexist. They should give it to somone who has passion for the character and can direct a CGI heavy action movie. Generic superhero movies are flopping. While i liked Barbie, especially the femnism and Ken, nothing in that movie suggest she will be good for Wonder woman.

When is this supposed to air again? Is it in 2024 or 2025? I hope it is 2024.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Hah. No.

We know that Creature Commandos is currently in production which matches this slate that shows it is coming out first. The most optimistic estimate is *maybe* 2027. Assuming they fast track everything and have three of these going per year.

More realistically assuming it ever does come out, I see it being a 2029 release. Its the second to last project announced on this nine project slate. Only one of the six preceeding it is even in production right now. Superman Legacy isn't even filming yet. We don't even know if they even shopped around for scripts for any of the later stuff yet.
    Last edited by Fuzzy Mittens; 07-31-2023 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Wonder Woman was already a big success. I dont understand why people is looking for top female director to direct a female franchise. It frankly sexist. They should give it to somone who has passion for the character and can direct a CGI heavy action movie. Generic superhero movies are flopping. While i liked Barbie, especially the femnism and Ken, nothing in that movie suggest she will be good for Wonder woman.
    The issue is that they're not putting women at the helm of male-led films, and I'd rather silo female directors into telling women's stories than lock them out entirely. But that aside, a man directing Wonder Woman would be like a white person directing Black Panther - womanhood is SO thematically central to the character and her lore (like Blackness is for BP), and it's important for a woman to tell that story. I don't think the same holds true for something like Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow.

In terms of Greta Gerwig, I've actually been curious about what she'd would do with the Amazons since Little Women. It's VERY on brand for her - she's all about women's solidarity and sisterhood, the complexities of mother-daughter relationships, big female ensemble casts, and anti-patriarchal themes, plus now with Barbie she's even got experience creating a magical separatist matriarchy with really vibrant, imaginative production/costume design. And Patty Jenkins hadn't done any action direction before the first WW film so that isn't a dealbreaker (can't say the same for WW84 but hey...).

My bigger concern with Greta Gerwig is that I'm a huge fan of her films but I really don't want her to get sucked into the franchise machine.

I'm still into the Gina Prince-Bythewood idea that was floating around though. I thought The Woman King's script left a bit to be desired but the action, performances, visuals, and production design were extraordinary and exactly the kind of thing a WW film calls for.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    We know that Creature Commandos is currently in production which matches this slate that shows it is coming out first. The most optimistic estimate is *maybe* 2027. Assuming they fast track everything and have three of these going per year.

More realistically assuming it ever does come out, I see it being a 2029 release. Its the second to last project announced on this nine project slate. Only one of the six preceeding it is even in production right now. Superman Legacy isn't even filming yet. We don't even know if they even shopped around for scripts for any of the later stuff yet.
    With the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes I think things will get pushed out even more. But I don't actually think anything after Waller in that slate is gonna happen. A rebooted WW film by 2029 is far more likely than Paradise Lost, Booster Gold, or Swamp Thing actually happening IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    Hah. No.

WOW, 2027 to 2029 or later!

Please wake me when this premieres!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    The issue is that they're not putting women at the helm of male-led films, and I'd rather silo female directors into telling women's stories than lock them out entirely. But that aside, a man directing Wonder Woman would be like a white person directing Black Panther - womanhood is SO thematically central to the character and her lore (like Blackness is for BP), and it's important for a woman to tell that story. I don't think the same holds true for something like Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow.
    You don't actually believe that do you? I mean we have read how women have written Diana in the comics. Being a specific race/gender/sex/sexuallity etc... is a factor but It shouldn't be a primary reason to hire someone to write/direct a movie. Several of said writers have spoken about the box that they hate being put into because that very logic.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post

In terms of Greta Gerwig, I've actually been curious about what she'd would do with the Amazons since Little Women. It's VERY on brand for her - she's all about women's solidarity and sisterhood, the complexities of mother-daughter relationships, big female ensemble casts, and anti-patriarchal themes, plus now with Barbie she's even got experience creating a magical separatist matriarchy with really vibrant, imaginative production/costume design. And Patty Jenkins hadn't done any action direction before the first WW film so that isn't a dealbreaker (can't say the same for WW84 but hey...).

My bigger concern with Greta Gerwig is that I'm a huge fan of her films but I really don't want her to get sucked into the franchise machine.

I'm still into the Gina Prince-Bythewood idea that was floating around though. I thought The Woman King's script left a bit to be desired but the action, performances, visuals, and production design were extraordinary and exactly the kind of thing a WW film calls for.

With the WGA and SAG-AFTRA strikes I think things will get pushed out even more. But I don't actually think anything after Waller in that slate is gonna happen. A rebooted WW film by 2029 is far more likely than Paradise Lost, Booster Gold, or Swamp Thing actually happening IMHO.
    Lol what is this take.

A woman doesn't have to direct WW. We need to break the mold of "women cant direct male superhero films and vice versa"

We've seen men ger the character. Hell a man wrote the script for the WW movie lol.

And by your take only a black male could direct Black Panther and he couldn't direct the sequel since it had a female black panther

I am glad that Patty Jenkins directed WW, and that other female directors are being given the chance to direct blockbusters (Nia Dacosta, Chloe Zhao, Cathy Yan, et al), chances that women are rarely given in white-male-dominated Hollywood. Comic book films have been at the forefront of doing this, and while it is true that you don't have to be a woman or a POC to direct female-centered or POC-centered films, the playing field is so unbalanced when it comes to non-white males directing big-budget blockbusters, that I don't mind this happening.

I don't think it is necessary for a woman to direct a Wonder Woman movie. That said, I believe bardkeep's argument is that since women aren't getting the chance to direct male superheroes as often as their male counterparts, we might as well give them the option of directing superhero films led by women. Of course, the ideal is that anyone gets a chance to direct any superhero as long as they have the skill and understanding.

I haven't seen much of Greta Gerwig's work but from what I've heard, she often tackles themes that would be relevant to Wonder Woman. Same with Gina Prince-Bythewood. Them being women is a bonus.

DC would be lucky to have Greta Gerwig.

But personally, there's one director people don't talk about enough. Ana Lilly Amirpour
    She already directs superhero movies of shoestring budget and you guys should watch A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night which is about a female vampire in Iran

She also directed these episodes (and other ambitious movies)

- 1 episode of Legion (SHE ALREADY DIRECTED A SUPERHERO SHOW)

- 2 episodes of the new The Twilight Zone

- 1 episode of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    - 1 episode of Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities
    OMG, she directed that one episode with the woman who thought of herself as ugly and who starts using this "miracle lotion" that will supposedly make her beautiful!!! That was one heck of a creepy episode.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    OMG, she directed that one episode with the woman who thought of herself as ugly and who starts using this "miracle lotion" that will supposedly make her beautiful!!! That was one heck of a creepy episode.
    That was by far my favorite episode of that show.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    That was by far my favorite episode of that show.
    Did you notice that in the last scene of the episode (when the protagonist returns to work after being "turned" beautiful) the musical score seems to sample Death Becomes Her's main musical theme? Quite appropriate if you ask me. I remember thinking at first "why does the music reminds me so much of something I've heard before?" and then I realized that it was indeed an homage to the Meryl Streep/Goldie Hawn cult film...

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldofrivia View Post
    Gerwig is a better fit for a powergirl movie because she is good at comedies the suggestion isn't sexist. It's coming from the context that Greta Gerwig has shown that she can adapt classics well while giving it a new spin (little women and barbie).
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?