Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

I remember people being very enthusiastic about an Amazon show or movie when Jenkins was floating the idea around.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I remember people being very enthusiastic about an Amazon show or movie when Jenkins was floating the idea around.
    I know for myself, if Diana is not part of the show in some way, then it isn't the show for me. Doubtful it will be must see TV for me. Unless the show gets the greatest word of mouth ever, not going to watch it.

So.....no animated series, we are not sure if the video game is truly going to be made or when we can expect to play it, no Wonder Woman movie in the near future, and all we get is a show about amazons that I truly don't care about because this is all before Diana is born? So we can expect a few action sequences with the amazons fighting either each other or some monsters on Themyscria, yet for all we know these amazons are all only highly trained yet have no superpowers of their own (assuming like in the comics or her first movie that they are all of average human strength).

I would have to agree with others that say this is a buffer till we get a new Wonder Woman, yet since they are basically saying they will be rebooting the DCU, then why can't the next Wonder Woman be greenlit with either a new upcoming movie or an animated series? Wonder Woman always seems to come out as a 2nd class citizen with respect to the greater comics universe, despite her first movie often being hailed as the best the DCEU has done.

I don't see the Amazons series doing well unless the 'hook' is that we see a young Diana growing up on the island which is something that Gunn has not said would happen. A Wonder Woman series without Wonder Woman! F U DC!

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I know for myself, if Diana is not part of the show in some way, then it isn't the show for me. Doubtful it will be must see TV for me. Unless the show gets the greatest word of mouth ever, not going to watch it.

So.....no animated series, we are not sure if the video game is truly going to be made or when we can expect to play it, no Wonder Woman movie in the near future, and all we get is a show about amazons that I truly don't care about because this is all before Diana is born? So we can expect a few action sequences with the amazons fighting either each other or some monsters on Themyscria, yet for all we know these amazons are all only highly trained yet have no superpowers of their own (assuming like in the comics or her first movie that they are all of average human strength).

I would have to agree with others that say this is a buffer till we get a new Wonder Woman, yet since they are basically saying they will be rebooting the DCU, then why can't the next Wonder Woman be greenlit with either a new upcoming movie or an animated series? Wonder Woman always seems to come out as a 2nd class citizen with respect to the greater comics universe, despite her first movie often being hailed as the best the DCEU has done.

I don't see the Amazons series doing well unless the 'hook' is that we see a young Diana growing up on the island which is something that Gunn has not said would happen. A Wonder Woman series without Wonder Woman! F U DC!
    I am gonna be honest: I am as unhappy about no Wonder Woman movie being announced in this first tease of Gunn's plan as you are. But the more I think about this new show, the more convinced I am that I will give it the benefit of the doubt. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the series's end will lead directly to the new DCU's debut of Wonder Woman in the studio's movie slate. I could see Diana's birth being the very last scene of the show, setting the stage for a solo WW film that in its first 5 minutes recaps the events of the series that led to Diana being born (which will hopefully involve the clay origin and the Olympian goddesses granting the child its powers).

I also feel that a show about the amazons could easily explore (among other things) the origins of two of Diana's best known foes (Circe and Ares), and could entangle both characters in the amazons' backstories, which would also set the stage for the eventual enmity between Diana and the two villains.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HotBoy View Post
    We already got two of those battles and they were...

The first WW film was great. I loved Dr. Poison in it. It also featured public domain Ares as well. WW84, while not as good as the first film, featured the public domain Duke of Deception so if you're going to say that those films were blemishes because of Dr. Poison and Cheetah then they were also blemishes because of Ares and the Duke as well.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hmmmm. This makes me wonder if the Wonder Fandom is as fractured as that of her peers comprising the legendary Triumvirate of Justice and Power. Or maybe moreso.

Do we like our Amazonian involvement on the order of the TV Show where it is rare we see them? Or uber involved as in the Ambassador days picking up the Perez yarn of bringing the Amazon tenets to the world? Or ...?

I don't mind when public domain characters appear in Wonder Woman related comics & films but I do dislike it when they are the focus instead of Diana, Steve, Etta, Cheetah, Giganta, and other exclusive DC characters.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The first WW film was great. I loved Dr. Poison in it. It also featured public domain Ares as well. WW84, while not as good as the first film, featured the public domain Duke of Deception so if you're going to say that those films were blemishes because of Dr. Poison and Cheetah then they were also blemishes because of Ares and the Duke as well.
    1).Duke of Deception was a namedrop, not an actual character.

and

2). Duke Deception is not a public domain character

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    I am gonna be honest: I am as unhappy about no Wonder Woman movie being announced in this first tease of Gunn's plan as you are. But the more I think about this new show, the more convinced I am that I will give it the benefit of the doubt. I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that the series's end will lead directly to the new DCU's debut of Wonder Woman in the studio's movie slate. I could see Diana's birth being the very last scene of the show, setting the stage for a solo WW film that in its first 5 minutes recaps the events of the series that led to Diana being born (which will hopefully involve the clay origin and the Olympian goddesses granting the child its powers).

I also feel that a show about the amazons could easily explore (among other things) the origins of two of Diana's best known foes (Circe and Ares), and could entangle both characters in the amazons' backstories, which would also set the stage for the eventual enmity between Diana and the two villains.
    So....unless this Amazons series is already being written and cast and is ready to go, what are we realistically looking at? 2025 before we even see the series, and what if they are talking about 2-3 seasons before we even get a whiff of Diana even being mentioned. We could be talking about the year 2028 before we get to Diana and her even being in a movie. We could well be talking years down the line before we see Diana, and all we get is a series about amazons that I truly don't care about?!? They are going to use Diana as a prop for other lesser known characters when she doesn't really have that much screen time herself? A cameo in BvS, a supporting role in JL where she gets her ass kicked, her first movie WW2017 which was very good, and a horrible sequel in WW84. That is it for the modern Wonder Woman, and in return we get Amazons?

This is truly just crumbs for us. Why do we ever think it is going to ever change?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    The Duke of Deception isn't public domain.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    DINGDINGDING!

That's the exact impression I'm getting.

Honestly, I think they'd be better off giving Diana a real movie franchise in a few years than this "hey you wanna hear about her aunts?" series that will, in all likelihood, seem random without her in it.

Folks in general still don't know 5 Wonder Woman villains by name. A prequel? That's.....not sounding wise.

Even Gotham and Smallville had to force in every major villain and supporting character early, just to get people to watch.

I'm not saying it can't work but...maybe make some good WW movies first?
    Tbf, the Amazons and Greek gods offer a LOT more material to work with than pre-Batman Gotham

The Duke of Deception isn't public domain.
    Technically, you are right: the character from Wonder Woman lore is not in the public domain. However, in the WW84 film it was mentioned that the deity also went by Dolos, the Greek personification of trickery, deceit, and treachery. This character is indeed in the public domain.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Patty isn't part of it and we know WW3 was coming after it.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Patty isn't part of it and we know WW3 was coming after it.
    The enthusiasm for Amazons and WW3 with Pattys involvement did die down a bit after WW84 though.

And though the DCEU Amazons were great, their backstory did involve them being charged with their mission by Zeus, Hippolyta sleeping with Zeus, and the Gods being wiped out. If this is a fully rebooted history of the Amazons, the chances of having more exciting material for them has gone up than what we would have gotten before.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Yeah i hope they start from scratch. They'll also likely recast Hippolyta which says plenty or be stupid enough to not include her.

Mods can we have this topic pinned btw and 84 de-pinned?

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Yeah i hope they start from scratch. They'll also likely recast Hippolyta which says plenty or be stupid enough to not include her.

Mods can we have this topic pinned btw and 84 de-pinned?
    Yeah, I'm expecting they're going to recast Hippolyta...which might be part of the reason why they couldn't get WW3 to work.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The enthusiasm for Amazons and WW3 with Pattys involvement did die down a bit after WW84 though.

And though the DCEU Amazons were great, their backstory did involve them being charged with their mission by Zeus, Hippolyta sleeping with Zeus, and the Gods being wiped out. If this is a fully rebooted history of the Amazons, the chances of having more exciting material for them has gone up than what we would have gotten before.
    Not that I put much stock in the "Game of Thrones" description, but I wouldn't rule the former two choices being in play even with a clean slate. It isn't like Diana being a child of Zeus was limited only to the previous movies.