Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Paradise Lost: Amazons prequel series announced for HBO Max

https://variety.com/2023/film/news/d...ld-1235507426/

This “‘Game of Thrones’-ish story,” Safran said, is set on the island of Themyscira before the birth of Diana (a.k.a. Wonder Woman).

“It’s really about the political intrigue behind a society of all women,” Safran said.

Added Gunn, “How did that come about? What’s the origin of an island of all women? What are the beautiful truths and the ugly truths behind all of that? And what’s the scheming like between the different power players in that society?”

The provocative title recalls the “Paradise Island Lost” comics series authored by Phil Jimenez and George Pérez, which followed a civil war on Themyscira; however, that run directly involved Wonder Woman.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I'm excited. Scared. Optimistic. Pessimistic.

This was literally my pipedream. And Gunn has specifically said that he loves Historia, plus the first chapter is called "Gods and Monsters" which means it'll likely be heavily focused on the gods. In other words, all roads point to Historia-inspired...and hopefully a canonized clay origin and ample queer rep.

I really, really, REALLY hope Kelly Sue DeConnick is involved, and I especially hope this adds pressure for all 9 books.

I know some fans are probably gonna be upset that it doesn't include Diana, but he said this wasn't the full slate - my guess is that they're waiting until after Gal's final appearance in The Flash to announce more WW projects (maybe at SDCC?). Same with Jason Momoa, who's most likely being recast as Lobo.

Mmm, don't like that he used an image of the Finch run there.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm hoping Historia is the big influence. On the other hand, there isn't anything more "Game of Thrones" than a queen sleeping with another queens husband behind her back and having a forbidden bastard child. I worry the Azz run may be more what the WB execs would want to look to.

As with the Wonder Woman movie, I won't believe this is real until I see the first trailer.

Hopefully it takes influence from good WW content and not Azz's wannabe HBO show pitch.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-31-2023 at 10:53 AM.

I'm glad to hear about this... but will wait to pass judgement on it until it airs.....
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Incredible Member

This feels a bit like a Moneky's Paw, at least the "inspired by Game of Thrones" part. Seems it could lean in the wrong direction very easily.

I guess this show will really tackle the idea that Themyscira was a Paradise if they're going the Game of Thrones route, but I hope they don't dwell too much on it and just have the Amazons sniping at each other and manipulating each other instead of...y'know, being a positive and idealized take on a society of women because men can't grasp that or we need to watch flawed (and sometimes unlikable) people. But that just might be me assuming the worst.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess this show will really tackle the idea that Themyscira was a Paradise if they're going the Game of Thrones route, but I hope they don't dwell too much on it and just have the Amazons sniping at each other and manipulating each other instead of...y'know, being a positive and idealized take on a society of women because men can't grasp that or we need to watch flawed (and sometimes unlikable) people. But that just might be me assuming the worst.
    Exactly my fears.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "But Frontier, didn't you know the Amazons being awful is more mythically accurate to a bunch of myths written by a society of misogynistic Greeks..."

-every post ever defending the New 52 Amazons.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    I'm excited. Scared. Optimistic. Pessimistic.
    All of this and more. So many emotions.

If it's inspired by Historia, yay. If it's inspired by New 52, boo. Knowing Gunn, it'll be inspired by New 52.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    Exactly my fears.
    And mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    All of this and more. So many emotions.

If it's inspired by Historia, yay. If it's inspired by New 52, boo. Knowing Gunn, it'll be inspired by New 52.
    Well, the image he used is from the New 52, so...

Fantastic Member

This concept feels like it's drawing from Phil Jimenez's "Paradise Lost" arc and Historia. I hope he and Kelly Sue DeConnick were at consulted and have some type of creative involvement/consulting.

Honestly not sure what to feel about this.

The Amazons will get screen treatment...just not Diana...?
    They are probably trying to put some space between Gal's last appearance as Diana, and whoever the new Diana actress will be.
    It buys them some time, and keeps the Amazons part of the DCU (that's good) but delays any future Diana appearances until when (?)...2028? 2030? (that's bad).

If Batman can have duplicitive versions running around, we can't have one Diana (given that Gal probably won't be seen again after the Flash movie)?