Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

In a matter of 3 years we will have 4 different Batmen on the big screen. But lord forbid DC has 2 WW in that same span.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    In a matter of 3 years we will have 4 different Batmen on the big screen. But lord forbid DC has 2 WW in that same span.
    To be fair, 2 of those will be Batdad and Old Man Batman (though rumors are circulating that Keaton has been cut from The Flash movie).

Quote Originally Posted by astro@work View Post
    Honestly not sure what to feel about this.

The Amazons will get screen treatment...just not Diana...?
    They are probably trying to put some space between Gal's last appearance as Diana, and whoever the new Diana actress will be.
    It buys them some time, and keeps the Amazons part of the DCU (that's good) but delays any future Diana appearances until when (?)...2028? 2030? (that's bad).

If Batman can have duplicitive versions running around, we can't have one Diana (given that Gal probably won't be seen again after the Flash movie)?
    Yeah, I think this is how they're adding a buffer between Gal and the new WW while establishing WW's lore in the new DCU. He also didn't say anything about the future of Shazam, Aquaman (or Lobo), or Flash in the new DCU - they're not gonna announce that characters are being recast before they've even made their final appearances, especially when they could really use WW for marketing.

Also Gunn specifically said that this isn't everything, and we know for a fact that there are already several projects in the works that he didn't mention (the Reevesverse Penguin spin-off, Peacemaker season 2, My Adventures With Superman, Batman: Caped Crusader assuming it gets picked up by another studio). My guess is that we'll hear more after The Flash, likely at SDCC. It's annoying that he won't just say outright that they're recasting everyone but it feels pretty obvious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess this show will really tackle the idea that Themyscira was a Paradise if they're going the Game of Thrones route, but I hope they don't dwell too much on it and just have the Amazons sniping at each other and manipulating each other instead of...y'know, being a positive and idealized take on a society of women because men can't grasp that or we need to watch flawed (and sometimes unlikable) people. But that just might be me assuming the worst.
    I interpreted Game of Thrones as "big-budget high fantasy show with political drama."

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Well, the image he used is from the New 52, so...
    I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on the images in the presentation, it was probably just put together by some random graphic designer.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I do feel encouraged by the fact that Historia is literally the only WW book James Gunn has ever mentioned.

Yeah the Green Lantern show used images from the Earth One graphic novels and I very much doubt it’s actually based on those.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It'd be pretty on brand for DC to look to the best comics possible for Superman and Batman (Morrison), and look to the worst stuff for WW if we were to take the New 52 image literally.

But yeah, him saying he read Historia is the best sign we could get when looking at this announcement

Incredible Member

I can't say I'm too excited about this. A DCU reboot, and there's no actual Wonder Woman. I find it funny that Gunn debunked a leak that Wonder Woman wouldn't show up in the first three years of this reboot. His own slate shows that the leak was correct. It's hard for me to invest in an Amazon show with no larger Wonder Woman to anchor that corner of the world.

It also seems all of this is connected, so I'm hoping that's why there's no Wonder Woman animated series. At this point, I want a series that's not at all connected to Gunn's verse.

As for the show itself, I'm whelmed. I'm willing to give it a try, but I'm not particularly looking forward to it. I was let down by his reveal in general. As a Wonder Woman fan, I want Wonder Woman. Once she's established, then I want Wonder Girls, Nubia, Artemis, and an Amazons show, but as is, it feels like an obligatory "Wonder Woman" project because they know it would look questionable for them not to have one.

I'd rather they just let Patty/Gal finish their trilogy with a 2025 release because now it looks like we won't get a Wonder Woman film until 2028 at the earliest.

3/10

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    I can't say I'm too excited about this. A DCU reboot, and there's no actual Wonder Woman. I find it funny that Gunn debunked a leak that Wonder Woman wouldn't show up in the first three years of this reboot. His own slate shows that the leak was correct. It's hard for me to invest in an Amazon show with no larger Wonder Woman to anchor that corner of the world.

It also seems all of this is connected, so I'm hoping that's why there's no Wonder Woman animated series. At this point, I want a series that's not at all connected to Gunn's verse.

As for the show itself, I'm whelmed. I'm willing to give it a try, but I'm not particularly looking forward to it. I was let down by his reveal in general. As a Wonder Woman fan, I want Wonder Woman. Once she's established, then I want Wonder Girls, Nubia, Artemis, and an Amazons show, but as is, it feels like an obligatory "Wonder Woman" project because they know it would look questionable for them not to have one.

I'd rather they just let Patty/Gal finish their trilogy with a 2025 release because now it looks like we won't get a Wonder Woman film until 2028 at the earliest.

3/10
    Replying to myself, it's also depressing because Amazon is creating an entire Tomb Raider universe. Lara is getting an animated series on Netflix - pre-Amazon deal - a tv series, a movie, a video game. I'm not certain why WB/DC is so hesitant to do the same with Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess this show will really tackle the idea that Themyscira was a Paradise if they're going the Game of Thrones route, but I hope they don't dwell too much on it and just have the Amazons sniping at each other and manipulating each other instead of...y'know, being a positive and idealized take on a society of women because men can't grasp that or we need to watch flawed (and sometimes unlikable) people. But that just might be me assuming the worst.
    Some of the best characters on GOT/HOTD were the women so I’d happy about that! A happy go lucky society with no conflict or manipulation is boring. Can’t wait to see the Amazons fight for the throne! Maybe we’ll get Nubia and Artemis in there? Perhaps some hints at Yara Flors people… definitely has potential.

Though CH 1 of the DCU being titled Gods and Monsters has me thinking this show might be building up the Gods part and showcasing some monsters (Dooms Doorway?)

Edit: Azz version of the Greek Gods is the way to go, just don’t adapt his Amazons lol
    Done with DC. Can't handle the constant whiplash! Time to go on a hiatus!

This isn't at all what I wanted. I'm very underwhelmed by the entire announcement. I keep thinking "We lost Henry Cavill, WW3 and Batgirl for this?".

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Mmm, don't like that he used an image of the Finch run there.
    That is what triggered me! I hope that is not what they are doing and leaning into new poopy-2 crap.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    This isn't at all what I wanted. I'm very underwhelmed by the entire announcement. I keep thinking "We lost Henry Cavill, WW3 and Batgirl for this?".
    I don't care about Henry Cavill and Batgirl, but I very much agree with WW3. This was underwhelming.

I'm still just looking forward to the game, and WB being sold off to Amazon or Universal.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If this leads to another eventual shot at the gods, clay birth, Amazon tech, Cheetah and Circe, I'm fine with losing WW3 in the present

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    Yeah, I think this is how they're adding a buffer between Gal and the new WW while establishing WW's lore in the new DCU. He also didn't say anything about the future of Shazam, Aquaman (or Lobo), or Flash in the new DCU - they're not gonna announce that characters are being recast before they've even made their final appearances, especially when they could really use WW for marketing.

Also Gunn specifically said that this isn't everything, and we know for a fact that there are already several projects in the works that he didn't mention (the Reevesverse Penguin spin-off, Peacemaker season 2, My Adventures With Superman, Batman: Caped Crusader assuming it gets picked up by another studio). My guess is that we'll hear more after The Flash, likely at SDCC. It's annoying that he won't just say outright that they're recasting everyone but it feels pretty obvious to me.
    Agree...they don't want to undermine the box office returns on future releases of Flash, Shazam2 and Aquaman2 by admitting they're recasting...so they're soft-pedaling that aspect.
    Once they are released, expect more definitive announcements...

I'm going to be honest, I don't have much faith here.

Looking at the announced slate, half of it looks like stuff James Gunn would actually be interested in. But the other half is either obvious or stuff that was already in development on some level. There was supposed to be a Supergirl movie after Flash anyway. They'd been working on a Green Lantern show for some time. And, yeah, at one point, there was supposed to be an Amazons prequel show.

Warner is probably just pushing to complete/continue stuff that was already in some production in the hope they can recoup whatever money was already spent...very much like how they spend over a decade trying to make "The Death of Superman" before it finally turned into Batman v. Superman.

Honestly...I think they only announced Paradise Lost because they have zero plans for Wonder Woman but knew they needed to have SOMETHING for her. Reviving the Amazon-focused prequel series seems like a convenient way to buy time.

I'm not saying the show won't happen. I'll be pretty surprised if it does, and if so, hopefully it'll be good. But I don't think it's an indication of Warners' plans for Wonder Woman's future.
    I'd say it's the opposite in fact.

I wonder how long before Diana's birth it'll be set. Like early enough that Hippolyta hasn't quite felt the desire of wanting a child?
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    Some of the best characters on GOT/HOTD were the women so I’d happy about that! A happy go lucky society with no conflict or manipulation is boring. Can’t wait to see the Amazons fight for the throne! Maybe we’ll get Nubia and Artemis in there? Perhaps some hints at Yara Flors people… definitely has potential.

Though CH 1 of the DCU being titled Gods and Monsters has me thinking this show might be building up the Gods part and showcasing some monsters (Dooms Doorway?)

Edit: Azz version of the Greek Gods is the way to go, just don’t adapt his Amazons lol
    I guess for me WW is all about female empowerment and cooperation, which is what Themyscira represents. I'm not saying there shouldn't be conflict but I don't want the former aspect to be diluted to make it feel more GoT-like.