Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default James Gunn announces the first slate of the DCU- Gods and Monsters

Waller gets her own show! Some animated thing with monsters! The Authority! That Green Lanterns show is still happening! Paradise Lost- described as Game of Thrones, but with Amazons! Supergirl is getting a movie! Batman: The Brave and the Bold will be the DCU's introduction to the new Batman, and Damian Wayne as Robin! And Superman is returning again in 2025!

BANNED

I have tried to stay away from this whole.... James Gunn is taking over DC. I wish the news will just fade away. There is nothing this man can be bring to DC that will feel new or original.

What I will like is for DC not to make another comic film for about 15-20 years before a hard reboot. Believe me, fans can wait. We waited 13 years for Avatar sequel that was a first and original franchise. Surely we can wait 20 years for a DC reboot. it would have been great since MCU would have killed the genre within those 20 years, giving DC a good chance to kick start it again.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    I have tried to stay away from this whole.... James Gunn is taking over DC. I wish the news will just fade away. There is nothing this man can be bring to DC that will feel new or original.

What I will like is for DC not to make another comic film for about 15-20 years before a hard reboot. Believe me, fans can wait. We waited 13 years for Avatar sequel that was a first and original franchise. Surely we can wait 20 years for a DC reboot. it would have been great since MCU would have killed the genre within those 20 years, giving DC a good chance to kick start it again.
    Unless you are an old fan who could literally die before seeing a new DC film / TV under your plan. Thanks alot.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

Waller gets her own show! Some animated thing with monsters! The Authority! That Green Lanterns show is still happening! Paradise Lost- described as Game of Thrones, but with Amazons! Supergirl is getting a movie! Batman: The Brave and the Bold will be the DCU's introduction to the new Batman, and Damian Wayne as Robin! And Superman is returning again in 2025!
    It's good to see something from the new crew ... but it sure leans into Morrison and King ... and the darker side of things. I think they are missing the point on PARADISE Island, if they want to make GoT. But like so many things, execution is what matters. Will see how it goes. Of everything announced, it's Waller with Viola Davis that I'm looking forward to the most.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

BANNED

Z-List Monsters who have the occasional fun romp in an anthology magazine in a Gunn-scripted cringe 'comedy'
    Paradise Lost and Supergirl will be slaughtered by women-hating grifter internet. Guaranteed.
    You have Damien, that's good, first Bat film with a Robin co-lead since 1997, hopefully Jon will join him in Slate 2 or 3 one day
    Swamp Thing should be a continuation of that show they axed some years back
    Booster Gold should have been made first ahead of Peacemaker
    Waller is never going to be interesting.

So, you see the need for rebooting the DC movies into some kind of shared universe, but you don’t like Gunn. Why?

Also, no, WB Discovery is not going to wait 15 to 20 years to make another DC movie or show. That’s wholly unrealistic to think anyone who owns the DC IP would wait that long to make DC movies and shows. With $50 billion in debt and 40% of its capital destroyed by its generally sinking stock price, WB Discovery cannot even stop making the movies and shows they were already committed to making in their last “universe.” See Flash for details.

WB Discovery needs big DC hits, ASAP. We’re really talking about the continuing existence of WB and DC in a form that resembles what has gone on prior to this. Zaslav, Gunn and Safran really need to make this IP work, or the changes after this are not likely to please any WB or DC fans. Even if Gunn and Safran produce hits, it might not be enough to keep WB Discovery going in its current form.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    You have Damien, that's good...
    Is it, though?
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

To say that you are in the minority?

Well, that would be putting it lightly.

Might be in an actual minority of a lone person.

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    Unless you are an old fan who could literally die before seeing a new DC film / TV under your plan. Thanks alot.
    Seriously...

Gunn is a literal DC fan, and the guy is headed towards sixty.

The fan base that the company has could easily be cut in half fifteen or twenty years from now.

Authority? Swamp Thing? I'm impressed.
    Supergirl? Intrigued.
    Young Superman? Lanterns? Batman & Assassin? Cautiously optimistic.
    Anything Suicide Squad or Waller related? Nah, fam.
    Last edited by nx01a; 01-31-2023 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

What I liked:

Swamp Thing: This one excites me the most. Love Swamp Thing and I think a dark/horror element works best for this character.

Green Lantern TV Show: With so much characters and history behind Green Lantern, I think Hal/John's Story works far better as a series than a movie.

What I really didn't like

So they're going to do a Live Action Waller TV show and still have Viola Davis as Amanda Waller....but Cavill isn't Superman?

A live action Damian Wayne? They need to increase his age. As a cartoon/comic, his character works but in live action? A kid with no powers teaming up with Batman sounds corny and I can't imagine the fight scenes are going to be convincing.

Overall: Far too early to make a real opinion but it still sounds like a mess.

There's no judging what all of these titles will come to be once the finished product is in the can. Who knows, stuff we think will be awful could turn out to be great.

For me, seeing Lanterns described as True Detective in space put it at the top of my "I'm interested" list.

Then I like the idea of The Authority, though it remains to be seen how far Warner will allow them to push the property towards what went on in the comics.

And while I haven't read the associated comics, the Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow movie seems interesting.

At the outset, I have no interest in the Superman or the two Batman related titles. And since I've never been much of a fan of the comic versions of Swamp Thing or Booster Gold, those properties don't currently rank high on my interest list. And I can't even remember anything about Creature Commandos.

As for the Waller and Paradise Lost shows, they might have some appeal but I'll have to wait to see some trailers or teasers before I could even begin the decide if I want to see them.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I like most of it.

Damian is an interesting choice because he hasn't become an adult in canon. Currently he's 14 so we would be in uncharted territory. Unlike the comics his actor would age out the role pretty fast. So I could see them just doing the Harry Potter thing where he's older in each appearance.

The Authority would work better as an Elseworlds tale than in continuity with the others.

Supergirl hasn't interested me outside of the new 52 take. Maybe Woman of Tomorrow will do the trick.

WW Paradise Lost sounds cool.

Booster Gold and Creature Commandoes sounds great.

GL, Superman and Swamp Thing are too vague to really form an opinion yet.

I wish we had an adaptation of Bruce Timm's Gods and Monsters.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-01-2023 at 05:50 AM.

Astonishing Member

Authority has me intrigued.
    Viola Davis is amazing A list actress so trying to harness her talent in Waller makes sense but....

Damian joining just makes me go to ok so does that mean Nightwing already exists here and we are on Damian? I wouldn't want them to ignore Nightwing , Red Hood, Tim for years if you are skipping to Damian. If they still exist that's fine that just means they can show up elsewhere
    Last edited by kidfresh512; 01-31-2023 at 02:21 PM.

I’m a little nonplussed by the announcements. I was expecting something more exciting from the guy who brought us Guardians of the Galaxy, Peacemaker and Starro in the Suicide Squad.

Reeves’ Batman and Phillips’ Joker are left untouched, as expected, which is good — why mess with a good thing?

Phillips’ Harley Quinn and Joker musical sounds way more interesting than anything else Gunn announced.

More Viola Davis as Amanda Waller was kind of expected, although I never thought they’d give her a show of her own.

The Authority doesn’t excite me a single iota. I kind of loathe the very idea, and I’m a big Authority fan from way back. The Authority was best apart from the DC comics’ universes. It was great as its own Wildstorm series. I followed it from the beginning, back at the end of the original Stormwatch’s run by Ellis and onto its first 12 issues. If Gunn were going to give us Sliding Albion and the King of Nails, I’d love it. But seeing as it is the DC version of Authority, I’m much less interested. Parodies of Superman and Batman work better when not in a DC universe that has a Superman and Batman.

I can’t imagine Swamp Thing is anything but a Moore adaptation, and those never work well. Look at the big, giant crap Snyder took all over Watchmen for details. At least Gunn won’t make anything that bad.

Then there’s the new DC Studios’ Batman and Damian. (He’s Damian. Dick Grayson is the only real Robin in my book.) If we get more of an O’Neil-Adams-like Ra’s al Ghul, then great! If it’s more Morrison than O’Neil-Adams, and it likely will be with Damian, then I’m less interested already. Does this mean Dark Knight Rises is in-universe canon? I have questions. If Gunn’s going to do Morrison’s Batman, then I wish he’d get real weird and give us Zur-En-Arrh. Why stop with Damian? Let’s introduce the world to the villainous Dr. Thomas Wayne/Simon Hurt. Morrison’s Damian doesn’t go far enough compared to the other fun stuff Morrison got up to with Batman.

We still have few details on Superman. At least Snyder and Cavill are gone.

A GoT-style Amazonian show? Okay? It’s not what I was looking for, but if it sees the light of day, I’ll watch it once, at least.

The other announcements I don’t even have a comment on, they’re so far outside what I would care about. Who knows? Maybe some of it will be absolutely great and I’ll love it. It’s all about execution, as Reviresco rightly said.

Despite my perhaps cynical take, I hope Gunn and Safran succeed and make some good DC movies. The characters and us fans deserve it.
    Last edited by Brian B; 01-31-2023 at 01:58 PM.