Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    For me, seeing Lanterns described as True Detective in space put it at the top of my "I'm interested" list.
    I almost don't even care about the other news after I learned this. I'm beyond desperate for good GL films/shows, which should be fairly easy for DC/WBD to pull off and thus it's been extremely frustrating it hasn't yet been pulled off.

GL is not unlike what people like about Doctor Who. It should be easy to realize that.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-31-2023 at 02:13 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Getting Damien makes me hype. He is my favorite Robin and I'm glad he's getting this chance

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Getting Damien makes me hype. He is my favorite Robin and I'm glad he's getting this chance
    As long as Dick, Jason, and Tim are around doing their own thing, I'm okay with this.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Is it, though?
    To be honest, I'm kind of sick of Damian. But if having Damian means the Bat family is already established, and there's a Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, and a couple of Batgirls already in the new DCU, I'm all for it.

For the record, my Robin will always be Tim Drake. And it pains me he never gets any respect, even in the comics now (yeah, he's got his own book, but the art makes it unreadable. And let's not even mention how they initially changed his backstory in the New52. Ugh...)

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla2099 View Post
    What I really didn't like

So they're going to do a Live Action Waller TV show and still have Viola Davis as Amanda Waller....but Cavill isn't Superman?

A live action Damian Wayne? They need to increase his age. As a cartoon/comic, his character works but in live action? A kid with no powers teaming up with Batman sounds corny and I can't imagine the fight scenes are going to be convincing.
    There is a lot more info from Gunn floating around the internet. He states that they are going to keep some actors, and replace others He also states Jason Mamoa will not be playing two characters. But he also mentions Jason always envisioned Aquaman as a trilogy, and that Mamoa really likes Lobo. So for all I know, He'll do one more Aquaman movie, then switch to Lobo.

And no, don't incread Damian's age. For once, just lean into the comics and have Batman have a kid sidekick. Having a kid fight alongside Batman isn't any more ridiculous than having a man DRESS LIKE A BAT and fight crime.

Well, I feel now that I have already seen the best DC I'm going to see in my lifetime. He pretty much lost me in the first couple of minutes and I tuned off almost completely when he said Waller was getting a show. Then the absolute best stuff they have going right now is being relegated to Elseworlds - why? Not dark enough, I'm guessing. When you're doing GoT with the Amazons? And angsty Superman again? Damian? The Authority? Yeesh. We have seriously had enough edgy and dark, fellahs.

Hopefully the next generation likes this stuff. I mean that sincerely. DC needs new fans.

Don't mean to be a complete downer. I'll still try it. Some of it.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-31-2023 at 02:28 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Brave and the Bold sounds great but it definitely needs Dick as Nightwing to act as a third perspective and older brother character to Damian and deal with his varied relationship with Bruce. Granted that I gather Titans did some of that but we really deserve a proper Nightwing on film.

Paradise Lost is clearly inherited from an earlier project by Jenkins but presumably without Gal’s version of Wonder Women. Curious if the show will be a new origin tale for the character.

Lanterns is way more interesting now it’s about Hal and John, if it’s well written definitely excited to see that.

Really torn about Booster Gold, especially if it’s another Pratt project.

Ezra getting to still be Flash when others have left is not a good thing, especially with his history now. Happy that Maona is sticking around either as Aquaman or Lobo if not both though.

Superman and Supergirl depends on the cast but I can be excited about both movies.

No feelings about anything else newly announced, Authority seems to only being done to do Superman vs the Elite and to get Midnight and Apollo out there as a LBGT couple. But if Gunn can do what he managed with Guardians it could work. Happy that they’re not messing with Reeves Batman stuff.

Of the new stuff announced

Really Excited for Superman Legacy, Supergirl, Brave and the Bold, Lanterns, Booster Gold, Swamp Thing, & Creature Commandos.

Somewhat excited for Authority and Waller.

Interested but not excited for Paradise Lost.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Pushing the Authority seems like a mistake to me. It is a property that even in the comics ran out of gas a decades ago. That and the fact your doing that before so many other more mainstream and know DC IP'S? It just seems like a mistake. That book and IP was very much a product of its time, and that time was 20 years ago.

I think Authority is kind of brilliant. Would have I preferred a JSA film? Oh hell yes. But this is a good alternative.

Let's face it between WB's mismanagement of it and quality of the products the Justice League brand is tainted. Also, there is the Ezra question. If things work out with Flashpoint and Ezra keeps their nose clean and the public moves on from the scandals than Ezra can stay from a business point of view. But if Ezra is proven after Flashpoint to still be an issue than they get to do a Justice League type film with no Flash factor and let the character rest until another phase and reboot him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think Authority is kind of brilliant. Would have I preferred a JSA film? Oh hell yes. But this is a good alternative.

Let's face it between WB's mismanagement of it and quality of the products the Justice League brand is tainted. Also, there is the Ezra question. If things work out with Flashpoint and Ezra keeps their nose clean and the public moves on from the scandals than Ezra can stay from a business point of view. But if Ezra is proven after Flashpoint to still be an issue than they get to do a Justice League type film with no Flash factor and let the character rest until another phase and reboot him.
    I was amazed Ezra walked on breaking into his neighbors’ house. He must have spent a lot on his lawyers.

Wouldn’t it be hysterical if the Flash movie ends up being one of the greatest superhero movies of all time? I can’t imagine it is, but it would be funny if it was great.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Pushing the Authority seems like a mistake to me. It is a property that even in the comics ran out of gas a decades ago. That and the fact your doing that before so many other more mainstream and know DC IP'S? It just seems like a mistake. That book and IP was very much a product of its time, and that time was 20 years ago.
    I feel Gunn is pushing the authority thanks to the popularity of the boys. The Authority is the closest thing DC has to it.

Okay, so a quick rundown:

Superman: Legacy

I don't like the title being "Legacy." It just feels weird that the title of a new Superman movie and the first Superman film has some random subtitle.

Although considering the premise, I don't think we're getting evil Kryptonians but probably some kind of threat born from Krypton (Brainiac?).

Also Batman is once again passing over Superman in experience and career length I guess.

The Authority

I don't have any strong feelings for the Authority but I'm surprised we're getting them before a new JL team. This feels like the type of group that would've been a perfect fit for the Snyderverse.

The Brave and the Bold

Can I just say how much the title doesn't fit? This sounds like a Batman and Robin movie, or Son of Batman, not the Brave and the Bold. If they wanted to call it Brave and the Bold they should've made it about Batman teaming-up with various heroes in one movie.

It does kind of feel funny to me how much this feels like the DCAMU starting off with Damian for their first Batman movie and probably introduce their take on the Batfamily in similar fashion (although they might not excise Jason like they did). I guess the question is if we'll see Dick as Nightwing in it and whether they want Babs as Oracle or Batgirl.

It is nice to know we'll finally have Batman and Robin on-film again after so long.

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow

I guess I'm not surprised they're adapting Woman of Tomorrow but it feels like a weird take doing it with a Kara either people will only have just been introduced too (Sasha Calle) or a completely new one. Like I feel like you need to do more to build Kara up before you do this, though I guess it's definitely got a "Supergirl with attitude" which seems to be in vogue.

Swamp Thing

I wonder how this will compare to the show. I guess Swampie will probably be fully CG instead of the practical version they had for the series.

Creature Commandos

This totally feels like something Gunn would do. I just remember the DC Showcase shorts and how hilarious they were.

I wonder why they're attaching Rick Flag Sr. to it. Will they have him react to his sons' death?

Waller

So much for Peacemaker season 2.

It's nice to have more Viola Davis I just hope this is a more layered and complex version of Amanda Waller and not the hardcore, near government Supervillain, Waller of recent adaptions.

Lanterns

Can I just say that I don't like that it's called "Lanterns?" It's a Green Lantern show, call it that. Or even just "Green Lanterns" even if that was Simon and Jessica's things. It makes it feel more like a procedural than a GL show.

Although if Berlanti was the Space Opera and this is True Detective, I wonder how much they're scaling things back. I doubt it'll be as bad as, say, only seeing them transform in one scene with two constructs per episode but it definitely seems like they're not going as "big" as Berlanti was. Which is weird to say.

I'm glad Hal and John will be together and that buddy cop duo thing is actually happening although hopefully both are written well.

Paradise Lost

So we have confirmed movies with Batman and Superman while Wonder Woman loses her third film to get a prequel series...that she won't even be in. I mean, Gunn talks about the door being open to Gadot coming back but it really feels like they don't know what to do with Diana right now.

I guess this show will really tackle the idea that Themyscira was a Paradise if they're going the Game of Thrones route, but I hope they don't dwell too much on it and just have the Amazons sniping at each other and manipulating each other instead of...y'know, being a positive and idealized take on a society of women because men can't grasp that or we need to watch flawed (and sometimes unlikable) people. But that just might be me assuming the worst.

Booster Gold

This seems like a no-brainer. I wonder how much from Boosters' actual comic runs they'll draw from for this and whether we'll see some Justice League International characters (specifically Ted Kord) show up.

I don't think I've ever been turned off a property so hard then when Gunn iterated, quite hard mind you, that outside of things like Teen Titans Go, EVERYTHING will be in the same universe and interconnected. Having some animated series have their own comic tie-ins? Okay. But I already don't like nor care for where most DC media is at. My main hope was always other takes. Now I don't even get that.

And what's this BS about Ezra Miller, of all people, being retained, when people like Cavill get screwed over?

Damian Wayne? I like the character, but the previous Robins sure as hell better be in there too.

The rest is "meh", until I saw Paradise Island, but Game of Thrones style! Who green lit this?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Authority was fantastic as a Wildstorm title. It never made sense in the actual DC comic universe that already has a Batman (Midnighter) and Superman (Apollo).

Then, there’s the whole thing with Ellis, another #MeToo offender. Although, compared to the likes of Harvey Weinstein, Ellis’ offenses are nothing — again, in comparison to Weinstein. Don’t flame me for distinguishing between a cad and a rapist. But still, how do you adapt the Authority when its very best stories are by Ellis? I don’t see how you can.

Millar’s runs on the title were derivative of Ellis’ work. It wasn’t his best work, IMO.

I stopped even trying to follow sometime after they put them in DC proper. Even Morrison couldn’t make it work, IMO. Maybe that’s my problem. Maybe I missed great Authority comics, but I doubt it.

If Gunn, Safran and Zaslav had the stones, they would adapt Planetary instead of Authority. Imagine them taking on and destroying the Four, before MCU’s version ever opens at the box office. Now, that would be something.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't think I've ever been turned off a property so hard then when Gunn iterated, quite hard mind you, that outside of things like Teen Titans Go, EVERYTHING will be in the same universe and interconnected. Having some animated series have their own comic tie-ins? Okay. But I already don't like nor care for where most DC media is at. My main hope was always other takes. Now I don't even get that.

And what's this BS about Ezra Miller, of all people, being retained, when people like Cavill get screwed over?

Damian Wayne? I like the character, but the previous Robins sure as hell better be in there too.

The rest is "meh", until I saw Paradise Island, but Game of Thrones style! Who green lit this?
    It's easy to see why DC's on board with Miller.

By all accounts, they really seem to love The Flash. They think it's on the level of The Dark Knight.

Miller is also thirty, so he's the right age to be able to play the Flash in a bunch of movies.

Henry Cavill's pushing 40, so he may not be the right fit if DC wants to set up a shared universe with a younger Superman.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets