Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Authority was fantastic as a Wildstorm title. It never made sense in the actual DC comic universe that already has a Batman (Midnighter) and Superman (Apollo).

Then, there’s the whole thing with Ellis, another #MeToo offender. Although, compared to the likes of Harvey Weinstein, Ellis’ offenses are nothing — again, in comparison to Weinstein. Don’t flame me for distinguishing between a cad and a rapist. But still, how do you adapt the Authority when its very best stories are by Ellis? I don’t see how you can.

Millar’s runs on the title were derivative of Ellis’ work. It wasn’t his best work, IMO.

I stopped even trying to follow sometime after they put them in DC proper. Even Morrison couldn’t make it work, IMO. Maybe that’s my problem. Maybe I missed great Authority comics, but I doubt it.

If Gunn, Safran and Zaslav had the stones, they would adapt Planetary instead of Authority. Imagine them taking on and destroying the Four, before MCU’s version ever opens at the box office. Now, that would be something.

Agreed. Planetary would be amazing to see on the screen.

That being said The Authority was brilliant. IMO, it was one of the best comics of the last few decades (the Ellis run not so much the Millar run). Apart from Morrison's JL, it was one of the few high-concept books on the stands. It was ground-breaking in many ways (the Millar run while still good leaned into the meanness a little too much). The evolution of Stormwatch into the Authority was amazing to watch in real-time.

At the time, I don't think there were any "out" superheroes at the time. Seriously, DC censored the gay kiss at the Apollo and Midnighter wedding. The Absolute Authority is a must-read for anyone that loves superhero comics.

HOWEVER, The Authority DOES NOT fit into the DC universe proper. As I mentioned earlier, the team was created in a certain context, in a certain setting at a particular time. Outside of that setting, it simply doesn't work. The Authority is almost as powerful as the Justice League and they pre-emptively take down their enemies (including in some cases, entire countries, planets, and even "God"), it just can't work in the DC universe without radically overhauling the concept.

Nonetheless, I look forward to seeing what Gunn and co will do with them.

Authority was fantastic as a Wildstorm title. It never made sense in the actual DC comic universe that already has a Batman (Midnighter) and Superman (Apollo).

Then, there’s the whole thing with Ellis, another #MeToo offender. Although, compared to the likes of Harvey Weinstein, Ellis’ offenses are nothing — again, in comparison to Weinstein. Don’t flame me for distinguishing between a cad and a rapist. But still, how do you adapt the Authority when its very best stories are by Ellis? I don’t see how you can.

Millar’s runs on the title were derivative of Ellis’ work. It wasn’t his best work, IMO.

I stopped even trying to follow sometime after they put them in DC proper. Even Morrison couldn’t make it work, IMO. Maybe that’s my problem. Maybe I missed great Authority comics, but I doubt it.

If Gunn, Safran and Zaslav had the stones, they would adapt Planetary instead of Authority. Imagine them taking on and destroying the Four, before MCU’s version ever opens at the box office. Now, that would be something.
    Easy...

John/Jane Movie Going Public?

They have no clue what you are even talking about.

Never mind being invested in stopping it from making it to the screen.

Past that?

The company is going to put out a "Flash..." film starring the current actor.

The idea that Ellis is more of an issue than that?

It's laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

That being said The Authority was brilliant. IMO, it was one of the best comics of the last few decades (the Ellis run not so much the Millar run). Apart from Morrison's JL, it was one of the few high-concept books on the stands. It was ground-breaking in many ways (the Millar run while still good leaned into the meanness a little too much). The evolution of Stormwatch into the Authority was amazing to watch in real-time.

At the time, I don't think there were any "out" superheroes at the time. Seriously, DC censored the gay kiss at the Apollo and Midnighter wedding. The Absolute Authority is a must-read for anyone that loves superhero comics.

HOWEVER, The Authority DOES NOT fit into the DC universe proper. As I mentioned earlier, the team was created in a certain context, in a certain setting at a particular time. Outside of that setting, it simply doesn't work. The Authority is almost as powerful as the Justice League and they pre-emptively take down their enemies (including in some cases, entire countries, planets, and even "God"), it just can't work in the DC universe without radically overhauling the concept.

One guy's take?

It fits pretty perfectly into a DC Universe that seemingly will not have a Justice League.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    One guy's take?

It fits pretty perfectly into a DC Universe that seemingly will not have a Justice League.
    Without a JL or even a JSA, sure.

Ultimate Member

I think The Authority could've worked in the main DCU but the creators/editors didn't commit to a unique twist on it. They just kept trying to do "Extreme JLA only boring". The book in my opinion could be a place for big crazy ideas, but you need folks with crazy imaginations to pull it off. But I do agree that it probably works better in it's own little corner.

As far as Ellis is concerned I think it's a non-issue. There's hardcore comics fans who don't know much about him, much less the general public.

Astonishing Member

I'm going to be honest, I'm not really feeling any of these. I think I'll have to see some trailers first.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I think The Authority could've worked in the main DCU but the creators/editors didn't commit to a unique twist on it. They just kept trying to do "Extreme JLA only boring". The book in my opinion could be a place for big crazy ideas, but you need folks with crazy imaginations to pull it off. But I do agree that it probably works better in it's own little corner.

As far as Ellis is concerned I think it's a non-issue. There's hardcore comics fans who don't know much about him, much less the general public.
    An issue with the Authority is where you go next. That's the main problem in the shared DCU.

When a powerful group that's willing to cross every line emerges, they're going to change the world. And it'll be radically different later. This could be worth exploring in its own series, but would likely have too much of an impact on other titles.

What does Batman do when the Authority exposed and executed corrupt officials in Gotham?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

I'm pretty convinced The Authority will end up having a "What's So Wrong With Truth Justice And The American Way" moment with Superman and end up being the villains that he shows there is a better way to do things and ultimately sets up Superman forming the Justice League as a response.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    An issue with the Authority is where you go next. That's the main problem in the shared DCU.

When a powerful group that's willing to cross every line emerges, they're going to change the world. And it'll be radically different later. This could be worth exploring in its own series, but would likely have too much of an impact on other titles.

What does Batman do when the Authority exposed and executed corrupt officials in Gotham?
    Exactly.

The Authority have sunk countries before and committed some pretty heinous stuff (all for the greater good).

The Authority only came to be because Stormwatch got wiped out. No way they can exist in the DCU without them being in a permanent state of conflict.
    Last edited by Username taken; 01-31-2023 at 07:52 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    I'm pretty convinced The Authority will end up having a "What's So Wrong With Truth Justice And The American Way" moment with Superman and end up being the villains that he shows there is a better way to do things and ultimately sets up Superman forming the Justice League as a response.
    It’s possible.

But it’ll be a waste of them if they go that route.

Ultimate Member

I think that's the other problem with the post Millar takes on the team, Ellis said that he was doing big budget action movies with his arcs and Milar was sorta, kinda doling satire, but unfortunately, many other creators think change the world superheroes means, "Superheroes beat everyone up win and rule the earth." If it were me, I'd go back to that crazy sci-fi vibe. I'd go back to " The Authority vs HP Lovecraft" "The Authority vs Fu Man Chu and his super-terrorists" and what not keep going from there.
    Last edited by ed2962; 01-31-2023 at 07:59 PM.

Ultimate Member

They wouldn't expose corrupt officials so much as execute them, but yeah.

Seems like putting the cart before the house. The Authority would be good villains/anti-heroes for after the League forms, not before.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    I think Authority is kind of brilliant. Would have I preferred a JSA film? Oh hell yes. But this is a good alternative.

Let's face it between WB's mismanagement of it and quality of the products the Justice League brand is tainted. Also, there is the Ezra question. If things work out with Flashpoint and Ezra keeps their nose clean and the public moves on from the scandals than Ezra can stay from a business point of view. But if Ezra is proven after Flashpoint to still be an issue than they get to do a Justice League type film with no Flash factor and let the character rest until another phase and reboot him.

I have a theory about Ezra.

All I've heard is that they are 'open to keeping him around'. That screams to me that they don't want to publicly commit either way until The Flash is released. After all, if they say they are going to part ways with Ezra before the movie even comes out, that may drive away some of the audience. Plus, Ezra might make a stink about doing press for the movie (not sure that would be a good idea anyway, but still...) So I'm thinking after The Flash comes out, Warner Bros will release a statement saying they have parted ways with Ezra

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Brave and the Bold

Can I just say how much the title doesn't fit? This sounds like a Batman and Robin movie, or Son of Batman, not the Brave and the Bold. If they wanted to call it Brave and the Bold they should've made it about Batman teaming-up with various heroes in one movie.

It does kind of feel funny to me how much this feels like the DCAMU starting off with Damian for their first Batman movie and probably introduce their take on the Batfamily in similar fashion (although they might not excise Jason like they did). I guess the question is if we'll see Dick as Nightwing in it and whether they want Babs as Oracle or Batgirl.

It is nice to know we'll finally have Batman and Robin on-film again after so long.

Paradise Lost

So we have confirmed movies with Batman and Superman while Wonder Woman loses her third film to get a prequel series...that she won't even be in. I mean, Gunn talks about the door being open to Gadot coming back but it really feels like they don't know what to do with Diana right now.

I guess this show will really tackle the idea that Themyscira was a Paradise if they're going the Game of Thrones route, but I hope they don't dwell too much on it and just have the Amazons sniping at each other and manipulating each other instead of...y'know, being a positive and idealized take on a society of women because men can't grasp that or we need to watch flawed (and sometimes unlikable) people. But that just might be me assuming the worst.

Booster Gold

This seems like a no-brainer. I wonder how much from Boosters' actual comic runs they'll draw from for this and whether we'll see some Justice League International characters (specifically Ted Kord) show up.

I get what you are saying, but unfortunately, they can't go with Batman and Robin as the title for obvious reasons, so it's the logical title to use.

It should also be noted that Gunn himself said that this wasn't the complete first slate- this is just the opening salvo. Plus, he said they were working on an 8 year roadmap for the DCU, so just because they didn't announce a new Wonder Woman movie, or a JSA movie, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't think I've ever been turned off a property so hard then when Gunn iterated, quite hard mind you, that outside of things like Teen Titans Go, EVERYTHING will be in the same universe and interconnected. Having some animated series have their own comic tie-ins? Okay. But I already don't like nor care for where most DC media is at. My main hope was always other takes. Now I don't even get that.

And what's this BS about Ezra Miller, of all people, being retained, when people like Cavill get screwed over?

Damian Wayne? I like the character, but the previous Robins sure as hell better be in there too.

The rest is "meh", until I saw Paradise Island, but Game of Thrones style! Who green lit this?
    I do agree about this being TOO interconnected. On one hand, if this eliminates embargos on characters, then I'm all for it. On the other hand, it may be too constricting to connect Movie AND TV AND video games. Of course, they could always do something different and put it out as and Elseworlds tale.

My feeling (that hasn't been confirmed) is that if Damian is there, then the rest of the Bat family is there as well, and will be introduced later.

I do wonder about that Game of Thrones comparison... I wonder if Gunn was talking about the visual aesthetic of the show more than what the content will be. But with a title like 'Paradise Lost', who knows? All I hope is that we get a live action Cassie Sandsmark.

Niffleheim

The only thing that has my interest is seeing Bruce as a father and Damian in live action the rest I'm definitely sure I'm not going to watch..
    "Dedra Meero is not just a woman in a men’s world, but a fascist in a world of fascists.” - Denise Gough