Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Reviresco View Post
    It's good to see something from the new crew ... but it sure leans into Morrison and King ... and the darker side of things.
    79in1q.jpg

Ugh, I'm with you on the Tom King apprehension.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Everybody who said Ellis would be a non-issue, you’re right. I thought people would be horrified by Ezra Miller, but no one seems to care about that. So, no one will care about Ellis.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Everybody who said Ellis would be a non-issue, you’re right. I thought people would be horrified by Ezra Miller, but no one seems to care about that. So, no one will care about Ellis.
    I think we won’t know the consensus on Miller until marketing for the movie starts up. Tabloids, trades, and gossip publications will go ham on him at the most critical moment

It’s a weird one, I think a lot of people will be willing to forgive him if rumours of a close friend’s death are true, but that doesn’t explain the grooming and other bits that took place prior to last year so idk.

Hopefully he’ll be recast by the end of the Flash movie, or that movie gets shifted out of the mainline DCU going forward

I’m overall quite nonplussed about this slate so far.

Excited for Superman, Lanterns, and Superwoman (interesting that we’re getting another Super kryptonian so early) but that’s it

Swamp Thing could be good, and The Authority as a film intrigues me, but it’s hard to know anything at the moment without directors attached so idk

All the rest is gump to me. Not a fan of Booster Gold, Creature Commandos isn’t exciting to me, both Walker and Paradise Lost just don’t appeal to me as I’m more interested in the characters they’re leaving out.

And another Batman movie. I just don’t need that in my life lmao

I have faith I’ll enjoy most of it, but yeah some of the choices are a bit baffling to me

And, as of yet, I don’t really see why this chapter is called Gods and Monsters

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I’m overall quite nonplussed about this slate so far.

Excited for Superman, Lanterns, and Superwoman (interesting that we’re getting another Super kryptonian so early) but that’s it

Swamp Thing could be good, and The Authority as a film intrigues me, but it’s hard to know anything at the moment without directors attached so idk

All the rest is gump to me. Not a fan of Booster Gold, Creature Commandos isn’t exciting to me, both Walker and Paradise Lost just don’t appeal to me as I’m more interested in the characters they’re leaving out.

And another Batman movie. I just don’t need that in my life lmao

I have faith I’ll enjoy most of it, but yeah some of the choices are a bit baffling to me

And, as of yet, I don’t really see why this chapter is called Gods and Monsters
    Creature Commandos are Monsters.

Swamp Thing would be considered a Monster by most in universe.

Authority could be considered Gods and Monsters given their powers and actions.

Superman & Supergirl are God like when compared to humans.

Waller may be human but is a monster who uses potential gods for her dirty work.

Paradise Lost is about the Amazon got their powers and island from the Gods.

Lanterns have God like powers to the causal observer given they can create stuff out of thing air.

Batman is considered a creature of the night by his foes and the public and Damian was raised by assassins another type monster.

The only project not to fit the mold is Booster Gold.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    The only project not to fit the mold is Booster Gold.
    Imposter Syndrome=False God?

It doesn't appear they are going for the very connected U like the MCU. The Authority and King's Supergirl seem very odd choices when you are building a Universe. The Authority in particular, you are introducing a whole set of supers that most of the public is unfamiliar with.
    Not saying any of these projects won't be good, just not a cohesive universe. Which is fine if that is not what they are trying for.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It doesn't appear they are going for the very connected U like the MCU. The Authority and King's Supergirl seem very odd choices when you are building a Universe. The Authority in particular, you are introducing a whole set of supers that most of the public is unfamiliar with.
    Not saying any of these projects won't be good, just not a cohesive universe. Which is fine if that is not what they are trying for.
    Except, Gunn specifically said it is his and Safran’s job to build a connected DC universe, across film, television, games and animation.

I agree that I don’t see how it’s connected, but Gunn said it all will be, more than ever, except for the movies existing in a separate fictional universe like Reeves’ and Phillips’ movies, which will be labeled Elseworlds, very clearly.

The other issue, which a couple people pointed out in a thread on the DC comics forum here, is that we’re starting again with a whole set of stories and movies just creating this “instant” fictional universe. This is not my original observation, but I can see how it might be a problem. Wasn’t that a problem with the Snyderverse? There was no slow build-up into the story and creation of the old DCEU. They created all of the old DCEU in three movies. Doesn’t Gunn run the same risk with a Batman and Damian movie right out of the gate?

I guess we’ll see. I’m just asking questions. I don’t mean to be so hypercritical of Gunn before any of his new DC work has even been filmed. I’m going to give these movies a chance. I liked the Snyderverse, but I wasn’t attached to it, I didn’t love it. I’m happy to see a fresh start. We’ll see how it all shakes out.

At least we’re going to get a lot of Batman-related movies. It will be interesting to see all these interpretations. I wonder if there’s any chance they get Pattinson to play Batman in the Brave and the Bold movie, too. That would be interesting — the same guy playing two different Batmen.

There's be no point in getting Pastonson I'd he's not playing the same Batman from his other films, so that's definitely not going to happen.

As for the announcements, I'm very interested in all of them. I'll likely be more or less excited as we get more news on casting, directors, etc. But for now, I'm optimistic.

I disagree about Woman of Tomorrow. It feels like a solo film and you could see Kara just popping up on Earth for the next team up. It would work better as a sequel than the first outing but I see Gunn's reasoning. He's skipping the origin stories for the characters we know.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-01-2023 at 08:01 AM.

I get that there will be one DCU, but the movies don't sound like a single narrative like Marvel did, especially leading to Endgame. It looks more like the Silver or Bronze Age DC, where there wasn't a focus on continuity between titles.

The Authority seems like a strange choice when you are building a Universe. They were never meant to be part of the DCU.

I am not saying any of these are bad choices, or will be bad movies, just how the overall agenda looks.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 02-01-2023 at 08:15 AM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I get that there will be one DCU, but the movies don't sound like a single narrative like Marvel did, especially leading to Endgame. It looks more like the Silver or Bronze Age DC, where there wasn't a focus on continuity between titles.

The Authority seems like a strange choice when you are building a Universe. They were never meant to be part of the DCU.

I am not saying any of these are bad choices, or will be bad movies, just how the overall agenda looks.
    That might be better because long term stories can fall apart over time. That happens with a lot of tv show seasons and most shonen anime.

Gunn said that these aren't all the film announcements for phase 1. So maybe part 2 would showcase the plan. A big problem with Snyderverse was that his plan was too rigid and Warner Bros kept trying to change the plan and doing it poorly.

I agree about Authority and think Wildstorm is better seperate from DC but I'm the same way about Milestone and the Sandman too.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-01-2023 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Waller may be human but is a monster who uses potential gods for her dirty work.
    I'm really tired of this take on Waller.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm really tired of this take on Waller.
    Agreed. There's not been a good live action Waller yet.

Not counting Person of Interest

Extraordinary Member

Sounds mostly meh or bad. Authority? GOT Amazons? Whew....I could see Chris Pratt playing Booster Gold. I'd probably watch that.