Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    They’re totally going to cancel this entire slate after the second film doesn’t do a billion aren’t they?
    Possibly. But WB did wait a while with the Snyderverse. It wasn't until BvS that the whole thing began to crumble. Prior to that I think WB was still optimistic, although they had begun to interfere, to my understanding.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

They’re totally going to cancel this entire slate after the second film doesn’t do a billion aren’t they?
    No...They will just put them all on Tubi...

Quote Originally Posted by marvelprince View Post
    That’s literally her whole deal. What would you prefer to see? Heroic Waller?
    More like Ostrander Waller. She was still hard and strict, but she still had a heart and wasn't a complete monster.
    That would be a pretty big get.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I do wonder if DC will be able to adjust if one of their movies doesn't perform to expectations

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, I do wonder if DC will be able to adjust if one of their movies doesn't perform to expectations
    The thing is, WB Discovery has so much debt, and their stock price doing so badly, Safran and Gunn could produce nothing but hits, and it still might not be enough. At least they might be able to increase the value of the IP.

Really excited about Superman and also the Creature Commandos! So cool that they’re using Morrison version of Frankenstein and the Bride.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    More like Ostrander Waller. She was still hard and strict, but she still had a heart and wasn't a complete monster.

That would be a pretty big get.
    Yeah it’s unfortunate that the modern version of Waller is pretty much a straight up villain. Ostrander’s version had nuance, an interesting backstory, and despite her questionable acts was still way more good than evil.

I’m hoping we get that version of Amanda Waller.
    Last edited by Robotman; 02-01-2023 at 08:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    The other question in this which is kind of big actually. Will WB/Discovery give him the budgets he needs? I mean these TV shows will need some money. A Green lantern show, I expect special effects. He says its True detective mystery, and terrestrial. Does that mean cheap detective work with light GL effects?

Paradise lost would need some money too. It has to still look as good as we have seen the Amazons so far in WW.

Waller you can get away with a Peacemaker s2 budget. It actually sounds like that sort of using peacemaker characters.

Authority will have to be pretty expensive I would think and as others have said. If they stay realistic to the comics, Midnighter/Apollo will limit box office because of the homophobia factor right off the bat in some countries. They flip out at even the most tame same sex stories. I think it would be a cop out to water down the relationship so hopefully they don't.

You really wont be able to judge the new direction until Superman. Shazam, and Blue Beetle can flop and it not be his fault really since they seem so far developed. And we all know Flash and Aquaman are way into development.
    Honestly?

I don't worry about that half as much as I worry about just how "Inside Baseball..." that set of characters was even for folks who were reading Wildstorm comics at the time.

I mean, just where Apollo/Midnighter came from is pretty zonked if you are just John/Jane Public.

"Well, they are both survivors of a 'Failsafe...' team that a mad scientist cooked up because he was too paranoid to trust the main team..."

I'll be surprised if more than 3 see the light of day.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well isn't WB the elephant in the room here? They are still in charge and can still force unwise course changes at will like they did with the Snyderverse.

My main concern with this is that you need hits to fend off WB's interference. Huge hits. Marvel style hits. And the characters and themes being chosen just don't lend themselves to blockbuster hits. Not in and of themselves.

Don't get me wrong, because GotG was an unexpected hit for me, in spite of the same reservations. But prior to that movie, the MCU had started with the classic stuff and built that first.

Everyone's big problem with Snyderverse seemed to be that the characters were unrecognizeable.
    It’s hard to say regarding WB’s effect on all this

It’s a new regime under the Discovery people, and DC is allegedly its own studio now - so that should mean Gunn and co have as much freedom as Feige at Marvel.

Unfortunately, the top brass haven’t made it easy to predict their moves in this last year following all the cancellations haha

Still flying

What if the Lanterns show is the first step in the DCU and is a "True Detective" type show where they are investigating anomalies on Earth or in a small town because it is alien related and that then feeds to Superman: Legacy? Which means Lanterns is the new DCU origin story of Superman. Maybe that is where they are taking all these "obscure" titles and introducing well known characters but making it less obvious so that we are surprised and then announce the big "Justice League" type show which in my opinion should be Kingdom Come.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Can’t say that I’m excited about any single announced project. But maybe that will change.

Back at the beginning of the MCU, I never thought I’d be excited for an Ant-Man movie.
    My thought as well. I never in a million years would have imagined any interest in a Peacemaker series or even a Guardians of the Galaxy movie based on that particular line-up, and they were a hoot. Sometimes Gunn knows better what I'm going to like than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by DjMichael691 View Post
    What if the Lanterns show is the first step in the DCU and is a "True Detective" type show where they are investigating anomalies on Earth or in a small town because it is alien related and that then feeds to Superman: Legacy? Which means Lanterns is the new DCU origin story of Superman. Maybe that is where they are taking all these "obscure" titles and introducing well known characters but making it less obvious so that we are surprised and then announce the big "Justice League" type show which in my opinion should be Kingdom Come.
    I wonder what Gunn meant by the True Detective comparison. Does he mean it’s going to be anthology-like season to season, with different Lanterns on a different case each season? Or did Gunn mean the Lanterns would face off against a Cthulhuian menace in the first season? I could see True Detectives-style working with Hal as Woody Harrelson and Green Arrow Ollie as Matthew McConaughey, but I don’t see the same Odd Couple pairing in Hal and John. They’re both kind of a couple of squares. Who’s the crazy one? As it will be a cartoon, I assume Gunn did not mean we’d get gratuitous sex scenes with Alexandra Daddario, which might be unfortunate depending on your perspective. I don’t see how an animated show can replicate the best out-of-control, undercover-cops-gone-rogue action scenes, like the one at this link, since To Live and Die in LA, either. I mean, I know it is Gunn, but is a Green Lantern cartoon really going to be this (below) intense and good?

The rest of the seasons sucked, but Gunn comparing his cartoon to True Detective sets the bar awfully high, because no one thinks of anything but season one when you say True Detective.
    Last edited by Brian B; 02-02-2023 at 08:49 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I wonder what Gunn meant by the True Detective comparison. Does he mean it’s going to be anthology-like season to season, with different Lanterns on a different case each season? Or did Gunn mean the Lanterns would face off against a Cthulhuian menace in the first season? I could see True Detectives-style working with Hal as Woody Harrelson and Green Arrow Ollie as Matthew McConaughey, but I don’t see the same Odd Couple pairing in Hal and John. They’re both kind of a couple of squares. Who’s the crazy one? As it will be a cartoon, I assume Gunn did not mean we’d get gratuitous sex scenes with Alexandra Daddario, which might be unfortunate depending on your perspective. I don’t see how an animated show can replicate the best out-of-control, undercover-cops-gone-rogue action scenes, like the one at this link, since To Live and Die in LA, either. I mean, I know it is Gunn, but is a Green Lantern cartoon really going to be this, below, intense and good?

The rest of the seasons sucked, but Gunn comparing his cartoon to True Detective sets the bar awfully high, because no one thinks of anything but season one when you say True Detective.
    Lanterns is supposed to be live action according to the announcement?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I wonder what Gunn meant by the True Detective comparison. Does he mean it’s going to be anthology-like season to season, with different Lanterns on a different case each season? Or did Gunn mean the Lanterns would face off against a Cthulhuian menace in the first season? I could see True Detectives-style working with Hal as Woody Harrelson and Green Arrow Ollie as Matthew McConaughey, but I don’t see the same Odd Couple pairing in Hal and John. They’re both kind of a couple of squares. Who’s the crazy one? As it will be a cartoon, I assume Gunn did not mean we’d get gratuitous sex scenes with Alexandra Daddario, which might be unfortunate depending on your perspective. I don’t see how an animated show can replicate the best out-of-control, undercover-cops-gone-rogue action scenes, like the one at this link, since To Live and Die in LA, either. I mean, I know it is Gunn, but is a Green Lantern cartoon really going to be this (below) intense and good?

I saw some speculation they might end up dealing with The Center, ala New Frontier.

Modern Hal isn't really much of a square.

Well if its modeled after the Morrison stuff on GL, you better buckle your seatbelt and eat your Wheaties. The first big arc started with the lanterns interrogating a disgusting spider-alien and ended with a reset of the entire universe (which got put back to rights in the next arc). And believe it or not it felt very much like a detective comic.

It was True Detective in the sense of grim and gritty, with precincts and other cop show atmospheric settings.

Funny thing about this setting - it makes Hal seem downright heroic even when he's being jerky old Hal.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-02-2023 at 09:47 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.