Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Lanterns is supposed to be live action according to the announcement?
    I thought it was supposed to be animated. My bad — I am sorry for the misinformation. Okay, maybe gratuitous Alexandria Daddario would work for the new Lantern series, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    …Modern Hal isn't really much of a square.
    I think squaresville is the essence of Hal’s character, even when they make him all edgy and bad, seeking to undue the damage to Coast City or making him a Black Lantern. He’s still Hal, pilot, officer and all-around real American hero-type.
    Last edited by Brian B; 02-02-2023 at 10:05 AM.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I am a bit worried about the idea that all the content needs to line up including the video games. Hoping this doesn’t mess with anything Rocksteady and the like might work on post Suicide Squad.

Extraordinary Member

A few random thoughts.

Some of the stuff sounds very on brand for James Gun (like Authority, Creature Commandos) but I'm skeptical if have the brought appeal DC needs.

I think they should have made clean cut and axed all DCEU realted stuff including Waller and Peacemaker, or at least keep that out of the new Universe they are building.

I really skeptical I they can do Green Lantern on the budget of a streaming show.

I'm not a fan of having Clark just start as Superman while Bruce is allready old enough to have Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    I am a bit worried about the idea that all the content needs to line up including the video games. Hoping this doesn’t mess with anything Rocksteady and the like might work on post Suicide Squad.
    Yeah, I also am worried about that

Does he mean movie tie in games, which (for good reason) have pretty much gone extinct? Or cheaper, mobile games? Neither of which will have time or budget to make anything particularly ground breaking

Or are these supposed to be like triple A games, which these days take the best part of a decade to complete? If so, what happens if/when things get shifted around and we get a Lobo game set between the events of the first Lobo film and it’s sequel, but the first Lobo film doesn’t get made, OR gets heavily delayed? Will a film have to be delayed because a game needs more time?

Even if it’s successful, how connected will these games be? I don’t think the vast majority of movie-goers are video game fans, so how vital can these games be to a character’s journey?

Don’t even get me started on the unnecessary pressure it’ll put on developers and voice actors in the industry

I think this is the only part of Gunn’s plan I’m 100% doubtful of. It sounds like a bit of a pipe dream, and reeks of someone not really understanding how the gaming industry works.

Incredible Member

DCU Video Games Will Fill In Gaps Between Movies Like SUPERMAN: LEGACY And SUPERGIRL: WOMAN OF TOMORROW

Talking to DC.com, Gunn offered new insights into how games will factor into plans for "Chapter 1: Gods and Monsters."

"It's not like we're going to have the Superman movie come out and have this Superman game come out, the DC Studios co-CEO explains. "It's more like we'll have the Superman film come out, then maybe two years later, we have the Supergirl movie coming out. So, what's the story in between there?"

"Is there a Krypto game that we can play that comes in between them? Something that's still set in the world with these characters, but is its own thing. We want to give the prominence to games that they deserve."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    I think squaresville is the essence of Hal’s character, even when they make him all edgy and bad, seeking to undue the damage to Coast City or making him a Black Lantern. He’s still Hal, pilot, officer and all-around real American hero-type.
    My initial experience with Hal was Geoff Johns, New Frontier, and GL:TAS and he didn't come off as a "square" to me, but your mileage may vary.
    I'd rather we get more independent, standalone, games.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    A few random thoughts.

Some of the stuff sounds very on brand for James Gun (like Authority, Creature Commandos) but I'm skeptical if have the brought appeal DC needs.

I think they should have made clean cut and axed all DCEU realted stuff including Waller and Peacemaker, or at least keep that out of the new Universe they are building.

I really skeptical I they can do Green Lantern on the budget of a streaming show.

I'm not a fan of having Clark just start as Superman while Bruce is allready old enough to have Damian.
    What I forgott that Tom King and Grant Morrison seem to be main influences on what they are doing has me really worried.

The other issue, which a couple people pointed out in a thread on the DC comics forum here, is that we’re starting again with a whole set of stories and movies just creating this “instant” fictional universe. This is not my original observation, but I can see how it might be a problem. Wasn’t that a problem with the Snyderverse? There was no slow build-up into the story and creation of the old DCEU. They created all of the old DCEU in three movies. Doesn’t Gunn run the same risk with a Batman and Damian movie right out of the gate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well isn't WB the elephant in the room here? They are still in charge and can still force unwise course changes at will like they did with the Snyderverse.

My main concern with this is that you need hits to fend off WB's interference. Huge hits. Marvel style hits. And the characters and themes being chosen just don't lend themselves to blockbuster hits. Not in and of themselves.

Don't get me wrong, because GotG was an unexpected hit for me, in spite of the same reservations. But prior to that movie, the MCU had started with the classic stuff and built that first.

Everyone's big problem with Snyderverse seemed to be that the characters were unrecognizeable.
    The thing with Snyder is, Man of Steel was NOT supposed to be the first movie kicking off a new, interconnected universe. Green Lantern was meant to be the first. But then that movie bombed, and Man of Steel became the new starting point, with GL only ever mentioned when Ryan Reynolds mocks it in Deadpool.

The thing is, even if Green Lantern had been the starting point, I still don't think there would have been a slow build. I remember scratching my head when the original slate was released, with Aquaman, Flash, and Cyborg all getting their solo films AFTER Justice League came out. And that, I think, is all Warner Brothers. They wanted their shared universe like Marvel had, but they didn't want to invest in the time to do it properly. They kept giving Snyder the keys to the kingdom- only to yank them away during editing. They seemed to be constantly disappointed that his movies weren't successful enough, but they kept going back to him anyway.

Gun and Safran have said they are mapping out an 8-10 year plan, and that's great. We can only hope that WB learned from their mistakes with Snyder and keep their interference to a minimum (but who really expects that?).

Quote Originally Posted by Fridays View Post
    I have tried to stay away from this whole.... James Gunn is taking over DC. I wish the news will just fade away. There is nothing this man can be bring to DC that will feel new or original.

What I will like is for DC not to make another comic film for about 15-20 years before a hard reboot. Believe me, fans can wait. We waited 13 years for Avatar sequel that was a first and original franchise. Surely we can wait 20 years for a DC reboot. it would have been great since MCU would have killed the genre within those 20 years, giving DC a good chance to kick start it again.

So let me get this straight. You NEVER want DC to make another film about Superman, Batman, Robin, wonderwoman. I say this because all these properties will be in public domain in 11, 12, 13 and 15 years.

Superman would enter the public domain on Jan. 1, 2034.
    Batman on Jan. 1, 2035.
    Wonder Woman on Jan. 1, 2037.

So you don't want DC making films with them until anyone can using elements present in their myths as originally written.

Sure that's very likely.

As it stand 2025 only really gives them 11 years to work thru a franchise on Superman without having others use character aspects (like origin from Krypton, raised in Kansas, works as a journalist at daily planet)

What I forgott that Tom King and Grant Morrison seem to be main influences on what they are doing has me really worried.
    Get ready for some incredibly emotional trauma and possible war crimes!

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, he's always been a pretty pro-establishment character (which is def saying something as far as superheroes are concerned). New Frontier was an exception, though, which (not so coincidentally) is probably the only version I ever really liked.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

that Tom King and Grant Morrison seem to be main influences on what they are doing has me really worried.
    I love Morrison, so what worries me is that King is not so like Grant Morrison (despite King claiming to love Morrison, as most writers do). King is more in the Scott Snyder vein, post-COIE grim n gritty, "bleeding onto the page" as traumatized PTSD'd King once described it. Morrison's end to Batman Inc is (secretly) somewhat a subtle jab against Snyder, King, and (less secretly, more overtly) the post-COIE grim n gritty that Batman keeps regressively falling back into in comics/media. Morrison basically admits defeat on trying to change things.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-03-2023 at 12:20 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Yah it is a strange thing to try and meld Morrison storytelling together with a guy like King. Morrison is the guy who was influenced by the wacky 1960s Batman stories and who had perhaps the most together and true-to-form version of Dick Grayson we have ever seen, at least since the Wolfman New Teen Titans run. King flat out turned Dick Grayson into Grimdark Dick and killed Alfred in the name of creating pain and trauma for Batman. Blech.

Morrison's stories were always very positive for the character, of Batman I felt, and he tended to make just the villains into the guys dealing with lots of pain and trauma. King gives everyone PTSD and makes them basket-cases. Batman has trauma, no doubt, but the whole point of his dressing up as a bat and doing his thing is that it is an effective coping mechanism.

And Snyder, lol. He cranked the Grimdark up to 11, though he was more positive than King by far.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-03-2023 at 01:54 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JBatmanFan05 View Post
    I love Morrison, so what worries me is that King is not so like Grant Morrison (despite King claiming to love Morrison, as most writers do). King is more in the Scott Snyder vein, post-COIE grim n gritty, "bleeding onto the page" as traumatized PTSD'd King once described it. Morrison's end to Batman Inc is (secretly) somewhat a subtle jab against Snyder, King, and (less secretly, more overtly) the post-COIE grim n gritty that Batman keeps regressively falling back into in comics/media. Morrison basically admits defeat on trying to change things.
    I think Morrisons stuff is just to wired and convoluted for a main stream movie.
    They could use it as a basis but I think they will have to do a pretty loose adaptation.