Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Not to mention the obvious drama between Batman being probably classic "does not kill" Batman and Damian being "killing is my first option."
    Precisely.

Again, I must reiterate, I love how the message of Damian's origin story can be that "Bruce Wayne can save a troubled kid from himself by showing him how to channelize his rage in a positive direction", as opposed to the message of Tim's (and sometimes Dick's) origin story being that "Bruce Wayne needs a teenage kid to pull himself back from the abyss and stay in control".

It makes Bruce the adult in the room (or cave), not some out-of-control psychopath who needs a kid to keep him in line.

Say what you will about the late Joel Schumacher, he did a pretty good job with this in Batman Forever - Kilmer's Bruce may have his issues, but he's a relatively sorted out and mature Batman who counsels Dick against being consumed by vengeance with the benefit of his own experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Precisely.

Again, I must reiterate, I love how the message of Damian's origin story can be that "Bruce Wayne can save a troubled kid from himself by showing him how to channelize his rage in a positive direction", as opposed to the message of Tim's (and sometimes Dick's) origin story being that "Bruce Wayne needs a teenage kid to pull himself back from the abyss and stay in control".

It makes Bruce the adult in the room (or cave), not some out-of-control psychopath who needs a kid to keep him in line.
    The way I see it, Dick and especially Tim made Bruce emotionally and psychologically capable enough to save Damian. Otherwise we saw what happened with Jason.

Say what you will about the late Joel Schumacher, he did a pretty good job with this in Batman Forever - Kilmer's Bruce may have his issues, but he's a relatively sorted out and mature Batman who counsels Dick against being consumed by vengeance with the benefit of his own experience.
    The Schumacher films are underappreciated and should be recognised as camp classics alongside the likes of the 60's show but the man and his writers Ctrl +C/Ctrl + V-ed the BTAS Emmy nominated Robin's Reckoning two-parter storyline for Dick and his dynamics with Bruce.

Precisely.

I think it's worth pointing out that Dick did a lot of the heavy lifting in smoothing Damians' rough edges, not that Bruce didn't contribute in the New 52, but Dick was a huge part of Damians' character development.

Although it would be kind of funny if there's remnants of a Lonely Place of Dying where we got a grumpy Batman who doesn't want a partner who gets a Robin that basically forces himself into his life, albeit with a completely different characterization and reasoning.

I also just want to point out that Bruce was not some out-of-control psychopath during Tim's debut, he was just off his game and pushing himself too hard without any help.

Spectacular Member agentofthebat's Avatar

Still on the fence about this movie and the reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Beantownbrown View Post
    He's good with directing child actors and I've enjoyed every one of his movies/shots [that I've seen] aside from Attack on Titan.

Good for him!

Astonishing Member

Not giving any spoilers here, but based on his handling of Ben Affleck and Michael Keaton's Batmans (Batmen?) in The Flash, I think he's the right guy for the job. The evolution of Batfleck in The Flash in particular is a lot like what I'd want the new Gunnverse/DCU Batman to be like.

I wonder if they'll cast a POC for Damian and Talia this time
    Not that it matters or anything DC has a very spotty record when it comes to the al ghul family

Astonishing Member

If we take into account The Flash box office and Cinemascore, it's not guaranteed WBD will keep Muschietti.

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    Not that it matters or anything DC has a very spotty record when it comes to the al ghul family
    The time they got them right was on GOTHAM.

I hope they stick to that this time around.

Astonishing Member

Have always been them more as being 'racially ambiguous' in the comics...so really anything goes.

Well, Ra's I can see having mixed European and Middle Eastern ancestry. While I've always seen Talia as being mostly Caucasian (obviously with a bit of her father's Middle Eastern ancestry). Wasn't her mother European?

By that logic, Damian would actually be mostly Caucasian, with only one non-white grandparent (who himself was mixed-race).

By POC actors for Talia and Damian you mean actors who are both Middle Eastern and Chinese?

It's tricky. I can't think of any working actors with that exact mix. Damian would also require someone who is half European because it would be unfair to disregard that part of his ancestry.

Anyone got any fancasts suggestions that match the characters exact canon ancestry . We do want to be accurate to comics.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty View Post
    The time they got them right was on GOTHAM.

I hope they stick to that this time around.
    I don't think there are that many good actors who are that exact Middle Eastern/Chinese/European mix out there.

If there's such a gem then great but personally I want a good actor doesn't matter if they are green skinned and of martian heritage. The performance should be the deciding factor especially in cases where fans asking for comic accuracy are practically asking for the impossible.

Have always been them more as being 'racially ambiguous' in the comics...so really anything goes.

Well, Ra's I can see having mixed European and Middle Eastern ancestry. While I've always seen Talia as being mostly Caucasian (obviously with a bit of her father's Middle Eastern ancestry). Wasn't her mother European?

By that logic, Damian would actually be mostly Caucasian, with only one non-white grandparent (who himself was mixed-race).
    Talia's mum was Chinese.