Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Brave and the Bold (DCU Batman & Robin reboot)

So what will their own version of Batman look like? According to Gunn and Safran, the DCU Batman will be based on Grant Morrison's run with the series, which featured Batman's son Damian Wayne as a deadly protége trained by the League of Assassins.

"So this is the introduction of the DCU's Batman. It is not Robert Pattinson. It is not Ben Affleck," Gunn said. "[T]his is a story of Damian Wayne, who is Batman's actual son, who we didn't know existed for the first eight to 10 years of his life. He was raised as a little murderer and assassin. He's a little son of a bitch. He's my favorite Robin. It's based on the Grant Morrison comic book run, which is one of my favorite Batman runs. And we are putting that all together right now."

"This is obviously a feature film, and it's going to feature other members of the extended Bat-Family," Safran continued. "Just because we feel like they've been left out of the Batman stories in the theater for far too long."
    https://www.ign.com/articles/the-bat...e-and-the-bold

I must say, starting with a Robin and an already existing Batfam seems like a good way to differentiate the DCU Batman from the Pattinson version. I’m guessing we’ll see Nightwing and maybe Oracle.
    Last edited by Holt; 01-31-2023 at 01:20 PM.

So hopefully we finally get a full Batfam in the films with all FIVE Robins and all 3 Batgirls

Damian is an interesting choice because he hasn't become an adult in canon. Currently he's 14 so we would be in uncharted territory. Unlike the comics his actor would age out the role pretty fast. So I could see them just doing the Harry Potter thing where he's older in each appearance.

So I'm curious where it goes. I'm hoping Helena pops up as I'm fond of John's take in JSA.

I'm fine with skipping Dick's time as Robin. He didn't interest me as much as Jason or Tim. But I rather use them instead of Damian.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-31-2023 at 01:27 PM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Big promotion for Damian indeed. I'm surprised. Hopefully we'll get some sort of international actor for Damian, because I think he needs an accent, perhaps a mixed British-ish one. I believe he was educated like a wealthy Western aristocrat, he always clearly sounded like one given how Grant wrote him.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Pretty great news in my eyes, I've always thought a movie set latter in Batman's career could easily work and be the best way to get an extended bat-family on screen.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Extraordinary Member

While I'm no fan of the character, it would be nice if they at least cast an actor that reflects his Arabic and Chinese ethnicity in addition to Bruce's waspy side.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    it would be nice if they at least cast an actor that reflects his Arabic and Chinese ethnicity in addition to Bruce's waspy side.
    Yeah, you say well my sentiment on casting him. Gotta capture some of that waspy/aristocratic side.

I figure it will perhaps be nearly impossible to find a suitable actor that perfectly checks off Damian's many boxes. So I figure we'll have to understand that.
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 01-31-2023 at 02:00 PM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

When Gunn was first announced I did think for a brief moment, if anyone could do the Morrison run, it could actually be him. Incredible to see it announced. It’s a style of Batman on film that is looong overdue, the perfect foil to the miserable black hole the films have become stuck in, bringing in bat family and pulp adventure and fresh stories in one swoop. Ninja Man-Bats. Alarming twist
    Last edited by nepenthes; 01-31-2023 at 02:24 PM.
    Potion or drug bringing welcome forgetfulness; genus of tropical carnivorous plant

Mighty Member

I'll wait to see if this movie happens but I'm glad that it going to be with the establish Bat-family.

Can I just say how much the title doesn't fit? This sounds like a Batman and Robin movie, or Son of Batman, not the Brave and the Bold. If they wanted to call it Brave and the Bold they should've made it about Batman teaming-up with various heroes in one movie.

It does kind of feel funny to me how much this feels like the DCAMU starting off with Damian for their first Batman movie and probably introduce their take on the Batfamily in similar fashion (although they might not excise Jason like they did). I guess the question is if we'll see Dick as Nightwing in it and whether they want Babs as Oracle or Batgirl.

It is nice to know we'll finally have Batman and Robin on-film again after so long.

It's pretty funny how the most iconic run of Batman and Robin that features Damian doesn't even have Bruce.
    Almost all of the images that are being used to talk about this movie have Dick on the cover.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    It's pretty funny how the most iconic run of Batman and Robin that features Damian doesn't even have Bruce.
    Almost all of the images that are being used to talk about this movie have Dick on the cover.
    Granted it wouldn't be that hard to get some images from Tomasi/Gleason's Batman and Robin which is the main BrucexDamian run.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Granted it wouldn't be that hard to get some images from Tomasi/Gleason's Batman and Robin which is the main BrucexDamian run.
    They are probably googling "batman and robin grant morrison".
    I doubt the person writing the press release even knows the story anyways, so i don't blame them.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Surprising, but very happy about it. The Batfamily is one of the best things about Batman but the movies can never quite get to it. So to just start with it, yes please. At this point general audiences have enough understanding that they won't be lost.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-31-2023 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Surprising, but very happy about it. The Batfamily is one of the best things about Batman but the movies can never quite get to it. So to just start with it, yes please. At this point general audiences have enough understanding that they won't be lost.
    We did literally get a Batfamily game, although the execution was mixed .