Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Red Robin is a terrible name. Red is Jason’s color and it’s not a clean enough break from Robin to really stand on its own. Tim and his fans are still sitting around pining for the good old days when he was the One True Robin, but those days are over. He will never be the default Robin again so he has to become something else. Otherwise he’ll just be the token gay in the Batfamily they trot out for Pride specials.

Damian was my first Robin and I’m very happy to see him getting adapted outside of comics on the big screen. Great turnaround from where they were planning to go with him for 5G.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Red Robin is a terrible name. Red is Jason’s color and it’s not a clean enough break from Robin to really stand on its own. Tim and his fans are still sitting around pining for the good old days when he was the One True Robin, but those days are over. He will never be the default Robin again so he has to become something else. Otherwise he’ll just be the token gay in the Batfamily they trot out for Pride specials.

Damian was my first Robin and I’m very happy to see him getting adapted outside of comics on the big screen. Great turnaround from where they were planning to go with him for 5G.
    Oh, I forgot about him being gay now (but wait, surely he's bisexual? What about his relationship with Stephanie Brown?)

But yeah, Tim being the 'gay' Robin isn't enough to make him stand out.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Oh, I forgot about him being gay now (but wait, surely he's bisexual? What about his relationship with Stephanie Brown?)

Media doesn’t like heteronormative relationship with lgbt couples

We don't really know what Gunn is planning, but it makes sense to skip Tim for Damain.

With Dick being the first Robin and Jason being dead, you have one success and one failure for Bruce. So it make it more compelling to ask if Bruce can learn with both experiences and make it Damian into another success. And with Damian being his biological and a trained assassin it makes even harder for him than it was with Jason at the time.

But if Tim is already established, you know he can do it again, it's just a matter of time.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    We don't really know what Gunn is planning, but it makes sense to skip Tim for Damain.

With Dick being the first Robin and Jason being dead, you have one success and one failure for Bruce. So it make it more compelling to ask if Bruce can learn with both experiences and make it Damian into another success. And with Damian being his biological and a trained assassin it makes even harder for him than it was with Jason at the time.

But if Tim is already established, you know he can do it again, it's just a matter of time.
    You could add Tim and Steph to the We Are Robin group. They are kids that pop up as wannabee robins and Damian designed to mold them into a group. Or they could be kids who prefer Dick as Robin and seek to be more like him.

The Titans are more likely to be used but We Are Robin are a faster way to bring in the other Robins and turn the narrative towards them.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-05-2023 at 06:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    You could add Tim and Steph to the We Are Robin group. They are kids that pop up as wannabee robins and Damian designed to mold them into a group. Or they could be kids who prefer Dick as Robin and seek to be more like him.

The Titans are more likely to be used but We Are Robin are a faster way to bring in the other Robins and turn the narrative towards them.
    We Are Robin could be a cool place to put him, i can see Tim, Steph and Duke to being the protagonist of a Series. I don't think they fit into a movie because they have too many characters.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    As a character Tim is done. Movies are using Damian, his new ongoing is tanking, GK seems to have flopped, it won’t be long before they give Damian the Robin book back in the comics.
    People keep saying that back during Damian's last major push yet Tim still sticks around anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    The problem here is that no one wanted to use Tim as anything more than a sidekick, and this was expressed as something conceptually right or good. And that's the price character is paying.
    Now the only hope is that Gunn will not forget about Tim, and he will offer some kind of development for him, with which he will appear in DCU. Otherwise, yeah, he's done, since the franchise is going to use Damian as main Robin.
    Even though we're ironically getting Damian introduced as Bruce's sidekick.
    I didn't know about his series tanking. But its like I said earlier - Tim is pretty redundant as a character now. Dick is the original Robin (and the one general audiences would be most aware of), the one associated with the Titans and the one who grew into his own as Nightwing. Jason is the former Robin who died and then came back as the villan/anti-hero Red Hood. Damian is the current Robin, and Bruce's biological son with Talia al Ghul, with homicidal tendencies. Where's the simple logline for Tim?

In the comics, his function as a character was to be the new Robin since Dick was Nightwing and Jason was dead. But now there is another new Robin with a more compelling hook. Tim as Red Robin is a very watered down version of Dick as Nightwing and isn't really true to his character - Tim's whole deal was that "Batman needs Robin". Filling that gap was fundamental to his raison d'etre and now that gap is filled by another character. The only other option for him is making him Nightwing-lite and even that hasn't worked out.

I actually think the best thing for Tim would be to give him a happy ending and have him be the one 'kid' of Bruce Wayne's who gets out of costume and goes on to do something else with his life! Have him become a billionaire tycoon and/or a tech guru in his own right. Keep him around as a supporting character in that capacity perhaps, with the occasional return to superheroics when needed. But I think of all the Robins, Tim's the one where it makes perfect sense for him to hang up the tights for good.
    I think arguably Tim plays off Bruce better as Robin than Damian does. Even Morrison emphasized Tim being Bruce's partner while Damian was Dick's.

I feel like lumping Steph into WAR without adapting her as Spoiler meeting Tim as Robin doesn't work quite as well.

We Are Robin could be a cool place to put him, i can see Tim, Steph and Duke to being the protagonist of a Series. I don't think they fit into a movie because they have too many characters.
    They would start out as foils for Damian. That makes it easier to manage a large group. It also gives them a shared introduction. So you would spin off some of them into other projects.

For example, Nando v movies rewrote Birds of Prey with Steph.

Unlike the comics these characters are gonna age out the legacy roles. So We Are Robin allows you to scout Damian's successor or build Tim up as a foil.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-05-2023 at 11:23 AM.

Extraordinary Member

They could also completely skip Jason and Tim like they did with the animated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    They could also completely skip Jason and Tim like they did with the animated movies.
    Jason I can see them at least keeping as the 2nd Robin because it's not that hard to incorporate his death and have that build up to a possible future Red Hood appearance.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Jason I can see them at least keeping as the 2nd Robin because it's not that hard to incorporate his death and have that build up to a possible future Red Hood appearance.
    If King and Morrison are there main inspirations I really hope they skip Jason...

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Media doesn’t like heteronormative relationship with lgbt couples
    And on the flip side, some people also like to ignore the fact that gay people exist that have been in straight relationships and even marriages before coming out to themselves and to others. Bisexual people are valid. Pan/Omni/Ace/etc people are valid. Gays/Lesbians that have dated or even married the opposite gender and came to grips with their sexuality later on in life are also valid.

But that's a whole other discussion.

As far as Tim Drake goes, he seems to be bi(or anything under the umbrella of being attracted to more than one gender) unless he ever says different.

They would start out as foils for Damian. That makes it easier to manage a large group. It also gives them a shared introduction. So you would spin off some of them into other projects.

For example, Nando v movies rewrote Birds of Prey with Steph.

Unlike the comics these characters are gonna age out the legacy roles. So We Are Robin allows you to scout Damian's successor or build Tim up as a foil.

What they did to Cassandra Cain in that movie was a tremendous disservice to the character. They could have saved it by having her kill Black Mask at the end when he was trying to 'hold her hostage'. All she'd have to do was kill him, and confirm she was with the league of shadows and establish that her mission was just to kill Black Mask and she played the long game to do so and was only speaking because she had to.

Doesn't fix all the problems, but it at least feels closer to the Cassandra Cain in the comics. That or you could have the narration the entire time being Harley actually pitching it as a movie to the other BoP (Cassandra included), and them all shooting down her idea saying how it would never be a success and being mad she called an emergency reading and have Oracle at the end saying something to the effect of "I'm not even in it!?!?!" again, it doesn't fix all the problems of the film, but at least it would have given something to Cassandra (and/or to Barbara).
    Last edited by Majesty; 02-05-2023 at 06:45 PM.

Mighty Member

Putting this here for those who say Tim doesn't have a role:

https://old.reddit.com/r/batman/comm...batman_mythos/

He's bi, but the current writer is doing her best to passively write him as gay......

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    If King and Morrison are there main inspirations I really hope they skip Jason...
    I think they are far more likely to use Winnick Red Hood than Morrison Red Hood.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People keep saying that back during Damian's last major push yet Tim still sticks around anyways.
    So does Kyle Raynor, but how relevant is he? Damian is the Robin of the Injustice games, the main Robin in the comics, and now it seems he’ll be the main Robin for the films. If Reeves does Robin it will almost assuredly be Dick. Tim is holding on to the remnants of his 90s fanbase but that can’t support him for long, especially when my generation already prefers Damian in the role. This will only continue that trend of leaving Tim in the rear view mirror.

He’ll never disappear entirely, his new bisexuality means he’ll keep cameoing for rep purposes. Compared to the peak of his popularity when he had a 100 issue ongoing, redefined Robin, and was one of the most popular DC characters? Like Kyle he’ll just be coasting off of nostalgia (and what happens when the millennials age out?).
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/