Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Oh **** finally Robin in a movie

Damian isn't my first choice but hey I'm glad we're finally getting Robin which is dope as Hell

Hopefully the rest of the Batfam gets mentioned and we get crazy stuff like ninja Man-Bats

Damian is an interesting choice and it's great to see another Robin in the movies.

I hope the whole "Bruce's son" take won't ignore that Bruce took in two orphans before Damian and that it is a point of conflict the way it was when Damian got introduced. This whole "actual son" isn't ideal. Just call him bio son.

Dick better be in this in a role similar to the one he had in Morrison's Batman & Robin even if he isn't DickBats.

The title of this isn't great. Can't wait for Bruce and Damian to be shoehorned into being the brave and the bold respectively.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

ayoooo!! my favorite era on the big screen!!

this might bring me back to the theaters to watch DC movies, I just hope they acknowledge the fact that Damian is biracial and cast accordingly

I cannot wait to see this lil' stinker in the cinemas

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I'm excited for a Bat-Family film, but really wish it wasn't Damian as Robin. Ah, well.

I watched the whole presentation and it seems Gunn is a big Morrison fan in general, which I'm also pretty wary of, but if it means Gunns films will feel more comic book-like then all the better.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Amazing Member

Very excited to see Damian in live action! And I think his and Bruce's relationship would be interesting to explore. Though the talent of the child actor will matter a lot.

I wonder how, tonally, it will work? Batman movies have been pretty grounded/grim recently. Early Damian is very grim, but not so much grounded, given the whole ten year old genius assassin grandson of an immortal thing. It could work if he's somewhat older, or if they lean into the absurdity, but I'm not sure.

This movie won't be grounded cause they need to make it some what different from Reeves Batman.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This movie won't be grounded cause they need to make it some what different from Reeves Batman.
    I see this film finally being the new modern equivalent for Schumacher through a dark lens, kind of what Joel was aiming for in movies he wanted that got unmade.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I see this film finally being the new modern equivalent for Schumacher through a dark lens, kind of what Joel was aiming for in movies he wanted that got unmade.
    Well, Schumacher did had the Batfamily there, kinda. Let's just hope the script it's nowhere near that bad.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

As a huge Damian fan, this made my day.

I've always felt that Robin is a tricky one to do without making batman come across as a bad father and a poor adult.

I've always felt that the only young kids/teens that could work in Batman's world were:

Dick- batman was young. The punch of seeing his young self reflected in boy as he watched the Graysons die. This Batman's choice to allow a child into his violent world can be attributed to fear and strong emotion triggering a replacement .

Damian and Cass- Already super skilled. Leading a life socked in blood and violence. Unusual upbringing that makes them a threat to 'regular society'. Becoming a gotham vigilante is far less dangerous lifestyle.

While still ethically and morally dubious those 3 make Bruce look the least terrible.

I'm excited for this movie.

I hope they lean fully into the kid badass who violently kicks adult butt route. Lean into the creative fights a la Hit Girl.

Someone else already said it and I agree Damian should have an accent.

It'd be interesting to see who they cast. There's not exactly that many Asian/Middle Eastern/European mixed actors out there.

When a character has more than one minority heritage, casting gets tricky.

I suppose simply looking racially ambiguous might work but an actor with some Chinese or Middle Eastern heritage would be ideal [with a British accent].
    This is going to be a tough one to cast and we've not even gotten to acting chops and being able to do action scenes.

I'm super hyped for this.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Morrison run still means Dick might show up.
    "Cable was right!"

I'm so glad that finally after all these years some form of the Batfamily is making it to the big screen. As someone who has gotten a little bored of solo Batman movies this already has me interested in something new. While Damian wouldn't have been my first choice I'm happy to see him being used especially since he missed out on the Gotham Knights game. I hope this means good things for the Batfam only time will tell.

Astonishing Member

Definitely pumped up for this! I must admit I initially thought Gunn would give Batman a miss in the short-term while waiting for Reeves to finish out his story, but I'm really glad we'll be getting not one but TWO distinct interpretations of Batman on-screen in the decade ahead Unlike the fairly polarized Superman fanbase (no offence), the Batman fanbase has always tended to accept varied takes on the character and it's great to see DC/WB take that into account with their plans.

I understand people being a bit disappointed with Robin not being Dick, but look on the bright side - we're 100% getting the extended Bat-family on-screen! I'm convinced we'll at least get Dick as Nightwing, and probably Barbara as Batgirl. Maybe Red Hood?

I think Morrison's definitely the way to go if you want to break out of the Year One/DKR/TLH mould of the character and reintroduce cinema-goers to a relatively 'lighter' and more overtly 'superheroic' take on the character. Morrison's the writer who did a phenomenal job marrying the Silver Age-ish Caped Crusader with the psychologically complex and brooding Dark Knight.

I'm assuming we'll be getting a Batman who's at least in his late 30's, perhaps early 40's, so I guess they'd cast the actor accordingly. Wonder if Damian will literally be a 10 year old, or if Gunn was just referring to the comic-book version?

Also, when it comes to the suit, the last two live-action iterations make great strides towards comic-book accuracy. Might they take it a step further this time and add a little blue to the suit? Giving us a live-action version of this...

Or maybe even this...

Astonishing Member

Never thought we'd get a live action Batman and Robin film with Damian Wayne as Robin. As somebody who adores Grant Morrison's run on Batman, this is right up my (Crime) Alley. Jake Gyllenhaal as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Blue and grey Batsuit as well.

I also assume that the new movie Batman will have a strict no-kill rule because there needs to be that tension between him and Damian over him being an assassin who uses killing as his first option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Especially if they're drawing from Morrison.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post

I think Morrison's definitely the way to go if you want to break out of the Year One/DKR/TLH mould of the character and reintroduce cinema-goers to a relatively 'lighter' and more overtly 'superheroic' take on the character. Morrison's the writer who did a phenomenal job marrying the Silver Age-ish Caped Crusader with the psychologically complex and brooding Dark Knight.
    This better be their approach. It's about time to get this version of Batman right for modern times (in film / TV). It's time to save film Batman from the influence of Miller, Moore, etc (just as maybe Miller-influenced portrayals perhaps saved Batman from a perceptional stain of Adam West Batman).
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 02-01-2023 at 08:55 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”