Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Should the comic book origin of the JSA be revised to include Wonder Woman?

When the Justice Society of American first had an origin story written for the group (back in the 1970s), it took place in 1940 and involved these ten heroes:

Back in those days, Wonder Woman's first comic book appearance was in All Star Comics #8 (cover-dated December 1941-January 1942), several issues after the first appearance of the Justice Society of America (in All Star Comics #3).

After Crisis on Infinite Earths, the origin story for the JSA was revised slightly, removing Batman and Superman, but since Wonder Woman was also removed from the 1940s timeframe, again she was also not included.

In 2020, for Wonder Woman #750, a story written by Scott Snyder gave us this:

and ended with:

So, if DC is still going with idea of Wonder Woman (Diana) being present in the United States as far back as 1939, should the comic book version of the Justice Society of America's origin be rewritten again to include her as a founding member?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    When the Justice Society of American first had an origin story written for the group (back in the 1970s), it took place in 1940 and involved these ten heroes:

Back in those days, Wonder Woman's first comic book appearance was in All Star Comics #8 (cover-dated December 1941-January 1942), several issues after the first appearance of the Justice Society of America (in All Star Comics #3).

After Crisis on Infinite Earths, the origin story for the JSA was revised slightly, removing Batman and Superman, but since Wonder Woman was also removed from the 1940s timeframe, again she was also not included.

In 2020, for Wonder Woman #750, a story written by Scott Snyder gave us this:

and ended with:
    So, if DC is still going with idea of Wonder Woman (Diana) being present in the United States as far back as 1939, should the comic book version of the Justice Society of America's origin be rewritten again to include her as a founding member?
    I'm all in favor of NOT changing JSA history any more than necessary. It's established that Diana was active in 1939, but that doesn't mean she needs to have been an active member from the get-go.
    From The Golden Age/JSA#1 (forget which), it's also established that Diana was there at the HUAC hearings in 1952 (same as the original story), but unclear about when she joined the team.
    She's also NOT present with the original membership seen in JSA#2.

Just my opinion, but I'd say let her join the JSA with the same timing as the original Golden Age All-Star Comics stories...but maybe let her be a little more active initially (like she was in the later All-Star stories).

Putting Wonder Woman back in the Golden Age seemed like an attempt at synergy with the movies, which may or may not be a non-factor pretty soon. If they decide to, sure I guess, but I don't really need her as part of the JSA.

No, because Wonder Woman shouldn't be part of the JSA. Putting her back in the Golden Age is a really dumb idea.

Incredible Member

Given that Wonder Woman was the JSA's secretary, no I don't think so.

Astonishing Member

Why not just stick with the Byrne idea that the GA version was Hippolyta? Why was it retcon punched out in the first place?

I'm fine with doing an updated origin that addresses Diana's role in the JSA.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 01-31-2023 at 03:48 PM.

I don't think it got fully rebooted out until the New 52, which took an axe to Wonder Woman's entire history. Prior to that it was still canon, just very rarely mentioned. Paul Dini showed Hippolyta as part of the JSA in a flashback from Streets of Gotham, so it still seemed to be in continuity before Flashpoint reset everything.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    I don't think it got fully rebooted out until the New 52, which took an axe to Wonder Woman's entire history. Prior to that it was still canon, just very rarely mentioned. Paul Dini showed Hippolyta as part of the JSA in a flashback from Streets of Gotham, so it still seemed to be in continuity before Flashpoint reset everything.
    I remember Didio claiming it was retcon punched in one of his Newsarama Q&As (before all the old newsarama articles were deleted).

edit here is an archive of the q&a:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20110622...ll-100418.html

Quote Originally Posted by Newsarama
    Another reader then asked about Wonder Woman, and if she would get a second ongoing series like Superman and Batman. "We keep on trying, we just want to get the first one right," DiDio said. Another fan asked about Wonder Woman's revised origin, post-Infinite Crisis, to which DiDio explained that her mother Hippolyta was no longer the original Wonder Woman of World War II. Additionally, Wonder Woman was again a founding member of the Justice League. "Wonder Woman is our premier female superhero in DC Comics," DiDio said. "When she first appears she should be in our premier superhero team."
    And the claim is still there and sourced to the newsarama q&a in this wikipedia article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contin...nfinite_Crisis

Some continuity changes were attributed to Infinite Crisis after it ended, without specifying whether Superboy-Prime or the collapse of the Multiverse caused them. These include:

Queen Hippolyta's Post-Crisis history as the Golden Age Wonder Woman of the 1940s is no longer valid.[16][17]
    Last edited by Bruce Wayne; 01-31-2023 at 04:00 PM.

Then either someone should’ve told Dini or that was never set in stone. It’s possible the compromise was she was still with the JSA, just not as Wonder Woman.

Fantastic Member

Can't say that I'm a fan of revisionism. I understood the original COIE, but since than everything's been diluted, overdone, and deaths don't mean anything anymore.
    --jthree

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I like this idea. Since DC took away the Golden Age Superman & Batman from the JSA's original roster, having Wonder Woman replace them makes a lot of sense to me.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Diana was in the JSA from early on in All-Star 11. She was also the team's secretary. These are both facts that were canon when first written. Neither has to change much.

If Diana predated the JSA in current continuity, her being part of the team at its origin really doesn't change things that much. If she was active and fairly well known to and trusted by the US Government, I could see her being given the post of "Secretary" similar to a cabinet secretary. The job title and tenure would change very little about the JSA's Golden Age activities.
    I’ll don the mask and wear the cape
    If I am super, how can I wait?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

If it's set on Earth-2, by all means put her back in the JSA (just quietly ignore the secretary thing). Bring back Paula von Gunther, Priscilla Rich Cheetah and Lyta Trevor as well.

Main Earth? No way. She gains nothing by upending her continuity and supporting cast to put her back with the JSA. It's more about giving them a boost than her.

With Wonder Woman (Diana) being at the 1939 World's Fair in New York City, I always assumed that was setting up the new "Golden Age" timeline that would have been in DC's 5G revision ("Generation One: Age of Mysteries") that had the plug pulled.

So now I have no idea what DC is doing with it.