Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I feel like if Remender was given an 8-10 issue arc to flesh out 'What if? Age of Apocalypse' we would get something close to the epic Dark Angel saga. The one issue left me wondering what might have been..
    Wow, I had to google this as I don't even think I read that issue. I purchased most of his works from Uncanny X force and Uncanny Avengers in trades, so I don't remember reading this issue. Makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight85 View Post
    I remember in the rebooted Uncanny Avengers, they retconned right away that Quick Silver and Scarlet Witch were not the real children of Magneto, and I hated that the minute I found out. I don't believe for a second that Remender wanted that.
    He didn't. He confirmed that retconning Wanda and Pietro was a mandate from higher up. No longer Magneto's kids, and no longer mutants.

One thing's for sure, Warren/Archangel hasn't had anything as EPIC ever since the end of The Dark Angel Saga

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-02-2023 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Amazing Member

Well we will get to see Apo soon again with his offspring, so excited for it

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    One thing's for sure, Warren/Archangel hasn't had anything as EPIC ever since the end of The Dark Angel Saga

To this day Dark Angel saga remains one of my favourite stories. Remender and Opena/Brooks were magic.

Cullen Bunn had some good Archangel stories that weren't allowed to go anywhere or be followed up on because of the Krakoa era.
    Archangel is the biggest loser of the Krakoa setting. He went from being a good character again in Bunn's Uncanny X-Men run to appearing in the super awful X-Corp comic. And Warren is still trapped in X-Corp in the background of the X-Men books. I wish that someone would just end the X-Corp idea. Maybe Archangel could be used in something useful then.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dragon1440 View Post
    Died during Age of X, and is a clone so was not eligible for resurrection a long time.
    The hot second Maddy got resurrected, Oya should have been all up in the Five's faces, "Where's Evan? Is Evan next? Why isn't Evan back?" (They got along pretty well during the series about the boring teenage O5, and, along with Pickles, were, IMO, the only reasons to even read that run.)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Til View Post
    He didn't. He confirmed that retconning Wanda and Pietro was a mandate from higher up. No longer Magneto's kids, and no longer mutants.
    Yea that's what I thought, no one in their right mind would retcon that story element and it diminished all involved. It lessened those characters the second they did that, hopefully they reverse that and just admit they messed up.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    Well we will get to see Apo soon again with his offspring, so excited for it

We've been blessed with some awesome horsemen from Apocalypse. I really enjoyed the 4 horsemen from Remender, but from a design stand point, the Krakoa era Horseman were gold. They really captured the Egyptian styled theme well and it synergized perfectly with Apocalypse. Great designs! Literally an Anubis looking character as the horseman Death! It was gold!

Amazing Member

I mean, is it even possible to do something better than that story right there! Remender did such a great thing there, he killed and finally put an end to archangel and saw that storyline be drawn out to it's natural conclusion, but snuck in a way to keep the character alive but reborn and different. I haven't followed every single X-Men comic since then, but every time I read anything with Angel in the Krakoa storyline so far, it always really does seem like another character and the real Archanglel/Warren Worthington died.

Man that was such a special story! Best of the best! Heartbreaking/ Old Yelleh style, but in the end those are some of the more memorable stories.

Remender's Uncanny X-Force was fantastic.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

I, too, wonder where he would have taken things.

Reminder’s run on Uncanny Avengers was fun. Sometimes outrageous. Other times grounded. Didn’t strike me as edgy for edgy sake, like some fanboy turned writer.

Red Skull is using Xavier’s brain? Eww (but the depravity sounds about right for that guy). Okay, just go with it.

Apocalypse Twins + Kang and Ahab? That connected some Marvel lore in a fun, intriguing way.

High Evolutionary and his counter earth was interesting. But like most high evolutionary stories… I’m left with more questions than answers. Like… what does he (ever) want?!

Remender was doing solid work. His departure seemed abrupt.

Remender is a great writer. I loved his X-Force and Uncanny Avengers work.

His Captain America run with Dimension Z was nowhere near as strong, IMO, although the end of his run with Dr. Mindbubble and the Iron Nail was more interesting. Also, his work in making the Falcon into Captain America seems to be the basis of a lot of what’s happening to the character now in the MCU.

His Avengers was as good as Hickman’s, but Marvel seemed to like Hickman’s work more.

He’s had a couple of his creator-owned titles picked up by television and streaming a few years back, including Deadly Class and Last Days of American Crime. A couple more of his works are supposedly in development, and we’ll see how that goes.

He’s also done a number of good creator-owned comics mostly through Image, including Low, Black Science, Fear Agent and Seven to Eternity, which featured Opena on art chores for most of it. I’d recommend these creator-owned titles of his as much as any of his writing for Marvel.
    Last edited by Brian B; 02-02-2023 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thievery View Post
    Cullen Bunn had some good Archangel stories that weren't allowed to go anywhere or be followed up on because of the Krakoa era.
    Archangel is the biggest loser of the Krakoa setting. He went from being a good character again in Bunn's Uncanny X-Men run to appearing in the super awful X-Corp comic. And Warren is still trapped in X-Corp in the background of the X-Men books. I wish that someone would just end the X-Corp idea. Maybe Archangel could be used in something useful then.
    Thanks for the recommendation! But yeah, still hoping someday Warren returns in a prominent way again...

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-02-2023 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

There's no overstating how good Rick Remender's Uncanny X-Force and Uncanny Avengers have been. The former lost a bit of steam towards the end but it was mostly excellent from start to finish; while UA vol. 2 was nowhere near as good as vol. 1... which set a VERY high bar.

I'm glad he's finding success with his creator-owned work but I hate that he's become estranged with Marvel and hope to see him on the merry mutants again at some point.