Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scarlet Witch~4~LIFE!!^_^ CJStriker's Avatar

Cool Scarlet Witch(2023) #2 Review

Fools Look to Your Father and Call Him Artificial. BUT Witnessing This – Who could See Him, or You(Viv Vision), as Anything….

……But Simply ALIVE!!

This Alone Shows Steve Orlando GETS Wanda Maximoff, GETS Vision, Gets Viv Vision, Steve GETS who these Characters are, what they are about and the depths of who fans have long for too long in Marvel to finally get who they always have been, Orlando is a Blessing to these Characters and he is honor them so much with each new story in this serious & Scarlet Witch(2023) #2 roles that along beautifully!

The Issue doubles down on the interpersonal relationships between characters, on Family and Love for one another which is more of the core of this book then any big action scene or saving the day/world. It is what is the meat and root of what drives the story of each issue and I am loving this direction. It makes it when we finally get to the conflict to have a personal stack in it cause is effects the personal lives of the characters that the fight is about.

This leaves this book have more depth and long-term meaning that leans it to joyful re-reads and long-term praise that will last this book for years down the road.

Viv Vision is written so nicely hear, getting a good weight on her history, who she is and what she is going through, it works both on a level of longtime Viv fans that know her and as a clever but beautifully written intro to her for fans just be intro to her.

The Complex connection Viv and Wanda have with each other is handle so well, not all is resolved as to what they truly are to each other by the end of the story but so much is lovely layer down for future development and what we already got shows just how sweet and caring both of the characters are to each other, it was beautiful to see, another Example of Steve Orlando gets it and Sara Pichelli gets it even better with how she draws her pages.

The Story cuts to the DreamQueen, showing this book has a rich love of longtime Villains not used in to long of a time, but getting this spotlight for them in such important books give this the notice they rightfully have been long overdue.

The story then goes into a nightmarish battle Homage to nightmarish images and moments right out of a Nightmare on Elm Street movie and it is such an interest read.

I will not go into how the fight Concludes but like Issue #1 Wanda shows clever ways in not just resolving her battles but for long term effects using her spells.

Books ends with a nice tease to what will lead into issue #3, what is coming with a new roster of longtime forgotten Villains and Lorna to make her long await appearance.

The Next Story is Truly a Lovely Story of Sisterhood, a coming of 2 Ladies in an adventure with each other LONG overdue!

Ororo and Wanda meeting at Wanda’s Shop to go over the evens of Judgement Day and Magneto’s death was a good reasoning for them to meet espcislly with how the story played out between Storm was the last one with Magneto before his death. The interactions and teases to Storm’s connection to the mystical is truly a nice expanding of Storm’s powers and lore, leading to an interaction for a mini adventure with the 2 ladies that was needed to showcase not just this, but just how beautifully well both Ororo and Wanda are when then are working off each other, it was truly long overdue.

The Uniqueness of Foes in Wanda’s book keeps getting more impressive, with Wanda and Ororo having to get a special flower needed from Wanda Shop from Quite-Literally a Water Spirit that is a Horse who is upset at them for disturbing him!

I have made in the past connects to both Wanda & Elsa from the Frozen series in similarities of characters, but now Marvel is just dropping in characters that are pound-per-pound from Frozen in Marvels own version of the Water Spirit Horse, AKA The Nokk, I am just LOVING This as a Fan of Both Franchises!

The books end with a lovely personal moment over Tea and how could it not end any other Way!

This book keeps getting better with both Writing and Artwork becoming a major need buy for any fan that loves interpersonal stories like these that Orlanda and Pichelli are deliver, Thank You to Both of them and the whole team on this book!
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

I agree it was a great issue I like how confident Wanda is here and how creative her she is with her magic. The way she took out dreamqueen was fun. I also like the backup of her and Storm vs the evil seahorse thing

After reading two issues, it's official: Steve Orlando is the best thing that could have happened to Wanda after all these crappy years. He really understands Wanda and uses her powers in interesting ways.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

I really enjoyed this. Wanda building a foundation for a relationship with Viv while acknowledging that she is not her mother was really well done. Her fight with the Dreamqueen was brilliant and creative, and I love the punishment Wanda gave her. Pichelli's art continues to be beautiful, and the colors in the dream sequence were stunning. I was less impressed with the backup story, it was nice, but I would have like a little more focus on the Magneto of it all. My only nitpick is that I'm not currently invested in Darcy and whatever is going on with her, but I think that will change when the story and character get more focus. Really looking forward to the next issue.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I loved it. The only thing I didn’t like was how short the fight was. I wanted these two powerhouses have a battle that shook the foundation of the dreamscape.
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com

I'll say this at least they acknowledged the fact that Storm didn't want to bring Wanda back to life even though it's pretty under cut by the fact that they were acting like they been friends for ever

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes. YES. YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

It was another good issue. I like that they had Wanda make it clear that she believes in Vision's humanity. That was often lost by certain modern writers who forgot that even after their separation many moons ago, Wanda still very much cared for Vision and saw him as human or sometime more human than humans. I'm glad she was able to give both Viv closure and help her with her issues.

I also hope Marvel delves into Ororo's sorcery side a bit more.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by GenericUsername View Post
    It was another good issue. I like that they had Wanda make it clear that she believes in Vision's humanity. That was often lost by certain modern writers who forgot that even after their separation many moons ago, Wanda still very much cared for Vision and saw him as human or sometime more human than humans. I'm glad she was able to give both Viv closure and help her with her issues.

I also hope Marvel delves into Ororo's sorcery side a bit more.
    Indeed, Greatly Said GenericUsername, as I have seen others say Orlando has been the BEST writer for Wanda in a Long, Longtime cause of how much he gets Wanda and her persona family lore alone. Too Much of the Bendis era was Damning her lore and stuffing down Vision to just a robot, when by as you said he was far more than that alone and has been written like that for Many Decades before Bendis did not care to care for that. Now in just 2-3 pages more was said in those pages to clarify not only Vision but who Viv Vision was as well, how their humanity was laid out perfectly is truly a Godsend for any fan of any Vision character and for Wanda Fans Wanda got to show her beauty of her persona beyond what my words could give justice too.

I was so happy with this I Tweeted Orlando when he tweeted about the book today to thank him like this, his words are THAT impactful!

https://twitter.com/CjstrikerC/statu...00525691400193

Indeed, on the Ororo stuff on her Sorcery side was better than I hope for, the not just telling but showing of it was Marvelous, Steven the other writer truly has started something grand here that they need to follow up upon.
    "By Earth and Sky, By Craft and Hex -- By The Past and The Future – I Call HOPE Forth From The DARKNESS! I Speak The Words We Made Into MAGIC! Let THEIR Power Augment Our OWN! To Strike ONE BLOW From Our HEARTS and SOULS – From ALL THAT WE ARE! Let The CALL Go Forth -- AVENGERS! ASSEMBLE!" Scarlet Witch/Wanda Maximoff ~~ From Avengers #689!

Come Join and Learn about Wanda Maximoff at: The Scarlet Witch Appreciation Thread 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    I agree it was a great issue I like how confident Wanda is here and how creative her she is with her magic. The way she took out dreamqueen was fun. I also like the backup of her and Storm vs the evil seahorse thing
    That is one of the Beauties of these book Starduck, we are getting Wanda So Confident in herself that we have not seen for a long time, not since the Busiek and Red Zone era's, it is truly a Refreshing Writing that has been needed for So Long!

Also, not to leave out, but James Robinson did a good job in showing Wanda at strong point as well, but this is writing is on a WHOLE other level of Confidence!

The Way Wanda is dealing with her Rogue's Gallery is truly unique, it is not just punching Much Harder to win like we most of the time in Comics but clever ways we DON'T see coming until we read the Full fight, we don't see these coming and to leave the reader stunned by these creative ways to victory is truly special, Makes Wanda's Skills of fast thinking and long-term planning on a WHOLE other level of Amazing Skill, just Love See that about her Finally in a Book!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Yes. YES. YEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!
    I Really Enjoy Your Devaishwarya, Thanks So Much for it! What if you an in detail are you liking about the book most so far, your enthusiasm leads me to want to know more!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I loved it. The only thing I didn’t like was how short the fight was. I wanted these two powerhouses have a battle that shook the foundation of the dreamscape.
    I agree I think the Fight could have been longer Shadowcat, felt shorter then I was expecting too, when you have 2 ladies on this High Level of power and skill you want to see them go all out as much as we can get!

But also the short match still had IMO amazing moments that where unique in how Wanda handled the Fight and MOSTLY how Wanda found victory in the Fight, this shows just how much all keys to victory are not just punching Really, Really harder than the Foe, but a creative, Very Creative Way in dispatching ones Rogue Gallery Villain & in such a way we did not see coming, truly shows Wanda's level to World Knowledge, Experience and Quick study of her foes, simple beyond loving seeing that which made up IMO for the short Fight, This is PRIME Wanda we are getting right now!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I could easily see and would very much like to see Dream Queen return and become a major rogue for Wanda. She's going to get out of Wanda's trap (eventually) and wanting revenge against her would be awesome. As a long time Alpha Flight fan, it was awesome seeing her brought back and used so well. I have been very impressed with Orlando's story and how he utilizes Wanda's abilities in unique ways. I'm curious as to how he will move forward and what he will bring to the book. The art is by Sara Pichelli. I have come to expect nothing less than exceptional and am never disappointed in her work.

Yeah Pichellis art is stunning. Comparison like this might be unfair but there was a big difference between the main story and the backup with Storm. It wasn't bad by any means. Don't get me wrong but Pichelli is on another level. Her Wanda is absolutely fabulous. Hope she stays on the book for a long time.

When I'm back at home I will post some more of my thoughts.
    "This is me being reasonable"

Quote Originally Posted by CJStriker View Post
    Indeed, Greatly Said GenericUsername, as I have seen others say Orlando has been the BEST writer for Wanda in a Long, Longtime cause of how much he gets Wanda and her persona family lore alone. Too Much of the Bendis era was Damning her lore and stuffing down Vision to just a robot, when by as you said he was far more than that alone and has been written like that for Many Decades before Bendis did not care to care for that. Now in just 2-3 pages more was said in those pages to clarify not only Vision but who Viv Vision was as well, how their humanity was laid out perfectly is truly a Godsend for any fan of any Vision character and for Wanda Fans Wanda got to show her beauty of her persona beyond what my words could give justice too.

I was so happy with this I Tweeted Orlando when he tweeted about the book today to thank him like this, his words are THAT impactful!

https://twitter.com/CjstrikerC/statu...00525691400193

Indeed, on the Ororo stuff on her Sorcery side was better than I hope for, the not just telling but showing of it was Marvelous, Steven the other writer truly has started something grand here that they need to follow up upon.
    I definitely feel like so far, he gets a lot of the nuance of Wanda's character.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I've yet to read the Vision series from which Viv is from.
    I don't have a pulse on the X-Men like I did a decade+ back.

That said, I feel it is a testament to the writing that one can follow the issue and understand the Viv and Storm dynamics without knowing all the ins/outs. Felt that way for me. The art is stunning and would reason alone to buy the book but the writing is solid.

I'm still trying to find a reason for Darcy to be in this book besides finally moving her from MCU into MU. I await a reason(s) that Darcy is running a Z on the register vs some rando.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime