View Poll Results: Should They Bring Gal Back As Wondy For The New Universe?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 20.00%
  • No

25 62.50%
  • Undecided.

7 17.50%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

No. As others have said, it would have been nice if Gal could have finished the first Wonder Woman trilogy but next to a new Batman and Superman keeping the other Snyder actors would be a mistake. It's another actress's time to shine as Wonder Woman. Hopefully sooner than later.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Years ago when they were talking about Lynda Carter and her role on WW, it was stated that she was 5'11" and weighed 135 pounds during the filmings.
    Even Lynda in an interview stated that she was 5'9", and is probably 5'8.5" now due to age

I think like in sports, their agents like to fib on the height part.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Even Lynda in an interview stated that she was 5'9", and is probably 5'8.5" now due to age

I think like in sports, their agents like to fib on the height part.
    Yeah, she must have shrunk 2" then, because she stated those figures herself!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Yeah, she must have shrunk 2" then, because she stated those figures herself!
    I vaguely remember an article from years and years ago where she might have actually stated that once, but I would like to think she meant in 'heels'. Otherwise, every other interview or article that I have read on her has generally stated 5'9". Regardless, on the TV show she tended to be the same height or even taller than many of the people that were the villains or guest stars, but the 2-3 inch heels might have helped her out in some cases

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    BINGO! lol! She wasn't statuesque enough either, and then there's her accent. I got used to Wonder Woman sounding like Susan Eisenberg.
    Yeah her brown eyes disconnect take me out. I didn't like that when she was casted & didn't give her blue eyes its not hard to do

It's not the physical features for me. It's the complete lack of acting ability. When she is walking across NML, it felt like watching a model or a pretty cosplayer doing a photoshoot rather than a warrior. Her line delivery was just unconvincing. I've seen better acting on CW shows and they usually get away with cheesy acting because that's part of the appeal. The WW movie wasn't supposed to be that. Gal was hired because Zack Snyder thought she looked pretty in the lighting and that was just....ugh.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    It's not the physical features for me. It's the complete lack of acting ability.
    I personally disagree on her lacking acting ability. In my view, she's no worse than many of the choices I've seen fans suggest.

Gal was hired because Zack Snyder thought she looked pretty in the lighting and that was just....ugh.
    Sorry, where did you hear that?
    Last edited by Agent Z; 02-04-2023 at 05:05 AM.

She's a terrible actress, so no.
    Currently Reading: DC v. Vampires / Batman: Urban Legends / Robin / Nightwing / Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I personally disagree on her lacking acting ability. In my view, she's no worse than many of the choices I've seen fans suggest.
    There is a better counter argument to be made than that.

Sorry, where did you hear that?
    In one of the many articles pertaining to the Snydercut.

I think Gal Gadot deserved to finish her trilogy, sadly at least in social media i have seen Gal get so much backlash for controversial stuff and i don't want that hurt Diana's future.

So i hope a whole reboot.

Yes, but since the next WW movie will be like in 7 years it's probably unlikely that she'll stay.

I hope the next actress won't be a typical American though, so that WW would still have an accent and that Mediterranean look so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegis View Post
    I hope the next actress won't be a typical American though, so that WW would still have an accent and that Mediterranean look so to speak.

This is exactly how I feel. Like you, I would NOT want an "All-American" type of beauty being cast as the next WW. I also think that Gadot's nationality and accent is a plus in the whole aesthetic of the character's cinematic presence.

As for her acting, I have seen several films from Gadot in which she emotes quite convincingly (including the WW movies. Yes, I said what I said). I suspect many people's insistence on her being a "terrible actress" is connected to her accented English. There has been a lot of academic research from sociolinguists on how accented English from non-English speaking natives negatively impacts the perception of native English speakers in regard to the intelligence and skills of the non-natives in other areas that have nothing to do with language. Studies actually suggest that some accents literally make English speakers think of people with certain accents as "dumber" and less capable than people with other certain accents. Rosina Lippi-Green's book English With An Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States is very eye-opening.

https://www.routledge.com/English-wi.../9780415559119
    Last edited by HestiasHearth; 02-05-2023 at 02:43 AM.

Astonishing Member

I like Gal. Even though she's not a great actress, she was almost perfect Diana.
    But with all of that, no, I don't want her to come back. If you're making a reboot, you must reboot everything.

I’m also team recast because of Gal’s lack of acting ability. And I really don’t think you can attribute her performances in films like Death on the Nile and Fast and Furious to her accent…

The biggest thing is just that her range is really limited. I thought she did a good job in the first WW because it worked within her limits (plus her chemistry with Chris Pine went a long way) but she wasn’t able to convincingly play a more mature version of the character in WW84 or JL. And it’d be an especially big problem if Gunn decided to go ahead with his really dumb plan to have the film actors do the voice acting in animation as well - can’t see Gal convincingly voice act at all, considering her awkward line delivery is her most consistent problem.

Physically, though? My only issue with her is that she’s too skinny - would like to see an actress aim for a build more like Natalie Portman’s in Thor: L&T. I have no problems with her height (limiting casting to women taller than her would be way too limiting) and I don’t care about eye color. I also hope the recast looks Mediterranean but I could take or leave the accent, would much rather hear someone do an American accent than put on some awkward, inconsistent Franken-accent like the other Amazons in the Jenkins films.

Quote Originally Posted by HestiasHearth View Post
    This is exactly how I feel. Like you, I would NOT want an "All-American" type of beauty being cast as the next WW. I also think that Gadot's nationality and accent is a plus in the whole aesthetic of the character's cinematic presence.

As for her acting, I have seen several films from Gadot in which she emotes quite convincingly (including the WW movies. Yes, I said what I said). I suspect many people's insistence on her being a "terrible actress" is connected to her accented English. There has been a lot of academic research from sociolinguists on how accented English from non-English speaking natives negatively impacts the perception of native English speakers in regard to the intelligence and skills of the non-natives in other areas that have nothing to do with language. Studies actually suggest that some accents literally make English speakers think of people with certain accents as "dumber" and less capable than people with other certain accents. Rosina Lippi-Green's book English With An Accent: Language, Ideology and Discrimination in the United States is very eye-opening.

https://www.routledge.com/English-wi.../9780415559119
    I am not a native English speaker either. English is my second language. Yet, I found Gal to be a very unconvincing actress with a limited range.

I suspect one of the reasons why people are so hung up on her is because she is the *only* live action Wonder Woman we've had since Lynda Carter (putting aside that Adrienne Palicki pilot that never aired).