View Poll Results: Should He Rock The Trunks Again?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. They Could Work

9 36.00%
  • No. It looks too goofy in Live Action

4 16.00%
  • I Don’t Care Either Way. It’s Not A Make-Or-BreakThing

12 48.00%
    Astonishing Member

Default Should DCU Superman Get Trunks?

Should the rebooted Superman get the trunks?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 02-01-2023 at 10:23 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

My general opinion that they look goofy in live action hasn't changed. That said if they opt for it, it's hardly something I'll dwell over.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Gunn liked a tweet asking him for trunks. I don’t care personally, there’s been some great trunkless designs and I’m not a purist on such matters. I am hoping Gunn Supes gets the Fleschier s-shield.

Edit: Haha holy hell he’s hosting a poll over it! I guess OP is Gunn’s CBR account
    Last edited by Vordan; 02-01-2023 at 10:24 AM.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I'm ok either way but prefer without trunks.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

I’m fine with either as I think either can be done well (theoretically).
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

I lean towards yes, especially for the idea of the movie being pitched. Jeans would be just fine or better though!

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Voted yes. As I'm wont to do. Superman, Batman, trunks.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    My general opinion that they look goofy in live action hasn't changed. That said if they opt for it, it's hardly something I'll dwell over.
    Because I grew up seeing Superman in live action with the trunks, it's the opposite. I have to do some mental gymnastics to retroactively see the trunks as being goofy through someone else's eyes.

I suppose to people in the U.S.A, Lederhosen look goofy. But to people in Austria and Bavaria, Lederhosen are normal. Mind you the Schmenge Brothers do look funny in Lederhosen. And the Adam West Batman looked funny, even when I was a kid, while the Batman in the comic books didn't look funny. And that's probably because there was no effort to make Adam West look good in the Batman costume--it was supposed to look funny.

I think the best way to get the current producers to put the trunks on Superman would be to tell them they can't do it. They seem like the type that, when challenged, they want to do the things that people say can't be done. If you make the costume fit well on the stunt performer/computer generated performer, then it will work.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'd love it if they did a comics accurate reborn suit. If not, then I vote for the classic trunks. I just hope they don't make the suits overly busy with extraneous lines and whatnot like they've been doing.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Yes. I don't think I've ever liked a live action trunkless Superman. S&L comes the closest to tolerable and even then it still looks a little weird.
    Assassinate Putin!

While I prefer him trunkless it's not a deal breaker.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

He should...but then again he might be into going commando.who am i to judge.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Astonishing Member

Its not a deal-breaker either way for me.

Honestly, my preferred suit for the movie would be the Fleischer suit, and Tyler Hoechlin showed how it could work in live-action.

I wouldn't mind a trunkless suit, like something based on the Reborn suit, either.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    I'd love it if they did a comics accurate reborn suit. If not, then I vote for the classic trunks. I just hope they don't make the suits overly busy with extraneous lines and whatnot like they've been doing.
    Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Its not a deal-breaker either way for me.

Honestly, my preferred suit for the movie would be the Fleischer suit, and Tyler Hoechlin showed how it could work in live-action.

I wouldn't mind a trunkless suit, like something based on the Reborn suit, either.
    I think Reborn is the pinnacle of the trunkless look. One thing I have not fully warmed up to is the modern trend in live action of the extra textured, almost scaly suit look.

The Hoechlin Fleischer suit knocks it out of the park.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I don't watch Superman & Lois, but that Fleischer suit is amazing, kudos to the show for that. Reminded some people hopefully how much the trunks can work. The trunks that aren't trunks because they're not a a separate piece from the rest of the costume, as Jurgens has pointed out on Twitter.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”