Page 1 of 55 123451151 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default NFL 2023 Off-Season Thread

Since the talk of the current thread is starting to spread to the off season , we have to sit down and do a OFF SEASON thread. That way we won't distract from Kansas City and Philadelphia SUPER BOWL ahead in regular season thread. Anyhow lets get to the STORIES of 2023.

The 2023 NFL Salary Cap will be $224.8 million in 2023. Overthecap.com has the cap space shown for teams at this link. Chicago has the most NFL cap space heading into 2023 and could be major players ahead. Teams in trouble ahead are shown too.

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space

A lot of the teams at the bottom deep over the cap will shock you. Green Bay , Miami , Tampa Bay , New Orleans , Buffalo and San Diego have to redo contracts and more ahead to get back under the cap in 2023. This is like the 3rd or 4th year New Orleans has been so over the cap its insane.

#2 : How big will Joe Burrow's deal be ?

Joe Burrow's deal that is expected this season (and start in 2024 likely) is estimated to be even higher and longer than Pat Mahomes 10 year $450+ million dollar contract. As Mahomes has showed his deal is actually now considered....cheap. As QB salaries for Rodgers and more are pushing near $50 million a season.

How big will Burrow's deal be in Cincinnati.

#3: How bad will Lamar Jackson's deal be ?

Jackson last year was offered a 6 year $250 million dollar contract. With $133+ million guaranteed at signing and more average salary than what Russell Wilson and Kyler Murray get. But greed seeped in as Deshaun Watson signed a fully guaranteed deal in Cleveland and Jackson demanded all of the contract to be guaranteed.

Baltimore wisely balked as they realized he'd blow their salary cap. Plus as we saw Jackson struggled and still can't seem to be a full passing QB as his body started to wear down due to rushing attack he's forced to run. Baltimore will likely tag Jackson but the idea he'll get $250 million offer again could be remote unless he breaks through in 2023.

The Ravens had players question Jackson's heart on playing while hurt. It doesn't help Pat Mahomes is out there GUTTING IT out on 1 foot in an AFC Championship game as we saw.

Sean Payton has claimed he can fix Russell Wilson. That he as a QB Guru can do what he did with Drew Brees back in New Orleans. The Broncos are hoping this is true as they have way , way too much invested in Wilson to cut bait on. So they sent a lot of draft compensation to New Orleans to get Payton.

#4: Will Tua play in 2023 ?

Tua in Miami will dictate the headlines awhile with his health being a question. He suffered a terrible concussion as we saw where his body froze and likely suffered some damage from it. Now he has to question how much more his brain can take hit wise right now.

#5: Will the Houston Texans still be a disaster ?

With reports that Lovie Smith refused to play games with GM Nick Caserio as he wanted to be head coach at times , now they have a new young coach. Will Caserio continue to make Houston a clown show as we watch ? Can the team rebound and how long will this show continue until the owner realizes like most people from New England who believe they are a genius without Bill Belichick , they aren't.

With rumors flying that Green Bay is looking at potential trade destinations with Rodgers and whispers his own teammates are tired of his actions , will we see Green Bay cut bait with the pissy Packer ? Or will they tie the organization to him further and watch other teams ascend around them right now ?

Likely destinations if traded is Vegas , NY Jets and possibly Giants. Rodgers could even be looked at by Miami if they realize they have a window to make moves to get a Super Bowl ahead.

#7: How will Tom Brady do as an Announcer ?

Brady announced he was retiring (again) and will be moving into the announce booth for Fox. This will be an interesting transition as former QB's like Phil Simms , Joe Theismann and Tony Romo thrived in the booth. While Joe Montana (Brady's idol) struggled in the studio. Right now with a huge deal by Fox , the belief is he will work out good. But thats a lot to invest in a rookie announcer and Brady has to be a HIT from day one to justify the money invested in him. ($300+ million)
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

As far as Burrows big contract goes I will chalk that up to I will believe it when I see it. Mike Brown is super cheap and and has no problem spitting on fans. But he does want a bunch of renovations done to the stadium that Hamilton County will have to foot the bill for. So maybe he does the Burrow deal to help get him good will from the city.

Burrow also may do the Brady and Brees route to take less money to keep the team together as a whole.

But I dont see Brown dropping 50 Mil a year on a QB.

Brady in the booth could work. A number of former players have made the jump to the booth or as Sports Talk show talking heads. What I do not want to see from Brady is the "This is how I would have done it." Talk whenever a QB messes up or misses a play.

As for the Texans. They have a crap front office. So will Ryans be able to turn it around? I also question teams that hire defense minded coaches when the league has become so offense centered.
    Last edited by babyblob; 02-01-2023 at 11:13 AM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    As for the Texans. They have a crap front office. So will Ryans be able to turn it around? I also question teams that hire defense minded coaches when the league has become so offense centered.
    Agree with this. Plus, the Texans will never overcome that AstroWorld curse of 2005.

The Arizona story is going to be, "Who the f*** is coaching this team?", "How did they botch hiring Sean Payton?", and "How long will it take for Kyler's knee to heal, and why does this fanbase and organization seem so ready to run this kid outta town?"
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    The Arizona story is going to be, "Who the f*** is coaching this team?", "How did they botch hiring Sean Payton?", and "How long will it take for Kyler's knee to heal, and why does this fanbase and organization seem so ready to run this kid outta town?"
    I dont think they so much botched hiring Payton as maybe Payton didnt want to go there. He has said more then once the two most important things are owners and QBs.

Why go to a place where the front office is a train wreck (Though Denver has problems also.) And a starting QB that will not even start till the end of the season.

Wilson had a bad year but at least he will be starting in the preseason and day one. Payton can take his time fixing him. Not take a season to get his QB back then try and see what he is in 4 or 5 games and try and fix him after that.

Denver for all its flaws really is the better job here.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Purdy is getting Tommy Johns surgery.

9-12 month recovery expected.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

According to a report the Raiders are not letting Carr contact teams for a trade. The belief is Carr could hold up the team with a No Trade Clause he has. Teams could force the Raiders to cut him as they won't have to give draft compensation.

Either way the Raiders have a really messed up situation .
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

My guess? Payton didn't want to hitch his wagon to the Cardinals who will be without Murray for who knows how long. While Russell Wilson in Denver is a headcase, at least he's ambulatory.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Which means we'll probably never hear from him again. Trey Lance will be under center for week one, Jimmy G will most likely be gone while Josh Johnson will probably stick around as the backup.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Payton wants to WIN NOW and not really thinking long term here. He is hoping he can "turn Wilson around" as he puts it and feels he can. But we will see if Payton is a QB guru or if he was just blessed to have Drew Brees there in New Orleans. Given the prices paid for Russell Wilson and now Sean Payton ...the Broncos have gambled a huge future to these 2.

Payton honestly could come into Arizona , cruise through a year where he can implant his system , let Murray recover and start a few meaningless games at end of season to get him warmed up. But he could have a 2023 to relax and build his system with players there and get Murray so much practice time and more in his system he could have an all-pro by 2024 season.

I'd have taken Arizona given Murray's age and players there the team has. But its a "win now" deal.

San Diego should be better next season with Kellen Moore calling the offense. So yeah....gonna be a harder deal for Chiefs to try and repeat as AFC West Champions.

Denver for all its flaws really is the better job here.
    Plus Payton will enjoy the rabid fan base, rabid local media and stadium. The issues with ownership don't tend to play into what happens on the field so much as what happens during the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Which means we'll probably never hear from him again. Trey Lance will be under center for week one, Jimmy G will most likely be gone while Josh Johnson will probably stick around as the backup.
    Dunno about that. Purdy is kind of a legend now. A lot will depend on how his recovery goes and his own decisions. But I bet the 49ers keep him around.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fox Sports is talking about and reporting how the head coach search in Arizona is taking longer because the people they are interviewing are passing because of Kyler's contract. More then 1 person has quietly passed on the job because they dont want to be tied to Kyler for 4 years. One of those people according to reports was Payton who of course went to Denver.

Fox Sports is talking about and reporting how the head coach search in Arizona is taking longer because the people they are interviewing are passing because of Kyler's contract. More then 1 person has quietly passed on the job because they dont want to be tied to Kyler for 4 years. One of those people according to reports was Payton who of course went to Denver.
    Meanwhile in Denver, you're tied to Russell Wilson for that many years AND you don't have any draft picks for the foreseeable future between what it took to get Russ and Payton.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Meanwhile in Denver, you're tied to Russell Wilson for that many years AND you don't have any draft picks for the foreseeable future between what it took to get Russ and Payton.
    Im not saying either job is great. If I was Payton I would have waited on my return to coaching. I think Denver is a bad job. Better then The Cardinals yes. But that is not saying a whole lot.

With the Cardinals, it seems like a golden opportunity for some aspiring coordinator to go and earn their wings. Not sure if you want that if you are the Cardinals, but there may not be a choice about it. And hey, might find a diamond in the rough and its good timing for such a move. The NFC West isn't that competitive, every team has problems right now.

By the way, Arizona, I'm available if you are listening. I've even got a big green playbook just like that coach in the Waterboy movie!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

And I do think that it says alot about what coaches think about Kyler that Payton would rather go to Denver with all of their issues then go to The Cardinals to coach him.