View Poll Results: What did you think of Dark Web?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was a great event

0 0%
  • It was a good event

3 4.17%
  • It was an average event

4 5.56%
  • It was a mediocre event

13 18.06%
  • It was a terrible event

52 72.22%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rate Dark Web

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Cyclops has been written as a complete jerk at least once a decade, starting with when he ran off from his wife and child and then didn't tell Jean he was married until the new writer, Louise Simonson, took over.
    Scott Lobdell wrote them in the nineties.
    Grant Morrison tried to undo Magneto's redemption arc in the crudest possible manner and gratuitously jammed Scott and Emma into a couple. I think it was something of an achievement to write Emma as completely sexy and yet have absolutely no chemistry with Scott whatsoever.
    Avengers vs X-Men has Captain America behaving like a self-righteous crusader and Scott gets the blame.

I think there's a general feeling that what made Claremont's run great was the easy things to mimic like the angst and the character deaths rather than the stuff that takes talent like the character writing and the construction of plots to build suspense.
    And let’s not forget the Terrigen Mist crisis where we get the mystery box of why Cyclops was being compared to Hitler. Fast forward to Death of X and it still made no sense.

Dark Web: Rated R for rip-off
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

BANNED

Ι haven't red the conclusion yet but I was not impressed with what I have seen until now.
    Marvel must stop trying to pull a Venom out of Ben Reilly immediately. I just doesn't work.

Astonishing Member

So how many people want to bet the letters pages will just be 100% fawning letters about DW?

I remember during the Clone Saga they would print a variety of letters; some positive, some very negative. They weren’t scared of criticism. Those days are gone now, I guess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    So how many people want to bet the letters pages will just be 100% fawning letters about DW?

I remember during the Clone Saga they would print a variety of letters; some positive, some very negative. They weren’t scared of criticism. Those days are gone now, I guess.
    I recall they dedicated a whole issue's letters pages during BND to nothing but negative feedback as a gimmick.

On occasion, they would still print the occasional letter critiquing Slott (and Spencer too), with Lowe's responses boiling down to the books being good because they entertained him and signed off with something akin to "so there, deal with it"

They're not afraid to publish criticism, but they aren't at all professional responding to it any longer.

And yes, there will still be people who enjoyed Dark Web, while I question their tastes in comics, everyone has a different experience and might not be taking it as seriously, and will give Marvel the response they're looking for.
    Last edited by Matt Rat; 02-06-2023 at 05:44 AM.

Astonishing Member Mercwmouth12's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    I recall they dedicated a whole issue's letters pages during BND to nothing but negative feedback as a gimmick.

On occasion, they would still print the occasional letter critiquing Slott (and Spencer too), with Lowe's responses boiling down to the books being good because they entertained him and signed off with something akin to "so there, deal with it"

They're not afraid to publish criticism, but they aren't at all professional responding to it any longer.

And yes, there will still be people who enjoyed Dark Web, while I question their tastes in comics, everyone has a different experience and might not be taking it as seriously, and will give Marvel the response they're looking for.
    There are bots too. So you don't know if the responses they provide are from actual humans

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I put terrible, especially as someone who was interested in Ben and Maddie since Hellions and Spider-Man Beyond.

ASM 14 and 15 were good but it's all downhill. RIP $25. Ewing's Venom and Cantwell's Gold Goblin were fantastic tho.

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    I thought it was decent.

Dark Web: X-Men > Excellent. Duggan brings his A game. One of the best Jean Grey and Madelyne stories ever. A true sequel to Inferno.
    What's this A-game you're talking about?

He made Illyana, Scott and Havok look incompetent, had the other X-Men and Spider-Man running a comedy routine in New York, all just to kiss Jean's and Maddie's combined red-headed buttocks over a problem that could've been solved by speaking to one character (Cable).

Wells and Duggan made Maddie look bad after what happened in New Mutants.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 02-06-2023 at 06:58 AM.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I put terrible, especially as someone who was interested in Ben and Maddie since Hellions and Spider-Man Beyond.

ASM 14 and 15 were good but it's all downhill. RIP $25. Ewing's Venom and Cantwell's Gold Goblin were fantastic tho.

He made Illyana, Scott and Havok look incompetent, had the other X-Men and Spider-Man running a comedy routine in New York, all just to kiss Jean's and Maddie's combined red-headed buttocks over a problem that could've been solved by speaking to one character (Cable).

One of the ickiest things about Dark Web is how Wells and Duggan just wholesale ignored Vita Ayala's arc for Maddie in New Mutants.

Lol is that possible? I’ve never been an X-Men reader, but do they have a storyline worse than OMD?
    Not sure if they have a worse story, but they do have stories that have started worse status quos.

Decimation era started because of House of M, and House of M itself is an alright story (Except for Wanda fans, she's just a womb crazy character), and it has a lot of stuff that isn't liked, and it even lead to Avengers vs X-Men... Although Cyke himself got good stuff from it at least lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Cyclops has been written as a complete jerk at least once a decade, starting with when he ran off from his wife and child and then didn't tell Jean he was married until the new writer, Louise Simonson, took over.
    Scott Lobdell wrote them in the nineties.
    Grant Morrison tried to undo Magneto's redemption arc in the crudest possible manner and gratuitously jammed Scott and Emma into a couple. I think it was something of an achievement to write Emma as completely sexy and yet have absolutely no chemistry with Scott whatsoever.
    Avengers vs X-Men has Captain America behaving like a self-righteous crusader and Scott gets the blame.

I think there's a general feeling that what made Claremont's run great was the easy things to mimic like the angst and the character deaths rather than the stuff that takes talent like the character writing and the construction of plots to build suspense.
    Yeah, a thing to make writing work properly is to build up stuff for the climax, if you just have constant climaxes, it feels unearned and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    And let’s not forget the Terrigen Mist crisis where we get the mystery box of why Cyclops was being compared to Hitler. Fast forward to Death of X and it still made no sense.
    Don't forget that after Death of X, they awkwardly tried to demonize Cyke by saying that what the Terrigen Mist did is the equivalent of peanut butter allergy... Which, is just hilarious to use that to pretend that Terrigen Mists aren't that bad, 'cause allergies kill lol.

The fact Madelyne doesn't even try to talk with Cable when heer entire motivation is about having memories of baby Cable is just so questionable, it makes her look like someone who doesn't care about Cable, only the idea of him, that is, him being a baby lol.

I'm somewhat more forgiving of her not talking with Jean, X-Men do have a bad habit of ignoring her, and she was only resurrected as a consolation prize for Havok, she kinda has reasons to believe that X-Men don't think of her much.

Although on the other hand, Illyana decided to trust her with taking control of Limbo, so she should've realized some people think of her.

Thinking of it, it's really bad that Illyana's own point of view over Madelyne's betrayal isn't shown, at least, not in Dark Web: X-Men, and if it isn't shown at all, that's just questionable...

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    One of the ickiest things about Dark Web is how Wells and Duggan just wholesale ignored Vita Ayala's arc for Maddie in New Mutants.
    While I haven't read everything from those issues yet, the way Madelyne comes across in the issues I read was basically "She's rude, but wants to move on".

She even made a good point about how the X-Men are hypocrites for being so wary of her when they allow Sinister to be on the Quiet Council, and then that's fired back at her since they're wary of her 'cause they wonder what could stop Madelyne if she decides to attack Krakoa, so it was two characters butting heads with no one being specifically pointed out as being on the right, which's nice to see, 'cause sometimes, both sides have a point:

(New Mutants#25 vol 4).

Although, I did roll my eyes whenever Illyana opened her mouth here, mostly because Dani has some very understandable concerns, and Illyana's reply is her vaguely saying "Bitch I got this covered, why don't you trust me?", 'cause, yeah, dodging Dani's questions is a very good way of soothing her worries...

Last part of the paragraph above was sarcastic, in case it wasn't obvious lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-06-2023 at 06:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Let's put it this way; I regret spending money on it.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

BANNED

The letters pages are really obnoxious and transparent.

it's a bit sad as someone who hooked into these characters recently, that they lost you so quickly.
    troo fan or death

A rollicking good time! Went harder on the X-stuff, than the spider-stuff, esp in the finale, but hey: That's post-krakoan Marvel for ya

4/5

(Phew! Good to be back)

Forgot to comment on this lol.

I'll say that between both, Madelyne had it better in Hellions when compared with Ben in Beyond.

Madelyne in Hellions works well enough with her established past, and so does her personality.

Ben, he had interesting ideas, but Beyond having so many writers made him into a mess, and the entire conflict with how he became a villain to begin with, urgh lol.

Although Ben was okay until the final chapters, even with the multiple writers having such clear different voices, and I remember seeing Ben fans praising the "I don't ask for help" bit that Wells used with his character.

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Let's put it this way; I regret spending money on it.
    In situations like this, it's okay to disappoint Spidey by becoming a filthy pirate man .

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    it's a bit sad as someone who hooked into these characters recently, that they lost you so quickly.
    At least it shows Marvel is pretty good on this speedrun category.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    In situations like this, it's okay to disappoint Spidey by becoming a filthy pirate man .
    When it came to this story, I proudly raised my Jolly Rodger and have no regrets beyond my time . Would’ve gladly supported it in trade if it had actually been good and given some hope to fixing this Chasm bullshit but, well, we all know how that went. Ah well, more money in my wallet and I voted with my wallet on this one to not support this direction.
    Last edited by Kurolegacy; 02-08-2023 at 02:56 PM.