Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I actually quite like Laura and especially Gabby, as well as the version in the movie Logan - but it's all about the execution, isn't it? The idea itself isn't all that cool, and it could have turned out terribly wrong. Heck, for a while Daken was kind of a hopelessly 'edgy' character before they started giving him actual depth in later stories.
    If the starting point is "daughter of wolverine".... that's such a simplistic story concept that it's not even a finished idea. It's a fragment of a character concept. So many other things that go into making a complete character. Rina Logan was weird because... why is Electra her mom? Why does she have Psylocke's energy daggers instead of bone claws? She does have some of Wolverine's powers like super healing and stuff, but not bone claws. She's not a real telepath either, but her energy blades can affect her opponent's mind. Part of me wonders if the character was originally designed as Psylocke's daughter. Another detail that's... interesting is how she wears a thin sash around her waist. I think both Psylocke and Electra have those though.

To make things weirder... Hudson Logan is her half-brother. Also a child of Wolverine... but somehow looks more like Sabretooth, and dresses more like Sabretooth. we have NO idea who his mother is. I would guess.... someone 8-feet tall, with grey skin, and a burly build. hmm Jotun from the realms of Asgard maybe? Sabreclaw is apparently stronger than his father.

MC2 was well enough written that only people who scrutinize the details will bother paying attention to that though.
    Last edited by marhawkman; 02-11-2023 at 10:37 PM.

If the starting point is "daughter of wolverine".... that's such a simplistic story concept that it's not even a finished idea. It's a fragment of a character concept. So many other things that go into making a complete character. Rina Logan was weird because... why is Electra her mom? Why does she have Psylocke's energy daggers instead of bone claws? She does have some of Wolverine's powers like super healing and stuff, but not bone claws. She's not a real telepath either, but her energy blades can affect her opponent's mind. Part of me wonders if the character was originally designed as Psylocke's daughter. Another detail that's... interesting is how she wears a thin sash around her waist. I think both Psylocke and Electra have those though.
    At the time she was created, Elektra was a regular character in Wolverine's series. This was the time when he was feral and noseless and Elektra was trying to bring him back to his more human state. The psi-claws were actually taught to her by Psylocke, who they establish as being her Godmother.

As for Sabreclaw, the idea that one of Wolverine's kids might hate him and look more towards Sabretooth for inspiration just seemed like a natural idea.

I'm not so sure why you're so hung-up on the idea that mutants are supposed to have the exact same powers as their parents. That's never been a given for characters.

Quote Originally Posted by vitruvian View Post
    Don't get me wrong, I actually quite like Laura and especially Gabby, as well as the version in the movie Logan - but it's all about the execution, isn't it? The idea itself isn't all that cool, and it could have turned out terribly wrong. Heck, for a while Daken was kind of a hopelessly 'edgy' character before they started giving him actual depth in later stories.
    It waters down the brand to have these clawed characters running around. Spider-Man has the same problem. Miles should be the only other Spider-character and out of Daken, Laura and Gabby two should die.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    At the time she was created, Elektra was a regular character in Wolverine's series. This was the time when he was feral and noseless and Elektra was trying to bring him back to his more human state. The psi-claws were actually taught to her by Psylocke, who they establish as being her Godmother.
    Ok, Yeah, never read the feral Wolverine run. Yeah, I get that Psylocke helped teach Rina to use her powers. Still though, it's a Mutant power, you don't just "learn" those. Sure I guess you can go with the "random differences from parents" thing. just seems odd that it's some so.... specific.
    As for Sabreclaw, the idea that one of Wolverine's kids might hate him and look more towards Sabretooth for inspiration just seemed like a natural idea.
    that's the part of the design that makes sense. also, didn't some of the older comics toy with the idea wolverine and Sabretooth were related somehow?
    I'm not so sure why you're so hung-up on the idea that mutants are supposed to have the exact same powers as their parents. That's never been a given for characters.
    honh? exactly? nah... just speculating based on similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    out of Daken, Laura and Gabby two should die.
    Good luck with that, Krakoa is now a thing. In fact, Gabby did die a short time ago, and, fearing that the authorities would let her stay dead because she's a clone, her friends sabotaged the resurrection process to get away with it anyway (it turned out it was not needed, as having a distinct personality Gabby had the same right to resurrection as everybody else).

By the way, you forgot that there is a second Laura now. Problems with the system that happen when you think someone is dead and she actually wasn't.