Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

I think not wanting to give Ben his memories is somewhat understandable if he shows no desire to stop being evil, but that's about it...

Honestly though, while what's going on with Ben can make it look like he's being treated decently, he's still in a cell alone with his thoughts, the guy really needs to go to a therapist, those issues he has are not gonna be solved by mostly alone with only an occasional visit.
    Problem there is that Ben not having his memories is the reason that he’s become the way that he is. Without his formative memories Ben’s moral compass has become completely destroyed. Peter of all people should understand just how important memories are especially after what happened to him in Superior in which he lost all but 31 of his memories and almost lost himself to Otto’s memories because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Problem there is that Ben not having his memories is the reason that he’s become the way that he is. Without his formative memories Ben’s moral compass has become completely destroyed. Peter of all people should understand just how important memories are especially after what happened to him in Superior in which he lost all but 31 of his memories and almost lost himself to Otto’s memories because of that.
    In another thread, Refrax5 made a decent point about this:

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    It didn't seem like it was just losing the memories that made him evil. It seemed like it was that tampering with his memories caused some sort of full mental collapse. Amnesia wouldn't cause him to be hallucinating and irrational and Kafka said it was dangerous to mess with clone memory implants.

It's vague, but it's pretty clear in the stories that what's happening to his brain is much more severe than just amnesia. It's more like a form of brain damage and psychosis.
    Although, now that I think more of it, even if he's right and there are other issues besides just the memory loss, the memories themselves are still really important to him.

Not to mention that, if my idea that they're thinking "Maybe they shouldn't give Spidey's memories to Ben in case he remains evil", has a simple solution too, since the way Marvel telepaths can be ridiculously flexible about how they can transfer memories and whatnot, they could always just transfer earlier stuff to at least allow him to have the memories of Spidey's first years, just so he can remember stuff like aunt May and uncle Ben to have happier memories, and hopefully make him not feel as empty.

So yeah, this is a situation that is looking worse the more I think of it, and it's already bad by default...
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 02-01-2023 at 10:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    We all know that BND was a collective mid-life crisis from Marvel back then

at least now we know that demons at least have the right taste level and know what is the Goblin Queen's outfit is the world really needs...!!

what a waste of disappointing issues...I like Madelyne's new status-quo...but fun fact: it is the same one we had already before this event started: Madelyne clearly had made peace already with most of the X-Men in New Mutants and became the ruler of Limbo associated with the X-Men who've put her in this position in the first place.

Extraordinary Member

The finale was like the rest of the event. Disappointing and low stakes.

Guys, Maddie discovered that people like boobs. She really isn't that special.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Gotta be honest never had much experience with Madelyne so I just came out of this really hating her. Got off waaaaaaaay too easy that I'm in "Cry me a river about your fucking problems".

Plus I read this primarily to keep up with Venom so the fact Maddie lied to Eddie about helping him find his son, and used him in such a way that left him utterly destroyed and on the path to becoming Meridus pisses me off because of how little Maddie made of it. At most Eddie deserves to impale her with that chainsaw arm of his.

I'll say this is prolly what annoys me the most about the Krakoa Era despite finding it pretty decent for the most part, how easy the X-Men are with the Mutant villains.

This really was not a good event, especially for poor Ben.

Who in their right mind --rejected, starved, in need of healing, or otherwise -- is gonna look at that "Embassy" and say to themselves, "Well, here goes. You tried the apps. You tried that juice cleanse. You gave it your all. Still feeling pretty worthless. Let's give THIS a shot"

This is unhinged.

I can see Maddie getting pissed and causing a THIRD Inferno, for getting weak press reviews about the overall aesthetic of her riff on the Aveda Institute.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Who in their right mind --rejected, starved, in need of healing, or otherwise -- is gonna look at that "Embassy" and say to themselves, "Well, here goes. You tried the apps. You tried that juice cleanse. You gave it your all. Still feeling pretty worthless. Let's give THIS a shot"

This is unhinged.

I can see Maddie getting pissed and causing a THIRD Inferno, for getting weak press reviews about the overall aesthetic of her riff on the Aveda Institute.
    Well, you’re not you when you’re hungry, so I can see the starved checking it out.

And a future writer will definitely ignore any character development in this series this and have Maddie be a villain who hates everyone again. Comics!

This is unhinged.

Not the Aveda Institute I’m screaming!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

Kain is some where laughing at this.

This sage needed more hellion infact they should rewrite this to make hellion limbo Spartacus

This is unhinged.

I can see goths coming to this Embassy. They're social outcasts and would love the aesthetic. Of course, I don't think Maddie can guarantee that the goths won't just get eaten by demons the second they step foot into Limbo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Extraordinary Member

It's so frustrating because the 2 main writers have already proven they are so much better than this. Wells' New Mutants and Hellions were the best X-books of their respective eras. Duggan's Savage Avengers had stakes and felt important in a way nothing in Dark Web came close to. If it was Marc Guggenheim or Tini Howard it would be easier to accept the event being this bad.

I just read this and it was as disappointing as I expected it to be, based on the rest of the crossover. The character development in this was so patchy - almost non-existent - that I'm not even clear on the arcs that are meant to have taken place or how we're meant to feel about them. In this issue alone, Madelyne came across like three different characters in different scenes (or sometimes in the same scene). Worst of all, it seemed to end with her positioned as some kind of misunderstood hero, with Ben taking full blame for an invasion she was as much responsible for as him. I suppose her 'redemption' got more screentime than 99% of the villains who got Krakoan amnesty, but it made no sense and came across as unjust. She seems to have gotten everything she wanted with no consequences despite the fact she endangered millions of lives, and the X-Men seem to be okay with that.

The biggest letdown for me is Havok. I already don't think he should be where he is, given his development throughout the 80s, 90s and 00s and Hellions gave me hope that he was at least getting back on track, but all he did was join the X-Men, have a tantrum, have an unearned and empty heart-to-heart with Scott, and now he's Madelyne's PA. Really bad stuff. Here's hoping another writer picks him up soon, breaks him away from that creepy relationship and gets him back to the character he should be.

I don't like to complain without noting at least one good thing, so in that spirit, I did like the team shot of the X-Men arriving to face down Chasm. And it's always cool to see Cyclops, Jean and Synch team up. They've become a fun little trio.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

I probably missed it. What was the reason for the Limbo Embassy? I just don't understand why she moved to the Surface. And is she part of the United Nations now?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    I probably missed it. What was the reason for the Limbo Embassy? I just don't understand why she moved to the Surface. And is she part of the United Nations now?
    Maddie's speech didn't really make it clear, but it seems to be offering a place for those who need redemption? I'm not entirely sure. What was clear is that she basically threatened the US to get it.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."